ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace, AGESA 1004 B, ESXi 6.7 U3, PSOD when booting :(

Hi,

after I played around with the ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace (BIOS 1302) in Windows I wanted to try ESXi 6.7 U3 with it (its intended final destination), but it cannot even boot since it crashes with a PSOD:

System configuration:

• 3700X
  • 4 x 16 GiB ECC UDIMM DDR4-2400 (Samsung OEM)
  • Quadro P2000
  • USB Thumb drive with ESXi 6.7 U3 setup
  • Empty/Erased SATA SSD intended for ESXi
  • Nothing else
  • CSM disabled/UEFI boot-only

Any idea what’s causing this?

• CMOS resetting the BIOS didn’t change a thing (made sure to enable virtualization support afterwards since for some reason the default setting is leaving it disabled)

• Installing ESXi 6.7 U3 on a different system (ASRock Rack X470D4U) to the SATA SSD, updating it to the current version (ESXi-6.7.0-20191204001-standard (Build 15160138)) and then trying to boot it on the X570-Ace also didn’t change anything

As always, I’m very thankful for your help!

Regards,
aBavarian Normie-Pleb

Do we know if VMWare supports Ryzen 3000 series?

This error is showing up awfully early, I’m not super sure what’s causing it, but it sure doesn’t look like something that can just be fixed.

If you disable the RTL8117 (the remote management nic) in the bios, by Advanced -> Onobard Devices Configuration -> Realtek LAN Controller (select Off).
With that you will be able to boot, its due vmware not supporting that nic. I had the exactly the same issue with mine, even tried patching, to no avail.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Is this kind of behavior “normal”? (If ESXi doesn’t support something the system fatally crashes instead of ignoring the unkown device)

I think vmware is quite picky and just refuses to work, ive had similar issues on linux (proxmox specifically) with the, where RTL8117 doesn’t know what it is, its one of the let downs of this board. Maybe that and something to do with the BIOS