L1's Garage

Don’t get me wrong, it went, just felt like a little delay. That said I did find a turbo kit for them but not sure if it’d work with the '18 and up.

1 Like

The other concern with power adders is that CVT tend to be spec’d to the engine output more closely than traditional transmissions. They might not be able to hold power from boost.

1 Like

The 2017+ engines have pretty high compression, 12.5:1 according to Wikipedia, so I’d make extra sure the engine’s not going to blow with a turbo. Would be a fun project though.

I do like the new Imprezas. Not as sporty as the used to be, but they are a much nicer daily in my opinion.

And this is why I’m unsure about compatibility. IIRC it was 10.5 in 2016 and previous and went to 12.5 in 2017+ models.

I’m not enough of a car guy to discern what that means.

Edit  

2 Likes

N9YLSfA

1 Like

Compression Ratio

Turbo (and boost)

Essentially compression ratio is how much the air is compressed in an engine’s cylinder. With all else being the same a higher compression ratio means the air is being compressed more in the cylinder.

Turbos create boost by drawing in additional air, compressing it, and feeding that compressed air to the engine. More air means more fuel can be burned, more fuel burned means more power.

All that additional pressure can be real bad for an engine, too much can lead to all sorts of fun and exciting things like cracked or warped heads, bent or broken rods, shattered pistons, et cetera. Worst ones I’ve seen have involved engine parts exiting the engine.

Having said that, a mild amount of boost would probably be fine in a high compression engine, engines are (typically) built to handle some abuse. If the boost isn’t much then it might not be worth it to get a turbo though, turbos on a non-turbo car need tuning and can require regular maintenance. Also need to run premium fuel with most turbo cars, and that can get expensive pretty quick.

2 Likes

This is the kit, but like I said, I’m not much of a car guy so not sure what’s relevant here (good or bad):

http://www.avoturboworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=303:subaru-crosstrek-xv-turbocharger-kit&catid=3:general-news&Itemid=31

Does note it’s the XV model which is pre-2016 naming scheme.

Found a discussion thread here: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/engine-drivetrain/91290-avo-turboworld-turbo-kit.html

1 Like

this 59 corvette rolled into work saturday.
the person is blurred out by their request.

6 Likes

Damn, beautiful!

Just a preview of the weekend.

3 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

I’ve polished before, I just decided to buy a better one. I have an old harbor freight polisher from like 2008 or so. It works, but the gearbox is a bit whiney, so I opened it up to inspect and it was all metal shavings and cooked grease.

That’s my cars total performance
//Cries

2 Likes

Apparently I’m getting a 2018 Subaru Forester manual for a loaner while my car is getting its short block replaced.

Should be fun with that extra 20HP compared to my car.

4 Likes

You driving a Geo Metro?

Edit  

1 Like

I was wondering if you could update the dash in a pre 98 S10, but that sounds like a solid no, which is good to know. Also definitely good to know about the pedals.
My cousin has a fully loaded Blazer and he might hire me to do a manual swap to it.

Actually looking at that photo the pedal assembly looks way different.

That’s nice that the actual pedals stayed pretty much the same.

Suzuki Alto

Slightly off topic but it’s a drifting vlogger so i figured i’d bring it up here.

Anyone watch Adam LZ? the rumors his wife left him are flying around like crazy dafuq is going on.