Automatic Driver installers

Hey guys, a few days ago when I tried connecting my bluetooth speakers via bluetooth I noticed audio stuttering I wasn’t able to fix. After googling the problem for a while I stumbled over a superuser.com ask where the poster has the same issues and resolved them by means of the software linked below.

Now, I’m wondering whether or not software such as this is secure or should be generally avoided. It did indeed find newer drivers, even though I’ve installed the latest version (at least according to the mainboard manufacturer). Furthermore, I even discovered newer AMD chipset drivers, even though I have the latest installed.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks! :slight_smile:

https://drp.su/en/foradmin

Edit: Unrelated to my question but related to my bluetooth stuttering:

My question remains though, just added this for completeness sake.

The main thing to look for with Windows is if the driver is signed. If it is not signed then how do you know it is really from the provider it is claimed to be from?

If a driver is not signed you can expect to see something along the lines of:

“Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.”

EDIT: Just remembered - Troy Hunt mentions a bit about this regarding some hardware he purchased that did not sign their drivers: https://www.troyhunt.com/weekly-update-128/

2 Likes

Thanks, even though I was aware of Windows’ driver signing practice, I completely forgot it.
As a result, as long as these drivers are signed everything should be fine…neat :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s the theory. When you look at pages like this one you realize there must be scope to cock up.

But the introduction of driver signing did a lot to tighten Windows security. RootKits etc became a lot rarer as a result, although still do exist, the whitepaper on the following link talks about how a digitally signed rootkit was at the core of some malware:

1 Like

Thanks again :slight_smile: