Bad experiences with Asus motherboard

I'm making this post to inform all of you guys of all the troubles I'm getting through for a damn Asus motherboard. One year ago I put toghether a brand new system (specs in my profile) and since the beginning was giving me a lot of problems. The motherboard refused to boot 70% of the time, giving me an error code 00. I thought the ram were the problem so I swapped out a kit of Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mHz for a pair of G.Skill Sniper 1866mHz present on their QLV for ram compatibility. This didn't change anything so I decided to return the board. When I got the new one this is what I got

The SATA connector for the other SATA controller were soldered like this. UNBELIEVABLE. Finally, other than that detail everything seemed to be working. Then I found out that I couldn't put my PC into sleep mode (S3) because it was waking up on its own after a random amount of time, but rarely I managed to put it to sleep and not making it wake up on it's own. At least now the system is booting all the times but every now and then the fans, immediatly after I press the power button, ramp up the speed like crazy for a sec and then go back to normal.
Today something really weird happened. I managed to luckly put it into sleep mode and then when I went to wake it up the fans went all up to 100% without any reason. Windows was working fine but the fans went mental. I decided to reboot it and everything was fixed. I did some testing and everything looked fine until I noticed that after waking it up from sleep the CPU was settle to 12-13% usage and RAM used was 2.38 GB out of 8 I have. This issue was not present before, I swear. A reboot seems to fix this but now, when I reboot it sometimes the fans, when I'm about to get in Windows, go crazy again. My Windows installation is still perfectly intact, no errors whatsoever in the Windows Event Registry or any other sign of a corrupted OS installation.

Conclusion: probably I'm the unluckiest person on Earth, but my experience with Asus now is being not really good.

This is my journey, hope you enjoyed the story.

EDIT 1/20/2016: JJ from Asus has very kindly reached out to me after I sent him a message linking this topic and offered to help me out as he can to fix eveything, if possible. I'm really getting some trust back into Asus.

1 Like

No, its not just you. I have been suffering from asus quality control as well.

I had an asus x99-a board that has some really faulty USB ports.

Asus quality has been slipping like crazy. I switched over to MSI. While I am not too happy with MSI because they either have featureless boards or they have really stupid gaming boards, I can at least say that the board is stable.

mine too, 100% of the time

I'm so pissed off right now that I don't care what board I get, I just want something that works. Even a f***ing Hello Kitty board with a socket, one PCI slot and space for RAM would be fine, but it must work.

Yeup. You have no idea.

I got this MSI gaming 7 board from the microcenter returns pile.

FROM THE FUCKING RETURNS PILE

and it is still more stable than my x99-a

2 Likes

Maybe I'll follow you and get a MSI board or maybe a Gigabyte, who knows. But I want to get rid of that pile of thrash I'm still using right now. It's not even worth the weight of the materials is made of.

No. Gigabyte is worse.

I have purchased 4 gigabyte boards over the years. Various chip sets. All of them have been total pieces of shit.

All of them were supposed to be the high end variants too. The worst was a gigabyte x79 up4. And ironically the most stable gigabyte board was a free AMD mobo I got from microcenter that looked like it was made in the 80s.

If you need something cheap and good, MSI.

If you want to spend 400 bucks on a mobo, go back to asus but this time fuck the consumer crap and either get a WS board or a ROG board.

1 Like

I'm actually using a ROG board, the Maximus VII Hero. Thanks for the advice on the Gigabyte ones.

You're not the only one. I worked at a tech bench for 3 years and id say probably 80% of brand new Asus mobos were DOA. which made for some good business but I got tired of swapping them.

I'm not happy to know that many other people had issues. Do you guys think I should get a new chip too? Still the same 4790K but a brand new one. I didn't overclock or damaged it in any way but maybe it is slightly defective. I don't really know what to do.

I would have to concur. As much as Asus been down. They really never made 'PERFECT' product. I mean like flawless toyota standards. I think Gigabyte had been worst, I've pulled a PCIE slot out when pulling out my graphics card. Certain pins and sata ports break off.

Just buy brand new when it comes to Asus, it will save you headaches. Gigabyte is a bit more forgiving buying used.

Are you fucking kidding me?

And they are still pulling that crap?

Thats it. Asus is dead to me.

Yesterday I tried calling tech support to RMA my board. I called someone in the mobo department. The guy kept asking me what the issue with my router was.

Then he told me the wrong location from my serial number.

Then after 20 minutes on the phone he was like oh the server is down and I can not make a ticket.

I asked if I could get any sort of number or if he could call me back. Nope.

I called back a second time. Finally got an rma ticket made, and I still have not received any forms for the RMA.

Fucking ass clowns every god damn one.

I'm dead serious, if you want I can show you the motherboard box with piece of paper with anything you want written on it as a proof. It's a ROG board giving me all of this headache.

you guys can tweet JJ your problems, maybe he can look into it. Are the boards used? His twitter is: @ASUSTechMKTJJ
He's probagbly Asus' saving grace.

1 Like

I had a brand spanking new one and I got a replacement (with those shitty SATA connector). I basically flushed 180$ in the toilet.
I'm gonna make a Twitter account just to tweet him how shitty is the company he works in lol

1 Like

Guess I am just lucky because I bought nothing but Asus for over ten years and have never had a problem.

1 Like

2 faulty asus boards here, Rampage 4 black died after 3 weeks,replacemnt works fine as long as psu stays on standby. x-99 WS was giving me many headaches till i returned it, now second ws is somewhat ok. On boot it shows several keyboards connected and 5 to 8 hubs. And sometimes stops windows from booting.

Seems like they're unable to give out reliable motherboards, even for replacement of faulty ones. I hope they don't try to repair the malfuctioning one as best they can and then re-sell them or give them as replacement for returned ones. But I think they do or there won't be so much faulty boards around, I guess. Anyway I feel you man, we're on the same boat.

Yeah, I guess. I'm kinda envy of your luck right now because I can't have my pc out of order 4 months and return 2 boards every year because I have a defective board.

This has probably nothing to do with your motherboard.
But with Windows updating things in the background.
Check the taskmanager if trustedinstall.exe is active, and or svchost.exe is using ram and cpu.

Also to prevent your system from automatic wakeup, there should be a setting for that somewhere in the power management options from Windows.

You could also open the command prompt with admin privileges and type a few commands.

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
This command will show which devices can wakeup your system.

1 Like