ASUS Pro WS WRX90E-SAGE SE - discrete sensor states showing "failed" or "N/A" in IPMI

Are any of you guys having issues with the IPMI sensors on your ASUS Pro WS WRX90E-SAGE SE motherboards? I have 14 years of experience with Supermicro’s IPMI implementation, but this is the first time I’ve used ASUS’s IPMI offering. I’m trying to see if my experiences with the WRX90E-SAGE SE is par for the course with ASUS or indicative of a firmware/hardware bug.

Issue
When I log into ASUS’s IPMI and then go to “Sensor” on the left hand navigation pane, I get a list of 9 “Discrete Sensor States”, all but 1 of which are identified as N/A or failed:

Sensor Name State
BIOS OOB N/A
CPU_ECC Presence Detected
CPU_Hardware N/A
Mem_Hardware N/A
Memory_Train_ERR N/A
PCIE_Hardware N/A
PSU1 Detect Power Supply Failure Detected
PSU2 Detect Power Supply Failure Detected
Watchdog2 N/A

While it’s encouraging to see that the motherboard detects that I’m using a CPU that supports ECC, I find it concerning that everything else is listed as N/A or failed.

Does anyone know how I can get these sensors to correctly detect/read hardware states? For example, why is my “PSU1 Detect” sensor stating “Power Supply Failure Detected”?

When I click on that reading, I get:

PSU1 Detect Sensor Information
Sensor State Reading - 0x8002

What are you guys seeing?

Hardware
Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS WRX90E-SAGE SE
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7965WX
RAM: Kingston Fury DDR5 6000 MT/s CL32 1.35V RDIMM (8x32GB, 256GB - KF560R32RBK8-256)
PSU: Seasonic Vertex PX-1200

Your results are normal. N/A is good because it means there’s no asserted error.

If you want your PSU to be detected you’ll need to use one with a pmbus connection. I think that new fanless cooler master PSU they just released has that connection.

Thanks for the confirmation twin_savage.

You’d think that if this were the “normal” state, ASUS (or perhaps ASMedia in conjunction with ASUS) would have found a way to more intuitively present this information!

The “new fanless cooler master PSU” that you referenced… would this be the “X Silent Edge Platinum 1100W” that Cooler Master was talking about during CES 2024?

Regardless, I’ll be on the lookout for PSUs that support the PMBus protocol. Though if I’m being honest, I’m reluctant to swap out my Seasonic Vertex PX-1200. Like others, I had to try several other power supplies before I found one that was actually able to reliably work with this motherboard, CPU, and RAM combo.

1 Like

I’m not the biggest fan of all the different brand’s new IPMI webportal layouts, even Supermicro’s. I still prefer IPMIView because I know where everything is when I use it.

Yeah that’s the one, Corsair use to make “AXi” series power supplies that also had the pmbus on them as well.
It wouldn’t be worth it to me to swap out PSUs for such a small feature either; also not to mention limiting yourself to only a few PSU choices in the processes.

It’s wild the new platform seems to be so sensitive to power supply choice.