ASUS Pro WS WRX90E-SAGE SE build finished + benchmarks (It lives!)

Operating System: Windows 11 Professional Edition build 22631 (64-bit)
CPU Type: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7975WX 32-Cores
Motherboard: Asus Pro WS WRX90E-SAGE SE
Memory: 8xKingston 5600 for a total of 256GB RAM
Videocard: NVIDIA RTX 6000 Ada Generation
Hard Drive: CT4000T700SSD3 (4TB)
Hard Drive: CT4000T700SSD3 (4TB)

Cinemark:
GPU - 31357
CPU (multi-core) - 3564
CPU (single-core) - 114, MP Ratio 31.39x

Passmark
Total - 19463 (99%)
Memory (threaded) - 258,225 MB/s
Disk Read - 9722 MB/s

–

Finally after months of waiting the machine lives. Can’t really share any exciting or harrowing stories about the build as it was uneventful and everything just powered up first try.

6 Likes

That memory performance is looking pretty strong!

For comparison here’s what a 8 channel W790 is getting on memory (I think I ran on older version of passmark but it should still be comparible):

​​​ ​ ​
​​​ ​ ​

Any chance you could try running the comsol benchmark on your system?
I don’t think we’ve had anyone with the new 8 channel threadripper run it yet:

What about first boot? You started with only one DIMM populated? Does 5600 DIMMS run hotter than 65c and throttle in memory intensive loads?

I’m glad to see the 4TB T700’s are working fine. The 4TB model is missing from the motherboard QVL, so I had wondered if it was left off for a reason.

What case and cooling did you decide to go with? How are your temperatures?

1 Like

Thanks for these results! As I’m also planning a similar build could you please describe your cooling setup?

Also I’m still deciding between these RAM configs:
8x HMCG94AGBRA181N
2x TR564G56D436
1x KF556R36RBK8-256

cfd only, took apx 20 minutes.

2 Likes

I plopped all 8 into the board. Did have to enable the 5600 profile as they defaulted to 4800.

Case is a fractal torrent black, currently stuck with a noctua cpu fan which is a little louder than I’m used to but there doesn’t seem to be any AIO coolers yet for this new socket.

Temps seem pretty good, I can’t get the cpu above 60c unless I’m pounding AVX instructions. The ssd’s do throttle a bit but never drop below 9 GB/s (peak is about 11).

The thing that did surprise me abit is how bad the cooling on the 6000 ada is setup. I may have to come up with something that involves voiding that warranty.

1 Like

dang, that’s the fastest system anyone has tested so far

2 Likes

Good scores there, re the Ada, install MSI afterburner and set the custom profile curve (even just enabling it will help it perform better and cooler, the stock Nvidia curve for the fan is pretty bad!)

1 Like

Which kingston Kit do you have specifically ?

Kingston KF556R36RBK8-256 Fury Renegade Pro 256GB

Side note, I decided to play with the onboard raid. If anyone decides to go down this route using nvme drives, do not use read or write caches AT ALL. I saw upwards of a 100x response time increase (30ms) vs not (sub 0.2ms)

1 Like

Overall performance in the raid 0 config is about the same as single drive, writes took about 8% hit but for my stuff I am more concerned with reads so its still fine.

Noted

I am thinking about picking up the same kit and just calling it a day for now.

And it’s dead. Turned it off to redo some cable management in my desk. Plugged everything back in, hit the power button, fans started to spin then a pop and it turned off.

Now when I turn the ps on I get the power and reset leds on and Ethernet. After pressing power the bmc led will turn on after about a minute but nothing else.

No codes, no q-leds, and the bmc can’t really do anything except give me its firmware and manufacturer, all other commands return 0x18.

Guess this is my karma for everything going so well in the beginning. RIP box, I barely knew you.

2 Likes

That’s bad… So sorry to hear that.
Maybe Steve from Gamers Nexus wants it now :wink:

You probably forgot the blood sacrifice during the build.

Sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Can you connect to the IPMI through management port?

Hearing about these experiences terrifies me about building a machine this expensive. Any idea what might have happened? I’m curious about that “pop” sound you heard. Most of what came up when I searched was talk about blown capacitors, either in the power supply or on the motherboard. Any evidence of that? Or scorch marks from a short circuit? Do you have a spare power supply that you could swap in?

1 Like