Attention amd vfio users do not update your bios

I’m not the one who posted it :slight_smile:

Woops, sorry, I meant to address my last couple of comments to you.

well, i figured out the formatting per my pci ids, i compiled the kernel and booted into it. And I’m able to boot my VM and get display from the guest gpu! … for one boot per host boot. I need to reboot my entire machine if I am to get it to boot again…close but no cigar I guess?

do you have any experience with applying that patch?

I suspect they might point you at the website they contribute to, but I don’t know the page.
Maybe:

This is one of the reasons why mobo manufacturers should,
put dual bios chips with physical switch on their boards.
Instead of useless RGB.

Still kinda interesting…

In my opinion its always better to wait a while before jumping on a new bios.
So that issues like this can be iron’d out.

2 Likes

gigabyte dual bios is throroughly useless because they don’t let you switch them manually on most boards but generally yes.

oh hey man sorry, didnt see those early replies

procedure varies a little from distro to distro but you either edit the source lines yourself or make a patch file and follow the patching procedure provided in a tutorial that matches your distro and release number.

this particular workaround is only known good on some boards so far tho so there’s no guarantees.

if you need live support on it ask over here:

Yeah, I was able to finally patch the kernel and edit the patch for my PCI IDs but the VM only runs once per host boot, and stuttering is awful. Just runs like shit overall. I joined that Discord server in hope of getting some help. Thanks

I’m using arch linux. I patched the kernel just fine and VM boots up now, but only once per host boot, and it runs like crap. Basically might as well still be completely broken.

just to inform: I had this problem a few weeks ago when upgraded to latest bios on my Asus prime x370 prime a the time (v4602), but I able was downgrade to v4406 with no problem and it worked again. Haven’t tested most recent bios version (v4801).

yeah I think x470 is the only one you can’t downgrade on right now unfortunately

Anyone have experience forcing a BIOS revert on x470? @wendell -sama?

Best hope is a dual bios board or AFUWin capsule mode

Taichi x470 latest BIOS.

I wish i read this or that yellow text better before updating my bios. I didnt run into any major issues stopping me from using my PC.

However… I cannot run qemu getting vfio error for the RX 580 which is the Guest card for my VM - Windows dedicated.

Error: VFIO: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3

Anyone know how to solve that yet?

Obviously this is a bios issue, with ASRock.

If i felt adventurous could switch on the solder station and take off the bios chip then erase it with older bios.

Decided to give my first kernel hacking a try.

It’s compiling now but i noticed a bunch of other people having the same issues as I did above, https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/b7249z/asrock_ab350_pro4_downgradevfio_issues/en0jm04/?context=3

Incase this might help anyone else.

Aiber put out a new patch iirc

got a link?

https://clbin.com/VCiYJ

3 Likes

So im prob too pleb, Errors in formatting or something maybe. - problem fixed, I wasn’t doing it anywhere near right. Figured it out.

@tkoham was this posted in IRC? or you got actual source where this was spoken/posted?