Bad experiences with Asus motherboard

Wow, I feel lucky that the only issue my old-ish ASUS motherboard has is crap fan control. The ones I had back in the day were solid. I can only assume corporate cost cutting has lead to this sad state.

Next time round I will be looking for a different vendor I think....

It's strange. I've personally never had an issue with ASUS's boards EVER. the only thing that has ever bothered me was their AMD based GPUs. they don't properly cool the VRMS and the card still manages to get insanely hot despite the massive cooler. I still kinda feel like ASUS fell off when it comes to their AMD GPUs. now it's showing in their motherboards? for the love of fuck. ASUS what are you doing?

Ever since I found out they messed with amd-vi extensions ability to operate I have put a ban on their products in my house. Sadly this was after I had bought my laptop which also had issues when I tried to run Linux on it instead of Windows. Once it does that will be my last Asus product. Never recommending them for anything to anyone ever.

Asus boards have gone to shit since about 2014 ish. Their quality control is almost non existent now , don't even get me started on the newer model sabertooths.

MSI is top notch and great customer service but if you want the absolute best overclocks its typically easier on other boards due to the analog VRMs which are a totally different overclocking experience

I have to agree with this in part. I have an M4A785-M, which was a pretty nice board for the price when it came out in 2009 or whatever, and the 990X/FX boards are pretty good, but for whatever reason things started to get a bit iffy with Z87 and really started to make me nervous to buy their products when Z97 came out.

So since you had the board there were issues from the get go..... So why you no RMA it man? Seriously. Bagging Asus cause you cant be arsed returning a board that slipped through QC for that sata port doesnt make a lot of sense. 00 code errors can be a mixed bag of 'user' errors as well.

2 Likes

Have you tried updating the bios? Do you have the latest drivers? Have you downloaded their suite of in-windows tools? Frankly this is a lot of bitching for a board that could be fine, if you updated everything. The soddering on those Sata ports is bad, but then just return the board or have it switched for a new one without those issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I'm still using W7 so the task manager is pretty barebones. I tried to check what was using the CPU but I had no luck. I also used the "powercfg -lastwake" command and the only thing waking up my PC is the power button. I disconnectec the case's power button for testing but had no luck. Checked multiple times already the power settings in Windows but everything looks fine, nothing should be able to wake up my PC. I'm gonna try the command "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" because is the last thing I can do I guess. Sorry if I went in a bit of a rant yesterday but my mood was not of the best.

Everything is up to date, except for the BIOS. I've checked the changelog for it but it's not mentioned any of the problems I got and have right now. Maybe I'm bitching a bit too much but if I spend 180$ on a board it must work, should not post 30% of the time like my previous one or have that kind of defect on the SATA ports and maybe others, God knows what. If I had a 50$ one I wouldn't even spend time here arguing with you guys. From my part I think I did everything I could or even more to make a brand new motherboard work like it should from the factory.

@deejeta I did RMA the one that was giving me the 00 error. Now this one is starting to give me problems too. What you think I may did wrong now and with the previous board? I may not be the best system builder out there but I know what I'm doing else I wouldn't even try to put toghether a system.

My mobo is perfect as of late but here is my problem.
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/speaker-fill-option-not-working-realtek-audio/92958

Still not solved, and I really dont want to deal with customer service.

Check your wiring. 9/10 it's that or drivers. As I can remember it's so good now u can plug mics into headset and have it output instead of input etc... Or verify it works on another PC or vefify your audio works on 2.1 or 5.1 with another speaker setup.

I have done builds for other people using MSI boards, but, oddly enough, I have yet to really have the opportunity really explore and test the limits of an MSI motherboard, like I have other brands.

With Asus's customer service, I have had only one experience, and it left me neither here nor there about them. I do not ever remember what the call was about, I just remember some generic Indian woman taking my call. Oddly enough, I have contact Biostar's customer service twice and found them to be pretty helpful. (One time was purely for information, and I think the second time was relating to a problem with a dead CMOS battery.)

Over the past could years, I have had the chance of really tinkering with some ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, and Biostar boards. For everyday and basic use, I was not given any issues by any of them. When it came to the provided software/firmware, I felt like ASRock had the most to offer, but I found ASUS was a step ahead of the rest when it came to BIOS features.

Other than the cosmetic soldering issue (and likely the post issue on the first board)... none of the issues you're describing have anything to do with the motherboard you're blaming it all on... it's all things that can be fixed with drivers, bios and windows settings...

Asus' customer service is kind of terrible, but other than that I prefer their motherboards (mainly cause I like the BIOS) over any other manufacturer... and I've used all of the big 4 (ASRock, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus)... I generally like ASRock for price/performance... but if I plan to overclock on it, I get an Asus...

I mean look at the "extreme overclocking" video Logan put up from China... every single person, when given the chance to use their own gear, had the same Asus board on their test bench... and world records were crumbling left and right...

Motherboard issues are kind of rare unless you do something stupid while building or unsafe voltage on overclocks... the main notorious motherboard issue I've come across was with Gigabyte 990FX boards before Rev4... they were consistently terrible...

Well then go update your bios. Even if something isn't explicitly mentioned in the change-log, it might have been fixed.

Man, I really hope you're right but I don't know what to do.

@thecaveman I'm gonna update it and hope I don't get any more problems out of it

@MisteryAngel srvchost.exe (one of the many) uses the CPU and RAM after wakeup. Should I try to upgrade from W7 to W10?

Thats basicly normal, its windows who is updating some modules.
It will automaticly go away after a few minutes, somethimes it can take a littlebit longer.

Me neither.............................UNTIL RECENTLY AND WITH X99, boy it is not X79..........:-(
too much new unnecessary garbage, IMO useless for most.
I am sticking to X79 like I stuck with X58, and that was a great decision (IT wise). all of the X58 rigs, most on for over 5 years, are still on line and running perfect ! (if it was not for the MS windows 10 MAJOR FUCKUP). MS , what a bunch of capitalistic pigs, with no respect to free decision and the user of its software, (IMO)

edit 1 = those SOB s are trying , and seemingly succeeding, in taking over our rig.......and later our personal lives.
edit 2 = boy ! that felt good...........:-)

Is there a driver uninstaller so I can do a clean install?

This was because of insufficient VRM cooling, right? I think the MOSFETs they used were pretty good, but they heatsink they provided was pretty dinky - and the BIOS had a lack of BIOS options.