Asus Pro ws wrx80e-sage se wifi BMC not showing or lighting up

Hello, I recently bought a used Asus Pro ws wrx80e-sage se wifi. After I installed everything I realized it’s having an issue and I’m tearing my hair out trying to figure it out so I’d be super grateful if someone could help me out.

With the BMC switched to on, the board will tick through every single error code before ending up either on the bios screen or my old windows install after about two minutes. (I was finally going to wipe it and install linux!). There are zero lights lighting up in that section of the board, and nothing shows up on the network for the BMC, regardless if I set it to DHCP or static. The BMC shows “error, self test failed” in the bios regardless if it’s set to on or off. The CPU fans turn on for one second, then turn off for 10 seconds constantly.

With the BMC set to off, the board boots into either the bios or Windows normally. The only real downside it the fans are blasted at 100%. Windows behaves normally either way, although it doesn’t have the exact drivers installed. I ran Cinebench both ways and it seems to not have any issues.

I have already tried just 1 and zero ram sticks. I haven’t tried reseating the CPU because it’s under a waterblock and I didn’t think it would be related because I think the BMC is a separate chip. The only time I see any life from the area is a tiny blue light for one second when I turn of the PSU. Unfortunately I don’t have the VGA cable to see if it has any output but I’ve tried switching the VGA output on and off, no difference.

Could I just have bad luck and have gotten a bad BMC? I saw on the Asus website that there’s a way to update the BMC via windows but if it’s not outputting any signs of life will that do anything? Should I just try it? I did have to update my bios to the latest version for it to recognize my 5975WX, so perhaps there’s a firmware mismatch or something?

Also, if it is bad and I decide not to send it back due to the hassle, is there anything in the IPMI menu apart from fan speed I’m really missing? And do you know of any USB fan hubs that will work in linux that I can set a curve for?

Thanks again, I really hope I’m just an idiot and missed something.

Maybe try a few COMPLETE power cycles?

1. switch off, unplug, wait 5 minutes. Re-plug, switch on, test.
  2. switch off, unplug, wait 5 minutes. Re-plug, switch on, test.
  3. switch off, unplug, wait 5 minutes. Re-plug, switch on, test.

I once had a BMC anomaly on this board. To do with not having been powered off for over a year. Full power down (+ wait!) restored normal BMC behavior.