Asus Strix x570 -E gaming Q code Error 36 No post

I got this board Asus Strix x570 -E gaming and I cannot get it to post.
It shows Q code/Error 36 and white VGA light shines.
Screen is black, no post.

Code 36 = “cpu post-memory initialization”

Everything lights and spin up then it goes through some codes then at the end before freeze it’s error 36->39->36 and freezes on that code 36.
All fans slow down to low speed when it get stuck on 36 and nothing more happens. I been waiting for 6+ hours.

My specs:
AMD 5900X
ASUS x570 -E Gaming
Corsair 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX
CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
ASUS STRIX 1080 TI OC

I tried everything.
Reflashed Bios using bios flashback and tested all 4 different versions that support Ryzen 5000 series many many times.
Flash process shows light blinking slow then fast, like it should for successful flash.
I tried many different USBsticks to flash from.
Flashed with only 24pin power and motherboard connected.
With only cpu connected, without ram and so on till full setup with disks and everything connected.

I resetted CMoS many times by jumper, by removing battery for 2 minutes up to 30 hours and by shorting the poles on battery contacts after battery was removed.

I reseated CPU several times.
Checked pins and all sockets, RAM,CPU,GPU.
I tested 1 ram stick in slot A2, and also every other slot there is.
All cables have been reseated many times.

GPU and PSU works perfect in my old computer that I use right now.
I even tested another GPU, same error.
I even get same error without any GPU at all in the motherboard.
I tested connecting 3 different screens with many different HDMI cables and even one DVI.

If I press Reset button when it’s on error 36, it just restarts over and over with code 00 and restart every 1-1.5 sec.

Any idea what cause error 36 “cpu post-memory initialization” and at the same time VGA light?

What happens when you remove the RAM from the board and then boot. You should get a RAM not present error.

IT could be that your RAM is not on the QVL. I do not see “CMK64GX4M2E3200C16” on the official list. It may be black listed by the board for known issues. The “MK64GX4M2C3200C16 (Ver5.49)” is the only listed 32GiB x2 kit listed with support on their list for Ryzen 5000, https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570.pdf

1 Like

Yes I tried removed all ram sticks.
Then I get error 21 and Yellow DRAM light shining.

So I am going to go with the fact that the RAM that you bought is not supported and may be black listed, IE ASUS has called the kit out to not work. Or they may have whitelisted only the parts that are mentioned in the link. Eitherway, you may need to exchange RAM for something on the QVL.

1 Like

Exact same Problem here! System runs perfectly, then i changed my GTX 1080 Ti for a RTX 3090 FE and directly after that i have same Error Code “36” and black screen. I tested different old RAM (which worked in my previous system) but same error code. Switching back to old graphic card or even complete removing does not help, if i remove card complete then i get error code “Ed” which is reserved code.
Did you find something out?
What to do next?

1 Like

That is so strange you got the error on a working board by switching gpu and that you cannot switch back!

I have not been able to solve the problem.
I tried the newest Bios version 3001 today and it did not work. Still the 36 error.

I’m going to send my motherboard back.

I got in contact with a guy that had error 36 as well, he had tried 2 CPUs, switched ram, GPU, PSU everything and in the end he said he sent it back and said he got the same board back and that they updated Bios and it now worked. He think it was version 2806(first version to support ryzen 5000 series) and I believe they changed it by using an older GPU instead of the USB flashback but I’m not sure.

This error is very strange…

I returned the motherboard to vendor, they tested it with an 5800X CPU and unknown RAM,GPU and PSU.
They got it to post and boot windows10.

They returned it to me.
With my hardware, it still don’t post.
Still Error 36 “cpu post-memory initialization” and white VGA LED.

I bought a new set of memory, that is on the QVL.
I tried 1 stick in every possible slot, 2 sticks in every possible slot and 4 sticks.
Still exactly the same problem.

I tried again to flash all BIOSes that support 5900X CPUs, nothing changed.

So, you may have toasted your CPU or GPU.

Did you actually lay eyes on it working at the shop? I would call them up and ask the exactly what hardware they used. If it is you may be able to swap. If not, then you can have them diagnose which parts that you bought are not working. Right now, you have only ruled out the motherboard, if it did post for them.

I found the problem!
It was my Corsair AX1200i PSU.

Motherboard posts with another PSU.

1 Like

Nice,

Is the PSU dead or does it not have the correct hookups to the Motherboard?

PSU works fine in my old computer with the same 24pin and 8pin and also same GPU.
On this new motherboard everything powers up but before motherboard can post it gets error 36 and white VGA led.

Just plugging in another PSU makes motherboard post correctly.
Changing back to this PSU and it don’t post again.

1 Like

That is quite strange. I am glad that you found the issue though.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.