Attempting to build libgcc7. Build fails, but I'm not sure why?

Apologies for not using a paste site, however this build is SO big I had to leave it running overnight. I’ll use the code tag here and drop the file on a sharing site if anyone doesn’t want to use the code display here.

So ATM I’m trying to get some basic tools on OSX for porting some stuff. For starts, I wanted to port RetroArch as a test of the hardware, on top of packaging 1.7.8 for ppc, which isn’t available on the site. But, it still builds for the most part, I just need gcc48. To have gcc48, I need libgcc6 and 7. I’m not quite sure what failed, but there are a lot of missing flags. I’m not completely sure how to make those flags available, and on my other G5, either from void or ubuntu mate, I’ll build there and see if its just architecture limitations, but I don’t think thats the case.

Actually it turns out the log itself is 12mb big and keeps crashing my G5 browsers so I’ll just post the file on a file sharing site.

https://mega.nz/#!GcNFEQgY!RQT1F7ZIAggr7LzkNSU54e6DmLFH6y86Xqkd_Mi_vDw

This is on my personal mega. I’d use the code tag, but I don’t feel like crashing my browser on my thinkpad either LOL.

Is it that flags are missing? How do I resolve that?

And before anyone says ‘build libgcc6 first’ it wants 7, then 6. Apparently 7 is a dependancy of 6???

^ GCC is trash. Use LLVM/CLANG /s

notice:configure --->  Configuring libgcc7
:debug:configure Preferred compilers: gcc-4.2 apple-gcc-4.2 gcc-4.0 macports-gcc-6 macports-gcc-7
:debug:configure Using compiler 'Xcode GCC 4.2'
:debug:configure Executing proc-pre-org.macports.configure-configure-0
:error:configure libgcc7 cannot be built while libunwind-headers is active.
:error:configure Please forcibly deactivate libunwind-headers, e.g. by running:
:error:configure     sudo port -f deactivate libunwind-headers
:error:configure Then try again. You can reactivate libunwind-headers again later.
:error:configure Failed to configure libgcc7: libunwind-headers is active
:debug:configure Error code: NONE
:debug:configure Backtrace: libunwind-headers is active
:debug:configure     while executing
:debug:configure "$pre $targetname"
:error:configure See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/main.log for details.

No real time stamps so don’t know if you actually worked around this but…

:info:build rm -f stage_current
:info:build make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/work/build'
:info:build Comparing stages 2 and 3
:info:build warning: gcc/cc1obj-checksum.o differs
:info:build warning: gcc/cc1objplus-checksum.o differs
:info:build Bootstrap comparison failure!
:info:build gcc/gcc.o differs
:info:build make[2]: *** [compare] Error 1
:info:build make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/work/build'
:info:build make[1]: *** [stage3-bubble] Error 2
:info:build make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/work/build'
:info:build make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
:info:build make: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/work/build'
:info:build Command failed:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/work/build" && /usr/bin/make -j2 -w bootstrap-lean 
:info:build Exit code: 2
:error:build Failed to build libgcc7: command execution failed
:debug:build Error code: CHILDSTATUS 45326 2
:debug:build Backtrace: command execution failed
:debug:build     while executing
:debug:build "system {*}$notty {*}$nice $fullcmdstring"
:debug:build     invoked from within
:debug:build "command_exec build"
:debug:build     (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 8)
:debug:build     invoked from within
:debug:build "$procedure $targetname"
:error:build See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc7/libgcc7/main.log for details.

It looks like there is something that may have modified “gcc/cc1obj-checksum.o” and “gcc/cc1objplus-checksum.o”

Is there reason why you are not using one of the recommended flavors of GCC?

I have apple 42 installed. I’m letting ports do its thing pretty much. I’ll have time in the morning to really investigate this. I think its defaulting to what was installed first, so I’ll dig into this more tomorrow and see what my outcomes are.

So this is an interesting find. This didn’t come up when I went to search for stuff on ppc gcc originally.

http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

Imma hope for the best. Maybe this will help with the BS on this build?

I also just found a benchmark.

http://hpc.sourceforge.net/index2.php

I think the G4 entry might be a typo, but look at that shit! A G5 can do 5 and a half times more performance than other machines this guy has tested with.

Thanks altivec you dank.

Altivec is the Bestivec.

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on that Cell BE 8i card. I don’t think that my FX-6300 will provide it much justice though.
**edit

Sorry, I was in the wrong thread :confused:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue: cool

Reserve future convo for the PPC/POW discussion thread tho.

No issues :stuck_out_tongue: