Backblaze vs X - FreeNAS online backup

Alright, very straight forward: I need an online backup solution for my FreeNAS system.

Now, I could build a machine relatively cheaply with spinning rust and have it hold a backup but it’d still be in the same building. And since I trust ZFS a lot, I feel an offsite backup is more important to me right now. I also have limited space in my apartment and I’m already running … enough systems here.

I am fairly sure that backblaze is what I want to use but …

What do you think? Am I missing something? Are there better alternatives?

EDIT

Oh right, what about crashplan?

Is it supposed to be a cloud backup or a dedicated server for keeping backups? Look maybe at:
https://www.ovh.com/world/
https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/
https://www.soyoustart.com/us/

I want it to be a backup service specifically. Minimal config, as close to plug&play as possible, nothing self-hosted.

Well, that’s basically the question I’m asking, right? :wink:
And I hope to hear from people who actually use something to do what I wanna do.

Do you have experience with that service?

Yeah, this does not look like the right thing.

On backblaze (if I understand that correctly) a business license is 60,- bucks a year. Then add a NAS with 1TB storage and the default values for everything is about 100,-. So 160,- in total.

The low speed storage on OVH is 540,- for the same capacity.

This is not meant for bulk backup storage. This is meant to be actively used.
I just want backup, someone that keeps my shit safe.

For backblaze, last I looked at it the backup was windows + mac only. And you would have to use backblaze b2 with a pay per gb used service for linux or *bsd.

Correct. That is why I calculated with a business license.

And here is how that works:

1 Like

Like I always post in these threads, GSuite for Business offers unlimited Google Drive storage for $10/month, and yes it works with only 1 user, yes I’m aware they say otherwise, yes I’m sure. Load it up with Duplicati for encrypted block-level backups and rclone for live encrypted storage.

https://rclone.org/

3 Likes

isnt there a caveat of you can only upload 750MB a day or something? I vaguely remember linus talking about this.

That would be 120,- bucks a year for something unofficial that could go poof right when I need it.

No. Sorry.

Nope, I want a backup service. One that does exactly that. Without me setting up anything more than the schedule on my machine.

750 GB/day. Doubt that would be a problem for most folks.

It isn’t unofficial, GSuite for Business is a primary Google product. I could see them choosing to enforce the 5 users for unlimited space proviso at some point in the future, but that would just force you to either switch to another service or pay more, you wouldn’t lose your data.

1 Like

The way you suggest using it is absolutely unofficial. And if I do go the official way it is expensive.

You mean not using the standard GDrive client? Google fully documents those open APIs and allows customers to use them. The only even slightly shady part is the single user thing.

No, I mean going over the official capacity of your account.

Hence the unofficialness of your suggestion.

OK, that’s your judgment call. I wouldn’t use anything remotely unofficial for critical business backups, I just backup my home lab. And media. Lots of media.

I have a media NAS as well with all the “stuff” on it. I don’t really need a backup for most of that, I have it on discs.

The data I want to secure here is critical to me. And not exclusively personal either.

I think this says how well the solution is documented and supported. I would go with your gut on this and make sure you can restore from the backup successfully.

I use crashplan and have no major complaints. Really the only problems I have is their slow connection, and they keep revising the list of automatically excluded files.

I have about 4tb backed up out there, one Linux server, one windows desktop.

I use a docker container on the Linux side, and it works great. I’ve moved the container to different servers over the years, which has been really handy.

What does that mean?

They exclude folders like “program files”, “windows” and various virtual machine disk files, etc.

They’re looking to curb storage usage IMHO.