L1's Garage

Status update: Miata is back up on stands, gonna bleed the brakes today or tomorrow, whenever I have time. Once that’s done, I’m taking it out for a couple drives to make sure it’s not a death trap, then I’m switching back to the megasquirt to chase down that electrical problem. Then turbo.

So, list:

1. fix brake hydraulics
  2. plug megasquirt back in
  3. wire Wideband to signal ground on MS
  4. wire AC switch through megasquirt so I can handle idle-up in software
  5. buy turbo
  6. Possibly wire in switch to enable/disable flatfoot shifting and two-step.
  7. Wire electronic boost controller
  8. Wire map switch
  9. googley eyes for pop-ups because… ya know…
  10. fix suspension rattles
  11. replace cluster shroud since it’s cracked
  12. stop AC from blowing dust
  13. replace upper dash because crack
  14. roll bar?
  15. seats, wheel and harness?

EDIT: More things to do.

He’s got a motor that has a recall for high oil consumption. (most likely piston rings or valve guides)

He took it into the dealership for the recall and they make sure the engine has that problem with a consumption test.

1 Like

I am now less confused. Cool. lul.

The 2012-2013 Subaru Imprezas are known for consuming excessive amounts of oil. After a class action lawsuit (of like 8 people) Subaru agreed to extend the warranty on certain model years of Subarus to cover the oil consumption. My car went through an entire quart in 3000 miles. The recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles, so my car would consume about 2.5 quarts of oil, or just under half of its capacity, within the recommended oil change interval.

You do not want to pay for the fix out of pocket because the fix involves replacing the entire shortblock, which is over $2000 by itself. Add in gaskets, bolts, washers, ~12 hours of labor, and whatnot and it would get very expensive very quick.

1 Like

new front rotors on the saab, would take pictures but lineageos

1 Like

I’m at BMW in Munich, have some Z4 pictures

IMG_20180825_142101 IMG_20180825_142130

1 Like

Engine from the Lola BMW

IMG_20180825_150318

1 Like

From the '99 LMR

IMG_20180825_150551

1 Like

All the 3 series up til the E90

M3 GTR, all time video game favourite?

2 Likes

So, have we gone full circle here? I think the first major topic of the megathread was the z5 concept.

Not sure how I feel about the interior, but overall, I’d give it 6/10. Too many harsh angles. I like the z3 for a reason.

That said, it’s gonna sell like hotcakes if they have a good engine in it and if you can turn off all the nannies.

I liked it in person, I think it will attract more buyers than the z3.

1 Like

I agree it will sell better, but the fact of the matter is that they’re going to be hard pressed to beat the value of the 2019 mx5. If they do, it’s gonna have my dollar though.

This is still just a concept, right? I hope they soften it up a bit before finality. The problem I see with it is that they’re cannibalizing their own market. This would be something for the person who wants a 2-seat m3, not someone who would otherwise buy a Miata. Also, if they don’t offer a 6 speed manual, they’re going to regret it.

Yes, but it looked very close to production ready.

I have a feeling they won’t.

Idk, I feel like its still two different cars, I’d be in the market for an M3, but not the Z4.

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce this is the production model

2 Likes

Maybe I’m biased. When I was in the market for a e36 m3, I skipped on that in lieu of my Miata and that turned out to be the best decision I’ve made in a while.

What’s the target market then? I always thought roadsters were for people who enjoyed driving. I get that dual-clutch autos can be fun, but I’d much rather have a manually operated clutch for my weekend car.

Agreed. They’re going to need to change the headlights, taillights and change up the plate mounts, from what I can see. This won’t sell in the US as is.

1 Like

Oh, that looks much better. I’d give that an 8/10 on looks.

1 Like

The first one is coming with the 340hp straight six bi-turbo engine.

Older peeps who want a fancy cabriolet I suppose.

1 Like

Fair point.

I don’t know why they want two turbos as opposed to one with less rotational mass. It’s not like they’re making 3bar or so on that engine, which would justify one small and one larger.

Complexity for dick measuring is not cool.

But one way or another 340hp isn’t bad at all. That’s pretty much m3 performance range if the weight is gonna be similar.

I think outside Europe it has a different engine with 385hp

That’s interesting. They used to hamstring the engines for the NA market. I guess regulations probably caught up with them, huh.

Yeah the euro 6 regulations are rough.

I’m not entirely sure it has two turbos, engine model numbers are B58B30M0 and B58B30O1.