Asus x99 Deluxe CPU Killer?

Hey everyone, I’ve watched Windell on Youtube for years and have learned a lot of things, but I’ve got a problem that’s stumped me and costing money. this is gonna be quite long.

I bought a i7 5820k and a Asus x99 deluxe and 32GB of DDR4 ram around 2014 or so, After a few little problems with the RAM on the board and few bios updates later the system ran perfect for quite awhile until recently or well early this year. I updated the bios to the newest I possibly could for the Intel flaws and what not, the CPU was at 4.6ghz for 3 years at 1.3v with cache and everything else at stock but the LCC, CPU was cooled by an H100i GTX for them 3 years.

Anyway one day I shut the PC down and unplugged it from the wall as there was suppose to be storms that night, Next morning I went to work and came home to play some Wildlands, plugged the PC in, and powered it on and I get a message something along the lines of “CPU Overvolt Error, Press F2 or Delete to enter setup”, So I loaded up into bios and I seen vCore at 1.82. I loaded up defaults and restarted, And now the system gets stuck at I believe it said 33, I just remember the manual saying it has something to do with the CPU cache and gets stuck at 00 more often than 33 and eventually shuts down.

I went to MicroCenter a bought another 5820k that was $250 out the door, Popped it into my board, worked great for about a month at stock values, I was far to busy with work to really spend the time to overclock it, Well I was greeted with the “CPU Overvolt Error!” screen again, this time it just froze so I unplugged it as fast as I could after previous experience, but its stuck at QC 00, Great another dead CPU!

Contacted Asus, I sent the board back to Asus expecting a replacement but they said they could not find a problem and sent it back to me, Intel did replace the CPU at no cost but to ship it, Well I got it all installed again in my Corsair Air 540, It worked for a week before it destroyed another 5820k, got stuck at QC 00, this was in July of 2018.

Asus did finally replace the board as the one guy said it may be an underlying problem that can’t be picked up right away and requires long term testing, so they just sent me a refurbished model of the the same revision Deluxe board, Intel sent me another CPU, This one lasted up until the middle of August where it developed the same problem, QC 00 with a LED by the CPU and it will reboot after 5 min on the dot.

Asus replaced the board again with a refurbished one after a few long and unprofessional Mean support agent guy that I wont name… Im sure it works, but Intel refused to replace the CPU, So Im stuck with a dead 5820k and Asus motherboard that I can’t trust.

Well I decided to look around and found a real good deal on a i7 5960x with a motherboard and RAM for just over $500 bucks so I jumped on it and thats what I’ve been running and its been rock solid, I tried the 5820k in my EVGA board, its dead as a door nail unfortunately.

I read some forums about Asus OC socket that may have killed other users 6950x even, Has anyone else have had any issues at all with Asus boards and their OC socket on the x99 platform? No way in the world am I sticking my 5960x in there…

Asus left a bad taste in my mouth after that support guy, I ended up having to talk to supervisor at that call center of theirs…

Thanks
Viking2121

Well yeah unfortunatlly there have been some issues in the past with certain Asus X99 boards.
I believe it were the Deluxe and Sabertooth in particular.
However the issue seem to have been with a certain bad bios, that indeed overvolted the cpu for no reason.
So it doesnt have to be said board specific i guess.

If i remember correctlly asus fixed the issues back then with a bios update.
So it might be that with a recent update the issue came back again idk.
I have not really heard issues according to this latelly.
But yeah it definitelly sucks, and was a known issue in the past.
Strangely enough most complaints back in the day were with the Deluxe and Sabertooth boards in particular, which is kinda strange.
Because the bioses are basically very similar.

Maybe your right, somehow that bug or another bug ended up on one of the bios, The replacement also had the newest bios at the time

Costed me quit a bit in shipping if I think about it. I guess im just mad at the guy at Asus and a problem that seemed to happen only on their boards that didn’t have the standard Intel spec socket.

my X99 deluxe was poop and never work correctly with memory pretty sure it was more of an intel problem, but not it runs a hypervisor in my house so i could care less about ram speed. (QVL Ram on both MB site and Ram Vendor)

I had a lot a problems with memory on my first Deluxe, I had 4 stick to run in quad channel, and the Left bank by the IO the sticks would not work, Sometimes 1 of the stick on the left bank would work, sometimes both them would not work, But you could open up CPU-Z and the SPD tab, you can see the sticks of ram.

Bios update seem to fix it though for me.