Asus pg38uq monitor 16:9 inch 38 inch confirmed to have RGB subpixel layout

just a quick post for anyone looking at big monitors for programming or general use.

i asked asus support (that was hell as usual and took like a week and 2 live chats, etc… )

and they told me, that the asus pg38uq 38 inch 16:9 4k uhd ips monitor has an
RGB subpixel layout.

there’s no review on it yet and it is currently ABSURDLY overpriced in europe (1400 euros europe, 1000 us dollars in the usa)
but well for anyone looking for a big display, that actually properly shows text and also can be run without scaling, that could be it. again it could be full of engineering flaws, but gotta wait and see.

asus support quote:

I have reviewed your case and I
understand that you wanted to know the subpixel layout for the PG38UQ.
Please be advised that your case has been escalated to our technical support
department and according to the escalation ticket it has a RGB sub-pixel layout

1 Like

I actually got this monitor yesterday. The text clarity is in deed SO MUCH BETTER than any of the 40+ inch 4k monitors that I recently tried including PG42UQ (RWBG), U4323QE (BGR), and Neo G7 (BGR).

I was looking for a 4k monitor that I can use the native resolution w/o scaling to maximize screen estate. I also game a lot (mostly on xbox) so I need my main screen to have a relatively fast response time.

With all other monitors previously, I did use tools like MacType or Better ClearType Tuner to mitigate the subpixel layout issues on Windows, or even tried to use Cent Browser to replace Chrome due to some text rendering options being unavailable in the latter. But at the end of the day, the subpixel layout issue just cannot be solved is my conclusion. E.g. on RWBG layout you will easily see two vertical lines (1 green and 1 red) on each side of a yellow image. Also messing with ClearType settings in Windows affects all screens so the font becomes weird on other monitors after using MacType. There is simply no perfect solution to it. And after trying many different methods, I still could not find a way to have nicely rendered clear and sharp text in both Windows and Mac - they both look terrible even AFTER using all these tools I mentioned.

Thankfully the new PG38UQ finally arrived over the weekend and when I hooked it up, I was immediately stunned by its text clarity because after trying many other big 4k screens I never expected something this clear anymore (TBH I thought it would be another BGR layout previously and I just wanted to see if a smaller screen with higher PPI would mitigate the text clarity issues). But I have to say I’m so happy that I gave this monitor a try despite it’s slightly over-priced for an IPS screen. In my opinion it serves my use cases super well and that’s all what matters to me. I’m not into monitors that much so I don’t really care that much about the difference between IPS and OLED, plus I don’t want to be worrying about burn-in risks and have to account for that during my daily use.

So kudos to ASUS to produce this monitor. Choosing RGB subpixel layout really nailed it for people like me. I wish the size could be a little bigger as 4k resolution w/o scaling on a 38 inch means a 116 PPI which is higher than any monitor I’ve used in recent years. A 40 inch might be better but I’ll see how well my eyes can adapt to this new PPI density.

Overall I highly recommend this monitor for people who need to use it for both work and gaming a lot.

BTW, I haven’t verified the subpixel layout is indeed RGB. Everything is just based on my eye test. But if someone can share a more definitive method I’ll be happy to follow and report the result. Also feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try to answer them if I can.

1 Like

oh that sounds lovely :slight_smile: glad you found a monitor free from those issues.

question: do you notice any edge darkening on the monitor?
there is almost no videos or pictures about the pg38uq and in some pictures it looked like it might have some strong edge darkening if you look at it from quite a strong angle.

i had a garbage lg va 31.5 inch 16:9 monitor, that made a half a letter disappear if you look at the edges at a decent angle, so having that issue would be sad.

and yeah there is no proper fix or workaround at all for BGR bullshit. running a triple monitor setup myself with rightnow all RGB subpixel monitors of course. leading LOTS on monitor 2 and 3 like having session open, etc…
so yeah obviously not an option at all and even if you find one work around, it would only be something annoying, that you might have to give up later on maybe.
like using centbrowser for example, you probs would want to swap from it once chromium goes fully insane with their war against freedom in fighting adblockers, etc… and use firefox forks instead, but oh well… now all text is super garbage again.

just not something anyone wants to think about right? there is enough weird stuff to do, to have some privacy and security already, that limit choices :smiley:

and i personally find BGR subpixel layout panels just insulting.
there is literally 0 reason for them to exist, it is just a middle finger to customers.
it’s not even greed, because you want to be able to sell the same panel a lot more and having an RGB subpixel layout means, that you can take that panel and every application can use it.
i’d think of the panel industry spitting in my face every time i would see blurry text/fringing on text on the monitor :smiley:

let’s hope this nonsense will be over in a few years when nano-led also called amqled comes out, which for common display sizes can get inkjet printed.
and of course just inkjet print RGB layouts then.

