ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Busted HDMI Port Causing Others to Not Work?

Dear level1ers,

I got my hands on a GTX 1080 that has a broken HDMI port for super cheap, and it works through the first two Display Port connections. However, the other HDMI port and DVI-D port on the GPU does not seem to work at all. I was curious if this is due to the HDMI before those last two connectors being broken? I will attach an image circling the port that is bad on my card. If it is not the card itself, perhaps it could be my install of Windows 10 or current drivers? Leave your thoughts below–any help is greatly appreciated.

Ducks

If it’s a pin short, it could affect the GPU itself. Sounds like the issue that affected HDMI ports on the early PS4s. I believe they’re just surface mounted, so any excess force can detach the connector from the PCB.

Ah, so it is most likely causing the rest of the connectors down the circuit to work improperly?

If the pins on the HDMI connector short, yes.

Well, at least two of the ports on the GPU still work. I will just have to grab a DVI to Display Port cable in town later. I got this GPU for $200, so I am not complaining. I just want it to run two monitors, and I have had no issues with gaming performance or strange crashing that I know of.

Tear the card down, and look to see if there is anything odd about the connection ie damage like burns cracks ect. If there is pull the port and re-solder a new one in. It should work just fine from there on. If you where in my area I’d offer to take a look for ya.

1 Like

I have already messed with some of the pins in the connector and successfully have the DVI port working. However, I cannot get the other HDMI port to work. I imagine that if I look deeper into the port there is another HDMI pin that is messed up. For now, I am satisfied that I have both of my monitors working. I got this GPU for a steal.

I was looking at some new HDMI ports earlier today if you want I can look up the link for you. They where pretty cheap i think around 7 dollars for 4.

Digikey.

That’s always the go to for connectors to solder onto PCBs.

1 Like

Sure, drop me a link! Thanks, @Seina_Yamada!

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/usb-dvi-hdmi-connectors/312?k=hdmi%20port

1 Like