Asus ProArt X870-E - bifurcation troubleshooting

Hi! Wasn’t sure if I should post in the general bifurcation thread, but I thought for a specific problem creating a separate thread might be ok.

I have been on a bit of local AI craze, and ended up with 4x R9700. (3 ASRock, 1 XFX)
The motherboard I am using is Asus ProArt X870-E (BIOS 2503 / AGESA 1.3.0.1d), CPU is Ryzen 9950X.

Unfortunately my current platform is AM5 based, so getting even 4x4 CPU-connected gen5 lanes is a bit of a hassle. I already had a 3 GPU setup, with one GPU connected via M.2_2 slot, using ADT-Link adapter, and that has worked fine.

Using ADT-LINK R34 PCIe→4xM.2 card and a couple of K43 adapters, the setup I have been testing now looks like this:

Ryzen root complex
│
├─ 00:01.1 ── PCIEX16(G5)_1
│              LnkCap: x8
│              actual downstream link: x4
│                │ │
│                │ └─ R34 port 1 → R9700
│                │                 BDF 03:00.0
│                └─ R34 port 2 → R9700 (NOT DETECTED)
├─ 00:01.2 ── M.2_1
│                 └─ Samsung 9100 PRO
│
├─ 00:01.3 ── PCIEX16(G5)_2
│              LnkCap: x4
│                 └─ R9700
│                    BDF 07:00.0
│
└─ 00:01.4 ── M.2_2
               LnkCap: x4
                  └─ K43 → R9700
                           BDF 0a:00.0

RESULT:
    3 × R9700 detected

DESIRED PEG CONFIGURATION:
x4 + x4  |  x4  |  x4
   ↑         ↑      ↑
PCIEX16_1   SLOT2   M.2_2

But with AUTO mode the second card on the R34A does not get detected.
Conversely, when I change the SLOT1 settings to “RAID”, only the GPU on the first R34A slot is detected, and I lose the other 2. This seems like the RAID mode does not really respect the fact that I have devices on the other slots and makes the first slot x4x4x4x4.

AUTO:
00:01.1 -> PCIEX16(G5)_1, LnkCap x8
00:01.3 -> PCIEX16(G5)_2, LnkCap x4
00:01.4 -> M.2_2,         LnkCap x4

RAID:
00:01.1 -> LnkCap x4
00:01.3 -> disappears
00:01.4 -> disappears

This confused me a bit, as according to the Asus docs the following situations should be supported (albeit more specifically in case of SSD adapter bifurcation):

Official ProArt X870E-CREATOR WIFI manual:

                       Situation 1     Situation 2     Situation 3
PCIEX16(G5)_1          4 × x4          2 × x4          2 × x4
PCIEX16(G5)_2          0               2 × x4          "2 (x4)"*
PCIEX16(G4)            1 × x4          1 × x4          1 × x4

* table wording in ASUS manual as published

(Maybe using M.2_2 is complicating thing here?)

I tried different combinations of settings but I could not get all of the GPUs working. The obfuscated naming of the options in the BIOS does not help either.

I was wondering if anyone here would have some insight or tips on what I could look into. The fact that even in RAID mode which “consumes” all of the lanes I could still see only one of the GPUs is a bit concerning. Maybe this motherboard simply does not support such bifurcation? I guess I could try relocating one of the adapters to another slot just to see, perhaps the physical allocation of lanes in this scenario (x8 → x4x4) would be split differently (not slot 1 and 2, but eg. slot 1 and 3), alas I have not had much experience with this topic so I might be talking nonsense.

A potential workaround I might test is removing the SSD from slot M.2_1 and connecting the GPU there, although if possible I would rather avoid that.
I also know that a lot of people here have had much better luck with using switches, but with my current setup I would consider that a last resort due to extra cost and overall “ergonomics” of the setup, though I am aware that even if I made this topology work I would still have the problem of quite limited bandwidth between the cards.

Regardless, I would really appreciate your input and responses.
I have been at it for hours and it is almost 3am now so I forgive me the sloppiness if I forgot to include some relevant info. I am more than happy to provide more diagnostics and test out your ideas.

Looking into the manual the PCIe 5.0 slot 1 can only do x16 or x8 with no other options listed for “normal” use. It looks like you would not be able to split that x8 up without a PCIe switch of some kind, the x4x4x4x4 mode seems to only be for NVME card x16 slot Bifurcation, looks like a limitation of CPU/ motherboard switching?

Why can’t you do:

PCIe x16 5.0 Slot 1 R9700 (x8)

PCIe x16 5.0 Slot 2 R9700 (x4 because it shares with M.2_2)

PCIe from NVME adapter M.2_2 R9700 (5.0 x4 because it shares bandwidth from x16 5.0 slot 2)

PCIe from NVME adapter M.2_1 R9700 (5.0 x4, I assume your current SSD is in this slot now)

Either M.2_3 or M.2_4 or SATA for your system drive (4.0 x4 or SATA speeds)

That would keep all GPUs connected through the CPU at 5.0 speeds assuming the adapters are capable, the only immediate major problem I can see is PCIe power limitations from the motherboard for the GPUs.

Otherwise the 4.0 x16 (x4 speed) slot on the bottom of the MB is also an option for an R9700, though it goes through the chipset, unsure if that really matters or not.