BTW, I haven’t verified the subpixel layout is indeed RGB. Everything is just based on my eye test. But if someone can share a more definitive method I’ll be happy to follow and report the result.

you can test this by using a basic camera. even a garbage one like the quite broky now pinephone i have worked and i assume you got a lot better camera access on your spying device (“phone”) or maybe you have a pinephone or whatever yourself :slight_smile:

either way, the setup is as follows: put in a fully white screen on the display.
if you use a phone you need to fully stabilize the phone. 0 wobble or disturbance is important. having it stand on the table with the bottom part on the table and you holding the top is enough.
then you want to photograph the bottom edge of the monitor with the pixels and the bottom bezel on it. (this way you know for sure which side is up on the picture)
play around with the distance to the panel a bit and you should be able to just digitally zoom into the picture and make out the subpixel layout.
that worked on a 31.5 inch 1440p 16:9 monitor, so should also work on the pg38uq, that is a bit higher ppi :slight_smile:

would be dope if you share your results for sure :slight_smile:

another question: does the sRGB mode work properly? it is also one of the VERY VERY FEW monitors, that has a real sRGB mode by selecting color space in the menu (unless the manual lies), does it work nicely without any problems and is it close enough to the sRGB target and allow manual calibration to remove tints without a problem?

and last question: are you using the stock stand or an aftermarket stand?
for me the stock stand would be too high and i’d be installing a 3rd party stand, that can go low enough. already got 2, that i will try, once i get the monitor in a month, but curious if you are using an aftermarket one and which it is and whether you like yours : )

oh damn one bonus question that came to mind, that you see visual issues during gaming with the BGR subpixel monitors?
that just kind of interests me, because i saw like some ltt video, that showed an issue in a game, while most people claim, that it wouldn’t matter in games.
i would guess it depends on the game, but maybe i’m wrong, so curious what your experience is :slight_smile:

and here is to hoping, that we see more useable 38 inch 16:9 monitors and like you mentioned 40-42 inch 16:9 ones too.
no scaling + proper text clarity + gaming and movie immersion hype!!! :blush:

Yeah the non-RGB subpixel layout is definitely BS for desktop monitors. I just couldn’t stand it as I need to stare at so much text in my daily job and I really cannot sacrifice text clarity for anything else - I was considering going back to my old 32 inch 4k monitor if PG38UQ didn’t work out. But I’m now 99% sure I will be keeping this 38 inch IPS monitor unless I run into some surprises in the next few weeks. I haven’t tried it with gaming yet, but I think it will easily out-perform my previous monitor which is Benq PD3200U…

I didn’t know about this concept before. I think it’s the so-called backlight bleeding where you can see some areas on the edges with different light / color? I tried to look for that on this screen and I don’t think I see any, at least not to the level that I would care :slight_smile:

Okay I’m not good at this but I think I got a relatively better picture after a few attempts, and it looks like indeed a RGB subpixel layout:

I do use sRGB mode myself but I’m not sure how to tell whether the color space is close enough to the target :sweat_smile: You can adjust Color Temp / Saturation / Six-axis Saturation / Gamma in the menu. So I imagine there are ways to tune the color to more ideal target if needed.

No, I’m currently using the stock stand. You are right that it’s slightly too high ergonomically, but not that bad. I was even using the 42 inch with stock stand for the past week during work and I survived just fine :slight_smile: The 38 inch stock stand puts the monitor a little over 3 inches (or 4 inches measured from the bottom of the screen area) above the desk. So there is not much room to go further down. I’m also concerned about how that would affect the viewability for text near the bottom of the screen, which I already struggle slightly today when I was reading stuff in the window that’s snapped at the bottom left quarter of the screen. Anyway, it’s very dependent on everyone’s desk depth and sitting height etc. I’m interested to know how the after-market stands work for you and may try one of those myself down the road.

I don’t think so. I didn’t test them too much with gaming TBH. I remember each worked just fine in GTA 5. My general takeaway is that these monitors definitely fits better for gaming than office work.

Hope this helps. Sorry my knowledge is very limited when it comes to monitors so I don’t have good answers to some of the questions. I hope you’ll find this monitor fit your need as well.

1 Like

This gaming monitor comes with an IPS panel. I haven’t seen an IPS panel that’s not R-G-B sub pixel arrangement (but I could be wrong).

The main use of this monitor is for gaming and video consumption. For productivity, photo/video editing and software coding. The largest size (for 4K) I’ll go is 27-inch. Beyond that it’s difficult to work with physically. E.g. at 38-inch you have to increase your viewing distance substantially. A typical office/home desk can’t accommodate that.

For some reason things are quite different for the 40+ inch territory, e.g. Dell U4323QE is IPS and BGR.

