Asus Pro WS X570-ACE - Cannot limit first slot to 8x

Great time to be a part of this forum. I’ve had lots of success referencing posts on here so thanks to everyone for their input.

I am having an issue with my WS X570-ACE. I am attempting to split the first two PCIe slots into x8/x8 mode. I have the following hardware:

Ryzen 5 3600 (2x8+x4 is supported according to wiki chip)
Vega 64
Broadcom / LSI SAS2388 HBA card (pcie 3.0 x8)

The issue comes when I place the GPU in the top slot. For whatever reason, when I place the GPU in the top slot, 16 lanes get allocated to my GPU and my HBA reports degraded. Here is lspci output comfirming this:

0b:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x16
0b:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 HDMI Audio [Radeon Vega 56/64]
0c:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
                LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x4 (downgraded)

If I switch the order of the cards (HBA in top slot/GPU in 2nd slot), the proper allocation occurs:

09:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)
                LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x8
--
0c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Vega 10 XL/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56/64] (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

interestingly enough, I have an X570 Taichi that exhibits the same behavior. Has anyone else experienced this?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.