L1's Garage

DAMN. That’s a long time.

1 Like

Consider this too. It was between this bike and a 2014 model. 2 at the same dealer that had been on the floor since 2014 and it was then 2017 going on 2018. Looks like those two sold “6.5k” for a 12k retail bike. And they have one for 7k 2015. Same dealer.

I always thought VFR’s were good bikes. Do you have any insight into why they don’t sell?

It’s super niche. A 550lb bike making only ~100hp. Its a dated design. 99 saw the new model I believe, and then 02 got the engine modified for VTEC. 02-04 are the same. 05 got some electrical improvements. 06-13 had more electrical improvements. 14 got new plastics. More or less the same bike since 2002 being sold as a 2018 model.

So while a great bike, its dated af. So more limited to a cult following. Its not a supersport, its heavy, not as comfy as the couches that some tourers are. Good at everything, not great at anything (Ignoring that it is one of the best sounding bikes on the market. Ducati’s have nothing on this. They have good sounding engines and the worst clutch noise imaginable)

I would wager, if they made it lighter, it could be a competent starter bike. Or if they gave it 200hp to match those 550lbs, people would look to it as superbike with more personality then the I4’s. I would love to see the latter. Give it some power. The 200k$ RC213V-S doesnt need to be the only powerhouse V4 on honda’s lineup.

All of this said, it is still a bike that has a hardcore following. Those of us with them have odo’s with over 200k in some cases. Much like the goldwing fandom. You simply dont see that with any other bikes. “Yea my zx10r is getting up there” 30k miles

For reference even with months of downtime from the wreck and the break down with the cracked crankcase, I still clocked 13k miles on my bike this past year.

1 Like

It’s a good bike but who’s it for?

1 Like

valid point. I don’t think I would buy one, given the opportunity.

I would :smiley: If they release a newer one, with some actual electronics, and maybe some more reasonable hp numbers with that kind of weight, I’d happily buy that one too.

More then anything it has got to eat miles though. 200k should not be surprising for that to still be a VFR with it’s current following.

1 Like

The idea of fitting a 2JZ to my truck keeps growing on me.
I was looking at ways i could dress it up so it wouldn’t look too out of place in the engine bay of a 70s Chevy truck, i think this is perfect, i’m going to try and make it look like this when i eventually swap the engine in.
Probably no ITBs though, they’re a tad difficult to get.

I’ve never seen an OEM option for 2jz ITBs, they are always hacks (I believe one setup was using motorcycle ITBs)- do you know where/what the ITBs in the picture are from?

The fucking sound though. That alone would be worth it.

1 Like

I found it here, not sure what they are

1 Like

Ah yeah!
Perhaps later, maybe, i’m thinking about a single turbo setup on mine…

nah thats overdone, supercharge it.

Roots or centrifugal?
Pretty sure i never seen a centrifugal charged exemple.

The 2nd gear in the jeep was fubared grinded every shift and the owner of the truck blew me off completely he was supposed to give me the address early enough for me to get there at 6 he never sent it.

struggle bus intensifies.

Shoulda bought that Legacy wagon.

Now I finally have some decent weather to work with, and a new set of brake calipers arriving tomorrow. Time to go to town.

1 Like

dont know what to think of that really… the back looks a bit like a 350z oder 370z
The front is like someone cut about 2-3 feet of the front from 6 series and squished it a bit…
So not really sold on that car atm

I forgot to mention, my (new) car is having fun

• Couple weeks ago the low oil light turns on, so I put in 1/2 quart so it’s not low before I can get to a Subaru dealership
    • Dealer I bought it from stated it had a fresh oil change with Subaru parts/oil
  • Make it to the dealership, state I’d like to get an oil change and start the oil consumption test (car is one of the affected model years)
  • Apparently first oil change on Subaru is free?
  • About an hour goes by and the service advisor girl comes back with a bunch of papers, car got a multi-point inspection (y tho?)
  • “Oil level was good, but we changed it per request”
    • Apparently the “I added 1/2 quart because the oil light came on” didn’t make it from my vocal chords to the paper?
  • Whatever, free oil change and the car is marked for oil consumption test
  • Get home and check the oil. It’s over 1/2 inch above the ‘full’ line.
    • How do they fuck up an oil change? srsly.
  • Call dealership, they tell me to bring it back when I can and they’ll fix.
  • Bring it back, another hour sitting, and a different service girl comes out saying they drained some oil and she checked it herself and its good.
  • I ask if I can borrow a rag and check myself.
  • “It’s good, I checked it myself”
  • “Can I get a rag to check?”
  • “You’re all set, you’re good to go”
  • Obviously getting nowhere with them, leave
  • Oil is now about 1/8 inch above the line, but still above the fill line

Good thing I took pictures of the oil line when I checked the oil after thr first time and I’m pretty sure they didn’t put the car in the computer the second time, so if they say the car is barely not consuming enough oil I’m just going to show them pictures of the oil level on the date of the oil change that’s in the computer. “No shit it’s not showing high consumption, it was overfilled”.

2 Likes

Spoider not knowing whats going on and asks a question. Its not supposed to be consuming oil at all? lul I only know rotaries to actually consume oil.