Asus ROG Strix Z690 E can I use a P5800X on this platform?

I bought an 800gb optane DC P5800X and cannot get my pc to recognize it in any way. I bought a glotrend dual u.2 carrier card to pcie and removed my dual optane p1600x drive on the asus hyper m.2 card. I cannot see the drive this way even changing all the G5 (last pcie slot) slot options in bios. I then bought a startech single u.2 carrier card to try thinking that it was the card itself… no dice there. Doesn’t show up even in device manager. I then picked up a Sabrent usb 3.2 gen 2 to SATA/U.2. This shows the drive in my computer but it does not show drive size at all and hangs my system why trying to access it. Now in device manager it cannot load anything as it hangs on retrieving a list of devices. I would really like to get this drive up and running and am wondering if I am locked out of it by the platform or what I am doing wrong.

Welcome to Level1!

I don’t think you did anything wrong - at least not obviously.

You’re likely experiencing issues with PCIe Gen4 electrical signaling.

First, I recommend digging in your BIOS/UEFI for the setting that allows locking signaling on the G5 slot to Gen3 strength. This should work both for your mobo and your P5800X and require less stringent signal quality. I would expect your drive to show up after enabling this - albeit at slower than desirable speed.

Next, I’d experiment with putting the P5800X into a PCIe slot closest to your CPU. That probably will require you to switch slots with your GPU. Again, this should work as well. If it does, it proves that your new drive is not defective (nor mobo). If you find this working to your satisfaction you’re done.

If not (likely due to wasted PCIe lanes from the first PCIe slot), you’ll need to look for another way to connect your Optane to your last PCIe slot. No guarantees that will work at PCIe Gen4 speeds. You’re most likely option is to look for an adapter card containing a redriver chip. If you search on this forum you should come across a few options.

I’ve got a p5800x working in a rog strix z690g