Backblaze vs X - FreeNAS online backup

Oh, ok. Do you (or anyone else) know if backblaze is doing that too?

I used to use Crashplan before they retired the home plan and forced everybody to go to business. It did work but man, it was slow as balls. Maybe it’s faster now that they obliged the lower-value customers like me to leave.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t.

However, the stuff they exclude isn’t important at least to my use case. I’ve never been a fan of backing up OS or programs, preferring to do a fresh install if there is a catastrophic failure.

Backing up HyperV and VMware disk images could be an issue if you use those technologies. I only use KVM and can name the disk images anything, since the hypervisor doesn’t care.

1 Like

Still kinda slow for downloading. Uploading I can’t tell, as my connection is asymmetric and my upload bandwidth is very slow anyways.

1 Like

I can’t tell if uploads were slow either as I was on a 30 megabit upload plan back in those dark days before I got fiber. But yeah, if you ever need to retrieve those backups, you’d best not be in a hurry.

I download and upload to Google Drive at around eighty-five megabytes per second.

… I hate you. :yum:

And upload too! I edited it!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 36 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

The files are excluded by the client. So if protecting applications is important, have Windows build a system recovery image ISO and then the client will back it up.

You can also encrypt your account so that Code42 or anyone else has no access to your data (so they say).

I use Backblaze B2 for pretty much that exact purpose for about half a year and it went pretty smoothly from their side once rclone was set up on FreeNAS, and with their new Datacenter speeds in Europa should be faster now.
I can’t for a fact tell you that a restore works, because I’ve never done one but the Data shows up on their interface as I expect it to so it’ll have to do.

1 Like

Backblaze B2 + restic (incremental - scanning for changes is much faster than rsync, and it encrypts locally before uploading) works great. $5/TB/mo is great pricing compared to any other cloud storage provider.

1 Like

Personally, I use duplicati and Wasabi for my desktop/servers. Since FreeNAS has a direct S3 integration and Wasabi has the same S3 API interface, you could push your data directly there.

So that’s the glacier thing or what are you using? You have rough numbers available for capacity and price?

If all copies are lost, all copies are lost.
And that statement works regardless of the number of copies you make.

Pretty pointless question…

No. It is not Glacier. It is an AWS competitor that duplicated the S3 API so any S3 client should work. It is from the guys who created Carbonite.

As for cost, check for yourself. Not sure how much space you are looking at.
https://wasabi.com/pricing/?gclid=CjwKCAjw29vsBRAuEiwA9s-0B-UADvQImaRgpjh1Swrg65v_o_taFIHg9SJiJ64P-4yZr1ZT6oQImRoC-i8QAvD_BwE#cost-calc

2 Likes

Currently I am working on getting my second location figured out. Can we limit the conversation to that please?

Nice, gonna take a look. :+1:

Have you thought about just storing another similar capacity machine at a buddies place and just using rsync? Its obviously way more expensive initially but would be cheaper over time.

I think sometimes about putting my old diskstation in the server room and backing up to it from home on the weekends.

Ok, I’m sorry, I’m leaving.

I have thought about that but right now it is not what I am looking for.
I want a professional solution for this first.

@hydrian, Wasabi looks interesting and pricing seems about the same compared to backblaze. I would still go with backblaze just because of their experience. Wasabi is only operating for two years now, I think. Otherwise it looks like a solid recommendation. :+1:

I wouldn’t use crashplan. I’ve had bad a experience with em. They lost a data archive and cancelled my sub because of it, then when I needed to restore, I couldn’t. still salty about it

2 Likes