Audio noise from KVM

I have the Level1Techs 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Dual Monitor - Two Computer and have been using it for a few months. Static type noise is coming from the audio out based on video content (even if input computer is muted). The noise is still present if the source computer is sending audio. This sounds like electronic interference/static of some kind.

I already replaced all my input and output audio cables with heavily shielded and short cables. Issue still present. If I bypass the KVM there is no static noise. I’m quite sure the noise is being generated by the KVM. Is the KVM defective, a common issue, or fixable?

This kind of sound is commonly due to ground loops - differences in ground cause tiny amounts of energy to pass from one ground to another.

Is the KVM plugged into the same AC circuit as your PCs? Also try unplugging things, and tell us if it stops after unplugging something.

1 Like

Thanks, everything is definitely the same as far as power sources. I’ll try isolating power and do some more testing.

Ground loop isolator is your friend

I purchased/installed one of these and it does seem to eliminate the issue 99% of the time. Thanks for the advice!