Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI - no longer able to access IPMI portal

I just to happen to have a 3090. I’ve been using a 970 because it’s a spare (the 3090 is in my current, soon-to-be retired workstation). Perhaps this motherboard is only compatible with recent GPU’s. It’s on my list of things to try this week-end.

Not so much “find” as “make”. If all the BMC does for me is fan control, I can shove a custom STM32 board inside my PC case and do that myself. Plus a few other things.

Interesting
Thank you, will look into this

STM32 is a family of microcontrollers, you won’t find a COTS fan controller based on an STM32. I’m gonna have to design my own board and then program my own firmware for it.

Then again, I have just installed a 6-port gigabit NIC, and one of its ports will be used for internect connectivity. The 10 Gb ports on the motherboard will be used exclusively for point-to-point connections to two NAS, so I might reenable the BMC because then it shouldn’t be accessible from the internet.

At last as far as I know. I will need to do a serious risk assessment.

1 Like

I’m having the same issues as listed above with this Sage WRX80 and BMC.
I used to be able to access the BMC remotely and now can’t access it at all. I recently changed a few fans and need to adjust them.

I haven’t tried everything listed here yet, but I have tried most of it with no luck, just wasting a LOT of time.

Is there anyway to plug something in to some sort of serial port and have definite access to the BMC directly? Use the VGA header?

Just really sick of wasting time on this. I have ran into minor issues in the past with it, and so I’m sure there will be more issues in the future with the current set up, even if I resolve this for now remotely.

Have you tried unplugging (not just restarting) the system?

I once got a “session time-out” error that stopped me logging into the BMC. Since I had not logged into the BMC (nor switched off the system) for many months, I tried powering off the ASUS WRX80E for 5 minutes. After restarting, that “session timer” had reset itself, and I was able to log into the BMC. Updated firmware and BIOS, re-tuned fans, all Ok.

1 Like

Thank you! I was finally able to access the BMC by plugging another PC directly into the ethernet port and resetting both IP addresses.

Still more issues though. I decided to update the firmware for the BMC while I was in it to help avoid future problems. It currently has the 1.13 version. I followed the steps on ASUS website, downloaded the latest version of the firmware, tried updating via the browser with the .ima file and it got half way through the update and then just froze. It eventually stopped and went to a error browser screen. I restarted both PCs and cleared the browser cache on the secondary PC. I was able to get back into the BMC, but it still has the old 1.13 firmware version. I did power off, unplug and hold power button 10s to clear memory on the Sage WRX80.

I went through the whole process again. Same thing happened again. The update froze half way through. When I powered back on, still v1.13.

Now none of my sensors are working for fan speed or temp in the BMC and I can change the fan settings, but they don’t seem to actually change the fan speeds… So I have access but, no control.

Is it really that hard for ASUS to just add some fan control to the BIOS??

Just repeated the process a 3rd time. Did everything the same. I was hoping I might see an option of some sort that I overlooked the first 2 times. I didn’t see any new options, but this time the firmware update completed and after rebooting I have control of fans again and can see all the sensor outputs. Not sure why it decided to work now, but all good.

Sorry to hear about the frustration!

Just a thought: which BIOS version do you have?

Someone else here with the ASUS WRX80E had a similar problem, and said they were told (by ASUS?) that “firmware was too new”. So they tried an older version of the BMC firmware, and all was good; implying that it may be worth keeping BMC firmware in sync with BIOS version?

So if still stuck, I’d try loading a BMC firmware version released closer to date of your BIOS version.

Backstory: When I finally had a reason to update my (very old!) BIOS and BMC firmware, I noticed that for each BIOS there was BMC firmware with similar date. Being cautious, I stepped through each of the updates (first BMC firmware then BIOS from similar date). Unsurprisingly, each update went fine.

good luck!

PS: just saw you got things sorted. Good to see!

1 Like

Thank you for the info! I actually just updated my BIOS after getting the BMC firmware worked out. I thought that might help with future issues. I should have done BIOS first, maybe not had as many issues.

All good though. New BIOS and BMC working great.

Trying to get everything straightened out on it. Changing CPU cooler and upgrading RAM to 512GB next week.

1 Like

Does anyone know if you must be connected physically to a LAN network? I would love to be able to connect to the BMC over wifi.
Thanks

The manual for the WRX80 is excellent and shows you all of the settings / options needed to get the remote connections working. If it isn’t working, check this setting in BIOS.

WRX80E Manual

Just chiming in here. This worked for me. Thank you for posting this!

Anyone know how to use the ipmi / remote portal to configure the bios?
The remote kvm works fine after boot, but not before, so I can’t change boot order.