Asus VivoBook E402NA

Hello!

I’m considering getting a VivoBook E402NA for someone, but since I’m going to be administering the machine I want it to run Linux. This is kind of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone here has put Linux on this thing before and could tell me if it works? I couldn’t find any reports of people putting Linux on this particular model.

looks like it comes with Atheros AR956X as wifi, that should be fine. it may have an issue with the SD card reader, but thats the worst i see on it.

all the other hardware is normal.

post #10 here

that person had wifi issues, likely could be solved with a few hours playing with drivers or swapping out the WIFI for something… intel

I’m not sure the E402MA is the same model as the E402NA, but either way, after some more digging I was able to find a (possibly dodgy ) store selling spare parts for the E402NA. It looks like the specific configuration I’m looking at has a QCNFA435 which, if I’ve understood correctly, should work more or less out of the box.

It’ll be a bit unfortunate if the SD card reader doesn’t work, but so long as everything else works, it’ll be good enough.

I’m probably going to pull the trigger on this, and I’ll try to remember to report back on if and how I run into problems.