I’m still testing but I don’t see much issues when sitting slightly less than 30 inches away from these big monitors for work. My work mainly involves programming and reading documents, and everything has been working well for me.

I believe most of the productivity work involves multiple windows. When I arrange the windows properly on one big screen, it’s not that different compared to regular multi-monitor setup where people stack the screens either horizontally or vertically. It’s pretty much a 4-screen setup of 1920x1080 resolution in my case.

The key is that you don’t want to have only one window on the screen maximized and try to focus on it from close distance. E.g. when I do zoom meetings, I’d make it a smaller window and put it on the center of the screen. But when I play xbox, I simply sit slightly away from the desk, because I don’t need to reach the keyboard and mouse thankfully.

The reason I wanted more screen estate was mainly for programming, for which I wanted to have many panes serving different purposes always on the screen, while still be able to have two side-by-side editor panes for coding. The 32 inch I used previously was a little crowed with this setup, and I had to carefully allocate the size of each pane in order to still have enough room for the main editor panes. I consider the extra 60% more screen space very useful, and I’m very happy with the test drives so far.

1 Like

30 inches are about 76cm which is about 35% farther than I usually sit in front of my 27-inch displays. If your desk and environment could accommodate that, the distance is not an issue. However, there is really no gain going bigger for most productivity works. More below.

A bigger size screen with the same 4K resolution will not give you more screen real estate. It’s false illusion. For more screen real estate, a higher resolution screen in a bigger screen size are the proper way to go.

Some people may claim they can run a 4K but bigger screen at at lower scaling factor, say from 150% to 120% font scaling in Windows 10/11. Combined with a suitable viewing distance, they magically find the sweet spot being acceptable even though at lower actual fidelity.

I haven’t tried it myself but I very much doubt it. They perhaps just find a way to cheat their eyes. But I do agree displays are about ‘cheating’ viewers’ eyes. E.g. I would argue with Mac users that 27-inch 4K is great and good enough. Not necessarily to go 5K with outrageously priced displays.

Being able to use 100% scaling is the difference maker. On my old 32 inch I had to do 125% scaling. They both give me PPI between the 110-120 range.

38 inch is pretty much the smallest size to use 4k resolution at 100% scaling, which is 116 PPI. Ideally I would prefer 40 inch which would be a more comfortable 110 PPI.

For ~110dpi, I would recommend 27-inch 2560x1440p. A proven form factor spearhead by Apple, and surprising got popular in PC world as well. Two 27-inch 1440p will have more screen real estate than one 4K at native resolution, much cheaper, and decent displays for productivity in abundance. Also physically easier to work with.

I think it’s hard to get a 1440p which is decent for both productivity and gaming. That’s sad about reality in life as usual.

I can understand a lot of productivity work may not need this much of screen real estate like me.

I do have a 27 inch 1440p secondary monitor on the side. But I need my main monitor to be decent in screen real estate for my programming job.

My previous 32 inch 4k roughly gave me 5.3M pixels after 125% scaling. Now with 4k at 100% scaling I get 8.3M pixels (a 56% increase in screen real estate). With 1440p there will only be 3.7M pixels (a 31% decrease in screen real estate).

Maybe my use case is not typical, but I really need the extra room to fit in all the IDE panes and still comfortably have two main panes side by side to write code.

Seems you found a sweet spot in your quest of a display with right size and resolution. You’re the first use case of big 4K displays that I heard and carries some sensibility. I perhaps should find a chance to experience it myself.

I think 27-inch 4k will stay for a very long time. 5K after 10yrs seems to have lost the chance to become a thing other than inside Apple. 32-inch 6K perhaps will be next contested form factor. If 8K catches on quickly, 6K might be just another niche again. Personally I hope 8K will become mainstream sooner for productivity.

no no, edge darkening is different to backlight bleed.
backlight bleed is when the backlight “bleeds” at the edges usually.
if it happens closer to the center, then that would be called as far as i know “clouding”.
i had one monitor with lots of backlight bleed and circular clouding :smiley: amazing tech we got these days.

but yeah no i meant edge darkening.
i have an example of this on an lg monitor.
looking at it straight:
Imgur
looking at it with a slight angle:
Imgur

you can see in the 2nd picture, that half of the letter “T” disappeared there as the edges of the screen area disappear based on the angle, that you look at them.
so looking straight at the center of a big screen means, that you always have a decent angle towards the edges.
so in practice with that monitor you’d be missing half a scroll bar for example.
the terrifying thought was, that this LG 32GK650F-B must have had this issue at the earliest sample, that they made. they looked at it and tested it and they didn’t give a frick and thought that the “morons buying our garbage” will just buy that garbage just the same.

