Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI II

Subscribed … Let us know folks of the pbo

I’m also tuned in. The original model looked to be an awesome board. As Wendell said, one of the nicest boards he’s ever owned. The only draw back as far I as I could see was the lack of PBO. Having access to PBO on this board is going to be awesome. I’m curios if there were physical changes to the board, since you would think it would have been more effective to kick out a bios update instead of manufacturing a new board if that were an option. Also strange to see them put this out now considering Storm Peak is due to launch later this year requiring an all new socket.

1 Like

Well there’s THAT but … Didn’t the Mk1 board come out with Intel x710 dual 10gbe?
I see they have reverted to x550 10gbe

There’s some sort of shortage of the former ,why ASRock also bought a Mk2 of the wrx80 creator …in that case they went with Broadcom aquantia nics

Has anyone tried to cross flash the BIOS of the new board on the old one yet? Would be really curious to know if they actually changed something to make PBO work.

1 Like

I’d be curious as well. Anyone who currently has the board, can you weigh in?

The original Asus SAGE board also had the x550 so no change there. As far as I can tell, the only WRX80 board that has the Intel x710 was the Asrock Creator V1 and those are really hard to find now.

Interesting to hear about the V2 - as it seems, it is not on Asus’ Germany website, so I am curious when it will launch here. I can’t find any reference to PBO on their site though? Did anyone get their hands on one yet?
Also, if it is in fact possible to flash the BIOS and enable PBO on the V1, that would be amazing, as the V1 can be found fairly easily at the moment. The V1 seems to currently offer version 1003 while there’s version 0204 available for V2 on the US site. Is there someone who already tried/succeeded with the V2 bios on V1?

I’ve had some problems with v1, I wonder if they made other improvements. I replaced a board and the replacement, the BMC doesn’t work. I don’t recall the original problem. Anyone have a block diagram for either version?

I am only aware of this one:

I also have hands on with the second version and it has been running well so far, minus PCIe AER errors that seem to plague both versions.

Although I didn’t attempt to install a V2 bios on the V1 board, I did update my V1 to the latest BIOS 1106.

As expected, other than improved memory support for 5000 series, there’s still no PBO. At least my hacked TB3 still works, so there’s that.

Hey guys,

Would it be possible to get PBO installed on the v1 board or is that likely extremely difficult if at all possible?

From what I’ve read, PBO on a 5995wx could be +40% on some benchmarks which would be worthwhile considering for me. Either than or wait for the next generation board and TR family.

Fun times

OC of Chagall Pro series can be possible only on ASUS WRX80 v2 M/B. If you fail to buy it, try to get ASRock M/B, although MSI WRX80 M/B is known as another candidate for overclocking TR PRO 5000 series.

1 Like

Thank you @Namth, appreciate the confirmation. It’s disappointing that the v1 board doesn’t have this feature and it’s certainly not cost effective to justify replacing the v1 M/B with the next TR generation rumoured for later in the year. Such is life… :slight_smile:

Are there any settings in a V1 M/B BIOS that can improve CPU or general performance in a meaningful way?

I am sorry for late reply.

In my thoughts, RAM OC is the only option left for increasing performance of your system. T_T But it’s good enough according to workloads.

p.s.) This is my personal view, which can be wrong. I do not belive the rumor of avaliability of TR 7000 series, Storm Peak, at later this year. Even if Storm peak will be announced at Q4 2023, DIY users may wait another a half year from the perspective of the past histories of Threadripper Pro. Moreover, based on another rumors, DIY availability may be delayed up to later 2024 or early 2025. Also, we had better recall the early stages when using Castle Peak with ASUS PRO WRX80 M/B. There were lots of unexpected errors.

Another thing we may consider is workload. In my case, though Chagall Pro is very expensive, I bravely bought 5995wx. Using my own calculating codes used at real researshes, I tested my current system. The bench programs were cut to be short for bench testing. One result of the benchmark tests, 8H running time on 5950x reduced to 2H calculation on 5995WX. In that sense, I can save time! But I know that more time can be saved by OC, because many benchmark tests were executed with various OC techniques on 5950x. So, to unlock the full power of my 5995WX, I bought ASUS Pro WRX80 v2 M/B. And I expect the more time saving, although the V2 M/B is also expensive.

p.s. 2) Irrespective of BIOS versions, it is possible to OC Chagall Pro CPU on V1 M/B, which seems to be bad for real usages from the viewpoint of me.

2 Likes

Just to confirm, you are saying it is not possible to overclock 5000 series on v1?

Thank you for a great reply. That’s the big question, when will the next platform be out….

Subscribed

My answer is no. There are ways that TR Pro 5000 CPU series can be overclocked on the V1 board. But I must also mention that they seem to me not practical and real ordinary OC. So the best thing for me to do for better performances is just overclocking RAM.

Now I am going to rebuild my 5995WX system with something new, of course, like the V2 M/B, etc.

1 Like

Thank you @Namth, really appreciate your reply.

May I ask a dumb question, how hard is it to move a system to a new motherboard? I’m this case from a v1 to a v2?

Do you just carry across all parts and setup the bios the same way and it works or is it harder than that?

I’m not sure if it’s worth the change for us as our cooling system won’t handle higher cpu temps but I’ll watch with curiosity :slightly_smiling_face:

1. It’s not a dumb question. Simply, you need courage for a new build and more experiences of acutual building a computer.
    In my thought, Building a computer is not difficult. If one is not familiar with it, I’d like to recommend reading the manuals carefully and repeatedly. And, before actual building, many trial thinking of the build will be helpful.

Hmm, for air-cooling build, I have no adivces. For AIO, do not remove the seal of cold plate before an actual installation. For custom water-cooling, always rotate rotary-angle adapter clock-wisely and work hard sanding & debugging for hard tubing.

1. My rebuilding will include changing the case, installing a new hub for T-sensors, upgrading the power, and altering the customed water-cooling, etc. Here is an example of the current my computer.

Since the v2 M/B allows to overclock my 5995WX, BIOS setting will be changed naturally. Moreover, I will include spot cooling fans for VRM & chipset parts even though a moderate OC will be taken. If I use a monoblock for the v2 M/B, no spotcooling will be needed.

The above process is not difficult and the only obstruction is my lazyness :slight_smile:

1. Since I don’t understand what is your workloads, more careful recommendations(?) may be taken.
  • Building a computer is not hard.
  • Never use a brutal forces during the build.

For cooling methods, adding an air conditioner is the best of the best >…<)b Currently, I don’t have concrete understandings for overclocking the Threadripper Pro CPU such as VRM temperatures, characteristic features of my 5995WX under changing voltages, reconciling the full EDC limit of OC Threadrippers, stabilities of my workloads under various OC’s, etc. So, I cannot recommend any cooling methods for it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.