B580 Linux support.

I’m a Linux user (Arch) with a 1070 Ti, and recently it started having issues on top of NVIDIA dropping support. I live in Brazil, and as some people may know, electronics here are very expensive. The B580 fits exactly within my budget (the RX 7600 as well, and if I can get a “bit” more money I might be able to grab a 9060 XT on sale).

I’d like to try a B580. I don’t really care much about graphics, and I don’t play many games, mostly PoE, Warframe, Factorio, and Minecraft once in a while. I’m also a programmer, and I might use the GPU for light LLM-related tasks, mainly one-line code completion inside my IDE. I’d like to know what the current state of drivers and compatibility is like, since if I buy it I’ll probably keep it for around 6~7 years (again).

Right now I have a 5600X and my motherboard supports resizable BAR (msi b450m pro vdh max). I have 32 GB of crappy non matching RAM, a pretty crappy M.2, a 1440p main monitor, and a vertical ultrawide as a secondary display.

I’d also like to know the current state of the drivers, not how things were 2, 3, or 6 months ago, since most reviews are either focused on Windows or already outdated.

1 Like

I tried the b580 on ubuntu a few wekks back and drivers just worked fine. Tried to game a little and did a little bit with ollama on it and it just worked.
That’s all the experience I have to share.

2 Likes

Since you use Arch you are using the latest stable kernel so your support for the B580 is really good. I have used an A380 with Fedora and in a TrueNAS scale box for a while and had no issues. Also, have 2 FW laptops with Intel CPU’s and the GPU on both is a version of XE, and support on both has been great. I do run Light LLM tasks on them without any issues and have played some older titles with Proton via Steam without any issues.

In my opinion the only thing really lacking for Intel GPU’s is market share. There the kid that hit puberty and is starting to look grown up.

2 Likes

Good to know that it’s fine on Ubuntu. From time to time I see ppl saying that is bad and always is having problems that’s why I want more than 2 data points.

1 Like

I am think of getting a Intel GPU to also show support, because I really don’t want the aArc division to be axed. There’s a guy that I “know” that always saying that have problems with a A380 and that performance and compatibility is not good. That’s the reason I want to see other ppl experience.

And as a Arch user I don’t shy away from troubleshooting and tweaking things.

And those ppl how say “its bug don’t buy” or “the drivers are not good now, its better wait more”, I think they don’t see how far the drivers have gone in just 1y, imagine how far they will go this year or next.

3 Likes

True that the drivers have come a long way. I got the b580 steel legend. It was originally to work with llm’s so memory proved to be an issue for my use case so went the nvidia route. Absolutely massive card, that still is in my office rig with 0 problems and performance/price is good.

1 Like

my arc b580 I think I have the Sparkle one?

the biggest complaint is that updating the firmware is a bit of a slog in linux, as the firmware isnt included in the linux driver like it is in the windows driver.

but overall, most of my gaming is in steam, its pretty solid.

1 Like

It is now available through fwupd.
Upgraded my B580 just fine.

Ive heard of this, but I haven’t gotten the option to update the firmware since i did it manually. so I wasn’t going to promise it worked