Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI + best case for build - Suggestions

Hi all,

Which case(s) are good for a Threadripper Pro build using the ASUS - AMD WRX80 extended-ATX workstation motherboard? Is the Corsair 780T Tower Case a good choice?

Thanks in advance for your views / comments on this topic.

Don’t see any EATX mounting points in that chassis.
The edge of a EATX mobo would cover up the grommet passthroughs also.
Look for EATX or SSI CEB motherboard form factor specifications listed for the case.

I used a Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL dark tint.
I looked around for a while and it was between that and an O11 XL that would fit an eeb MB. The O11 needed an optional bracket that is hard to come by and also would need fans, etc.
The Meshify 2 XL came with all the needed space, and fans.
The MB did cover cable management grommets, so routing choices were limited.
I didn’t want an aquarium either.
The new corsair 7000 looks like it might work, but that is brand new.

1 Like

I built mine in the same case, pleasure to work in.

Hi Artur

Thanks for replying.

Did you have any issues at all with the Corsair 780T Case when fitting the ASUS WRX80 extended-ATX motherboard that you think that I should be aware of?

I hope that you are enjoying your new system.

Hi Keith,

Thankyou for replying to my question, from the spec of the case it is supposed to be for an E-ATX build but I know the Asus WRX80 is a monster of a board hence my question.

The grommet passthroughs were a concern of mine also.

Thanks again for your input, I think I will have to look around a bit more to see what other options maybe better.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your input and I will go and check out both cases that you have suggested and the Meshify 2 XL sounds promising.

OC3D TV just did a review of the 7000X and he seems to have a few issues with it. Incase you want to check it out link below Corsair 7000X and H170i Review - YouTube

I will go and see if I can find one for the 7000D.

I have been looking around at all the options available and I have finally decided on the Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black Case for my build as it seems to tick all the boxes for a great build with future expansion options. It seems to be very well designed and well-built based on the research that I have carried out over the past number of days.

I chose the non-window version as seeing the parts does nothing for me personally but I can see why a windowed version would be great if I were planning on water cooling etc. as some computers can look amazing when finished.

In case anyone is interested the link to the Fractal Define 7 XL is below:

HI there, did you end up having to get different standoffs for mounting?

I had to move several standoffs from under the board over to the right edge.
Plus the Fractal should come with a set of extra standoffs.
Everything seemed to work.
The upper right edge was tricky to get right because the height of the standoff and thickness of the MB was a little different than the middle and left side. The screws are not tightened down because the PCB would flex. It may be that a couple of fiber washers under the pcb would fix that, but I was in a bit a a hurry and got everything level and not bent so I left it.

The crazy thing is, I am still waiting for delivery of mine due to having to wait on the power supply coming into stock which is estimated to come into stock mid August before all my parts are shipped, it is driving me crazy. Beeping Covid!

Hopefully this helps someone outthere… jumping from Asus TRX40 Zenith II Extreme Alpha to Asus WRX80 Sage, i was able to fit the later in the same case - Corsair Air 540.

The trick that I have done was mounting front intake fans on the out side - yes, the case’s mesh can still mount back, -without the filter though. I already own a set of DEMCiflex filters for this case - here

This is how it ended up looking, bit tight with the cabling though, but all in all happy with the case, i avoided purchasing the behemoth Thermaltake W200

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be surprised you were able to shoehorn that mobo into that case.

I learned the front fans on the outside trick when I put a radiator into the front as well as the top.

A lot of good things about the Air 540 case that I rate it above the larger Air 740 case which can mount a 360 in the front or top and is the only advantage in my opinion.

Love the hot swap bays for drives in the bottom of the 540.

Looks like you ended up with the Define 7 XL - I also went that way because I saw that Puget ships TRipper Pro systems in that one. I can also recommend it for watercooling space - nice and roomy, even for a fatty 60mm EK rad.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.