L1's Garage

Cheap tires with good ratings :roll_eyes:

Regardless, I’m probably not going to get them. The listing mentions that cold weather may damage the tire, and I live in Maine, so yeah. Doubly so since I’m pretty sure Mother Nature is completely sloshed most of the time up here.

fixed that for you. :slight_smile:

they look like decent tires and Riken is okay.
Have you considered Kuhmo?
I know a guy who is a Porsche mechanic and he is always telling me to get those.

$72
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+LX+Platinum&partnum=055WR6ELXV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I don’t actually need tires at all right now, I was just contemplating them because they were cheap and had decent ratings. For now my Yokohamas will be plenty fine.

I do need tires. I have Semprit Speedsport snow tires and they are very good with plenty of tread . . .
but I got them about 10 years ago. They have those dry rubber cracks and are very hard with no grip.

wing
FAIR

I started a community for the cause on facebook. @FormulateAIR

The mission of the community is for fans to propose ways to make Formula 1 cars aerodynamics less sensitive to dirty air, so a following car can pass, while still having the same amount of downforce.

Cars like this 2017 McLaren work in Computational Fluid Dynamics, they work in a wind tunnel, they work when they are the only car on the track. They don’t work when there are 10 cars in front of them making a turbulent wake. This weekend Kimi Räikkönen (one of my favorite drivers) got on the radio to say
"This is so boring. I can catch these guys but it’s impossible to pass."

McLaren MP4-8

This McLaren from 1993 may be a few seconds slower per lap, but at least they could race each other.

Just got my hands on this thing:

IMG_20171115_124142

'87 Ranger. Needs a lot of work just to get it running, but I got it for next to nothing. Not sure if I want to just use it as a beater truck or make it nice. Also depending on how bad the engine is I might be putting a V8 in it instead of getting another 2.9 V6… Decisions, decisions. This all being said, it’s going to have all sorts of strange things done to it that don’t make sense for a 1/4 ton truck (tow mirrors potentially being one of them) regardless.

I’ll be starting up a Blog post when work starts getting done to it. Won’t be for at least another month though, my plow truck needs attention first since winter is coming… That thing currently only goes backwards…

3 Likes

A great tech section; http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

2 Likes

Is that a 4x4?

Sounds like you’re using it to tow, what are you towing?

I bought my 99 Blazer to tow my car projects around, and it did better than I would have though, I’ve only towed 1 project so far and it got 14 MPG going 60 MPH with that load (89 Mazda 323).

Anyone run a megasquirt here? I had an MS2 and now have an MS3Pro from DIY Autotune. Just started to dable with it again. Might be getting a 2jz-gte VVTi to swap into the ole’ IS300 soon.

1 Like

9 Likes

I don’t use ms, but I’ve got a friend with a LS1 in his E30 running it and he’s happy with it.

I didn’t know Amazon sold tires until now.

Neat.

1 Like

P3000´s i think they were, not fully sure.
But they didnt really do well on our Merc.
Atleast i didnt really felt that comfortable with those tires.

I think DIY autotuning supports the LS series heavily.

Designed in the UK.
Built in Virginia with a 300HP supercharged Honda Accord engine made in Ohio.
1,700 pounds. Weight not currency, this is a 'Murican car.

I love when Jay screams and cackles like an idiot. The guy knows how to have fun!

4 Likes

But on the ms3 note, anyone run the Greddy emu? AEM FIC? Split second o2 enricher? I’m kind of an ems junky.

Alright, turns out I do need* tires for when summer rolls around again. I’ve narrowed it down to four selections after some research. 205/55R16 if it matters.

• Sumitomo HTR A/S P02
  • Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring
  • Kumho Solus TA11
  • Falken Ziex ZE950

0 voters

*Well, it’s not really need, but more of a want. I could use my winters since they the tread is getting thin, but those are a little too soft for my liking.

I’ve just picked up my new car, less than 1 year old with 6000 miles - I paid around £11k less than brand new. 2.0 turbo diesel, pulls really well, with room for tuning via an engine remap if I get bored :smiley:

Leon_FR

3 Likes

Yeah, LS, RB, SR, and the JZ engines work very well with it as well.

Basically all the fun tuner engines.

IMG_20171119_153050
Nodded the emu, removed the little switches on the PCB, soldered on a header, harness and rockerswitch so I can switch fuel and timing maps when filling up on e85

3 Likes