Backplane of Silverstone RM43 requires TEN (10) Molex connectors...best PSU/adapter setup?

Insanity…but its what it needs. Whats the best way to power these? I dont think any PSU comes with nearly that amount. Any advice on a PSU/adapters needed? It would be ATX sized.

Thanks!

Are the ones I have used in the past

Thanks for this - on typical ATX PSUs that I’ve seen, there are PSU connectors that have a chain of 3 SATA connectors. Is it okay to use a MOLEX adapter on each one of those 3 connectors in the chain?

Yes just avoid using multiple splitters on one cable i’ve seen them burn out in this exact use case, If you stick 1 to 1 it will be okay.

1 Like

I go the expensive route, and get a modular ATX supply, and a extra cable bundle.

Cable bundle of like £50 is not cheap…

But I ran a 24x HDD rig, and the throughput, was not small, so didnt wanna worry about melting extensions…

I can have a max of 20HDDs in this chassis. Which PSU did you go with?

1 Like

Depends on the rest of the system.

I had dual GPU’s, and went for a 1000w, expecting a real sustained draw of 800w at load.

It peaked a bit higher, but nowhere near worrying about.

Another case, I have a 500w supply, for 20 odd drives, and a Threadripper, and a couple PCIe devices.
Probably only pull 350w? Maybe less even at idle.

Gotcha thank you kindly!

1 Like

FYI, I went this route. Got a nice corsair 1000watt PSU and got extra peripheral cables.

The chassis backplane diagram is saying i should only connect one backplane per molex (I think) but that just sounds like overkill to me:

1 Like

I use a single 4 pin molex for each of the sata/SAS drives on my machine.

I needed 6 molex connectors, so I got a cable pack.

You should be fine