and thank you very much for verifying, that it is indeed an RGB subpixel layout :slight_smile:

without a calibration tool or a decent enough “reference”-ish monitor it can be hard to tell indeed. the clear issues with a wide gamut monitor used unclamped and showing srgb mode are commonly: pinkish skin, instead of naturally looking skin and rediish sand, instead of brown sand in the desert. those are 2 quite common ones.
but yeah hard to test.
but if one can set display color space > sRGB and all the color adjustment settings are still there, i’d hope, that it is indeed working properly and can be adjusted close enough too :slight_smile:

I’m interested to know how the after-market stands work for you and may try one of those myself down the road.

unless i forget i’ll write my experience of it when i get the monitor and stand. europe still has it at over 1400 euros and i figured i’ll give it a month to see if it normalizes to at least 1200 euros, which is still more than it should cost, when you take 1000 us dollars, convert to euros and add 25% theft on it. :confused:

helped a lot. thanksies :slight_smile: ah so excited to get one myself now!

you are wrong, wei_wu already pointed out, that at bigger 40 + inch sizes there are a bunch, which is horrible, but can be explained by them just reusing tv panels, which of course for no reason use BGR subpixels basically always.
now the thing, that you might find fascinating is, that gigabyte actually made a high refresh 27 inch ips BGR gaming monitor :smiley:
the gigabyte m27q ( M27Q P is a newer version, that has an RGB subpixel layout)

given the many 27 inch ips high refresh panels, gigabyte must have gone out of their way to grab the one freaking BGR one, that a panel manufacturer for who knows what reason produced.

so gigabyte actually went backwards with the m27q :smiley:
instead of us going RGB on all panels, they thought: “let’s make all text blurry everywhere!!”

i’d just love to know what sharp (the ones who made the panel) and gigabyte thought when they made those decisions…

Seems monitors for gaming/video consumption have all sorts of interesting pixel formats. I’m mostly interested in now so-called “monitors for creators” (though I’m hardly a creator in today’s Internet) which predominantly IPS in R-G-B.

In Windows Vista, there was settings for sub-pixel font rendering (aka ClearType in MS lingua franca) which catered to all sorts of pixel formats if I recall correctly.

A quick check seems to show Windows 10/11 still has ClearType but I haven’t tuned it since migrated to Windows 10 and then 11.

“blurry text” is a deep rabbit-hole. Different people mean different things. Better not drilling down this hole. There are two legitimate technical reasons I could think of but it’s very unlikely caused by subpixel arrangements.

it does, but doesn’t fully correct the issue
as wei-wu mentions in a comment above.
also issues with a multi monitor setup if one of them is using bgr and the others are using RGB.

i mean there are lots of technical issues why text can be blurry on a monitor, but from all that i got, including picture examples, that i freaking can’t find rightnow, BGR subpixel layout does cause less clear text and also fringing.
ah i found one! :smiley: RGB vs BGR Subpixel Layout - What's The Difference? [Simple]
the 3rd picture from the top showing black text on white background.
it seems quite clear and objective to me, that BGR reduces text clarity here.

“user error”

Always go with same model/make for a multi-monitor setup. Just for the sake of aesthetics, I personally would do so. Can’t tolerate two slightly different monitor frames, not to mention different DPI, resolutions, screen sizes etc.

“user error” again. ClearType assumes RGB by default. Run through ClearType will correct the self inflicted wounds as the article stated. :slight_smile:

i heavily disagree there.

well first off, cleartype could work just fine on a per monitor basis. but microsoft is garbage and evil, so we expect nothing but spying cancer from them anyways.
2.: cleartype doesn’t fix all the issues, but mostly reduces them. there is no real full fix, even for a single monitor setup.

3.: the most important one:
not having enough money to buy 3 new monitors is NOT user error.
my primary monitor cost 300 euros. the 2nd one i bought later used for like 75 euros, which is the same asus pb248q.
the 3rd monitor is a used tn panel led backlit monitor, that i got for 25 euros.

being “poor” or efficient in buying hardware is not user error.
you are i’d argue the monitor here, with not being able to tolerate monitors with different frames, resolution, dpi, etc…

more importantly however, if you had to do work and didn’t have the money and the work needed 2 displays, then i’d guess you would just have to live with your primary monitor and whatever used hopefully not horrible monitor you could get.

also lots and probably most multi-monitor setups are having your 2nd monitor being your old monitor.

and it also doesn’t make sense for most people, who even have “lots” of money or (like in my case) actually prioritize a good big monitor a lot, despite being quite poor.

basically a person could either get a great monitor and some cheapo 2nd monitor used or new.
or get 2 decent monitors.
most people would prefer to have one amazing monitor and a 2nd monitor, that is “good enough”.

so if it was meant in a serious way in regards to “user error”, please remember the prioritizes and financial means, that most people have. :slight_smile:
i mean i would like to buy 3 38 inch 16:9 monitors + a new table or 2 tables, but well i barely can afford one :smiley: so that ain’t happening :wink: