Asus Crosshair VII Hero WiFi VS Asrock X470 Taichi

• Asus Crosshair VII Hero WiFi
  • Asrock X470 Taichi

0 voters

Battle of the boards. I have a C7HWIFI (with a 2700X) and I’m right at the end of the return period so I need to decide quickly. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others as well.

I’ll focus on the pros, and especially the cons of both, but I now know the CH7 much better.

CH7
Pros

• The most configurable BIOS with Asus unique OC presets for Performance Boost and RAM frequency timing configurations. May allow best memory support at higher speeds. My 2 X 16GB modules work at 3200MT/s (F4-3200C14D-32GTZ), stable in normal use, not fully stress tested yet.
  • Two M.2 slots both capable of PCIe3 X4 directly to CPU (RAIDable). This design choice seems to be unique to this board so far.
  • WiFi is 2x2
  • 12 USB ports on back I/O panel. Seriously. (Plus front headers, plus expansion headers on board.)
  • The board, accessories, packaging all feel quite premium.
  • Precision Boost Overdrive implemented.
  • FreeCrash BIOS Utility (technically “CrashFree” but read on…): plug USB flash drive with BIOS file into specific port and flash BIOS (I think also without RAM or CPU!) in case BIOS is corrupt. Not the same as a dual BIOS setup, but still useful and absolutely essential on this board.
  • When it works, works well.

Cons

• BIOS is alpha release level quality. If you enjoy pulling your hair out, oh boy does Asus have a treat for you. BIOS sometimes lags, getting increasingly less responsive until it freezes. Editing fan curves? Might crash on you. Boot loops. Glitchy behavior. Settings that don’t seem to have the same effect until you reflash BIOS. Yes, reflash. Resetting CMOS (convenient button) doesn’t seem to clear everything. Unplugging power, removing CMOS battery, and reflashing BIOS is essential and normal operation every so often when changing parameters, otherwise much inconsistency awaits. So if you thought tuning RAM is tricky on Ryzen, here’s a bonus wrench in the gears for you.
  • Known issue with fan calibration in BIOS… been a month and no fix/update yet. Seems to cause fans to go to 100% after some threshold instead of following the set fan curve.
  • Some people (not me) have issues with network devices (LAN and WAN) disappearing in Windows. I haven’t noticed any network problems in linux.
  • Realtek Wifi (r8822be). Not Intel. But seems to work fine.
  • sensors in linux: lm-sensors finds nothing. k10temp works to show Tdie and Tclt. sensors reveals only CPU fan … at 0rpm. Compiling it87 module from github brings cpu fan rpm reading only (“fan5” shows up but no reading, no other fans), a few other temps, and some voltages.
  • To those it may concern: some software like Corsair link, certain utilities in certain combinations, and RGB control software (Aura?) cause random shutdowns. Non-issue for me, and not clear if it’s Asus’ fault, but still might be a con for some.

Neutral

• PCIe lane allocation: 16/8 to first video card slot, 0/8/4 to second video card slot, 4 for M.2_1 (bottom slot), and 0/4 for M.2_2 (top slot), 4 for chipset. Some might not like having 4 lanes stolen from the 2nd video card slot for the M.2_2. For others (like me), this arrangement might be preferred.

Now for the Taichi. This is just based on reading and specs, so please add your experiences.

X470 Taichi
Pros

• Sensors in linux: multiple temps, fans, voltages detected out of the box.
  • Asrock seems more linux friendly.
  • Intel Wifi
  • HDMI output for APU support (probably won’t ever be used, but nice to have the option)

Cons

• No BIOS backup/flash mechanism if you can’t boot? Scares the crap out of me after my C7H experience.
  • Second M.2 goes through chipset. Disabled if the x4 PCIe slot is used. Common arrangement on many boards, but a con relative to C7H.
  • 1x1 Wifi. Why…?
  • Less info on RAM support (dual rank 16GB modules, possible speeds?)
  • BIOS seems to have fewer options (but slightly better documented) that may or may not hinder RAM/speed tuning?
  • Precision Boost Overdrive not implemented yet?

Any comparision of IOMMU groups between these boards?

Most of the Taichi cons are more about the element of the unknown. Please add your input, especially based on experience!

Of course another con for me is the hassle of dismantling my system, returning, reordering, re-setting up… Intertia might win after all, but what are your thoughts?

my love for asus and asrock is strong but i have to pick the asus for when they get out of alpha beta bios they are generally rock solid. asrock your close to but asus has you with the little things. ( btw you can swap the realtek wifi for an intel wifi card for about 30-40 bucks.) i have not used a mobo fan header for any personal builds in ages dedicated fan controller is a staple for me. over all both are solid but asus has been in my self builds since 2012 asrock has gone into my parents builds .

real question is can you endure long enough for them to get it rock stable for you.

1 Like

I was wondering if the wifi card is user upgradeable. I would imagine so, but can’t assume. Have you seen any confirmation of it?

Asus does seem a bit more featured and premium (and more expensive) depending on which features someone wants (dual X4 M.2 or 10GbE in the Taichi Ultimate). And in my case I do prefer the C7H strengths.

The worry is that the C6H seems to have been in alpha/beta for quite some time. Btw, the latest beta C7H BIOS (0601) was turned into a non-beta release with no changes… On the other hand I have been getting used to working around the crashy insanity (reflash).

Known working RAM+mobo and inertia might end up being the deciding factors.

Thanks for your input.

May be if you go for TaiChi Ultimate board instead of the standard TaiChi, the feature list would be more even… May be the price will be more even as well. IDK…
I am kinda Asrock fan and I’m kinda tired of seeing ASUS everywhere, just because they have huge marketing budget. Not that the Asus board is bad, not at all, I mean there is a reason they are so popular, but still, I would go Asrock, just to support the smaller brand.

If Asrock had the Taichi available at or near Zen+ launch, this thread wouldn’t exist. It was my first choice, since it had (more than) what I wanted.

As a brand I’m inclined to favor Asrock, partly due to my perception of them playing better with linux and partly because I’ve been irritated with Asus support. No idea if Asrock support is better, though.

if you look at the wifi card and it has a screw holding it down then it is user replaceable if no screw then tough titty says the kitty in the middle.

Really depends on personal use case scenario really.
Both boards have their pro´s and con’s.

From a technical perspective the Asus crosshair 7 Hero is the better board.
It has the better vrm implemention and better bios basiclly.
However the vrm implementation on the Asrock Taichi is also great.
And from a RYzen / Zen+ perspective, both vrm implementations are totally overkill.
So in the end you could say that they are both great.

Never the less if you are a linux users, and those sensor read outs,
are important to you.
Then Asrock Taichi might be the better choice.
But other then that, they are both decent boards.
Just depends on the features and use case scenario´s that fits you the most.

@looming-hawk I’m fairly sure the wifi module is in a vertical slot under the I/O shroud area, but I haven’t seen any removal/upgrade instructions. Not about to try right now, but it would be good to know.

@MisteryAngel I like how you describe the most expensive Ryzen boards as “decent” :smiley: Especially interested to hear the cons you see for both.

The sensors aren’t essential, but nice to have especially when setting up. I’ll probably survive without them…

Overall I really do like the C7H but every time the UEFI acts up, it’s rather infuriating, especially at this price point.

I am probably not helping but I’ll say it anyway just to be smug.

The Taichi Ultimate is 10,- bucks cheaper than the CHVII over here.
… yeah, the one with 10GbE, that one.

Apart from that it is damn early to make out a clear winner.
I am also on a beta BIOS but it doesn’t feel like one.
But I might just not dig deep enough to tell.

Lucky you. Here the Ultimate is $40 more than the C7H, but Asrock has a $40 mail-in rebate if you are into those. Crazy part is the Ultimate is $90 more than the non-Ultimate, and both Asrocks share the same MIR.

I didn’t mention VRM or price because, well, both are extravagant on these boards.

But the BIOS… some people have no problems on the C7H, and others are really frustrated. I wish I knew if it’s a hardware or software issue, that is, before the return/RMA period ends.

Aside: I find those MIRs really nasty, apart from the question of whether it will be honored: they often require mailing in the UPC very quickly. In Asrock’s case, within 10 days of the invoice date:

Rebate Request MUST BE RECEIVED online and the mail MUST BE POSTMARKED* within 10 calendar days from the order INVOICED date.

Meaning returns and RMAs will not be possible with the retailer. Quite a hassle and seems like a tactic for locking in sales.

Not even sure if we have those in Europe / Germany, if we do they are at least very uncommon. I would not rely on those, always think of the price you have to pay upfront as the real price. If you get something back, it’s a bonus. But nothing more.

Quite common here. Who wouldn’t apply for a rebate if it’s “free money”? But there’s a big catch: can’t return/RMA afterwards with the retailer.

My PSU had a MIR too, but I was really lucky that I hadn’t cut the UPC yet when I found out I needed to RMA it, so I got the retailer to exchange it. Otherwise the defect would have cost me shipping + insurance out of my pocket on a heavy PSU all the way to the manufacturer… just to get what I originally paid for.

All I can say for Asrock and wifi… the x370 and intel wifi solution left me not so satisfied. I imagine the x470 is not gonna be much better.

I can see that, probably isn’t meant for full time usage.
Did you use the standard small antennas?

Using a long wire antennas helped some but still a bit flaky. The issues lie within in the drivers and software.

Windows or linux? I’m guessing Windows since you mention software.

2 Likes

Windows mostly but have had some signal issues on Fedora 28 from time to time. Which could any number ills that that effect wifi signal strength at least for Fedora.

Strange, I wouldn’t have expected issues with intel wifi + linux.

I guess I’ll “count my blessings” with the C7H and Realtek r8822be. No connection issues noticed so far (Fedora 27). 2x2. Comes with an antenna with long wires for better adjustment/placement.

Signal is as good or better than expected to the wireless AP two floors down:

wlp6s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"[SSID]"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: [MAC ADDRESS]   
          Bit Rate=300 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=56/70  Signal level=-54 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:194   Missed beacon:0

And connects much better than expected to the main router, also 2 floors down, at the complete opposite end of the building:

wlp6s0    IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"[SSID]"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: [MAC ADDRESS]   
          Bit Rate=144.4 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=35/70  Signal level=-75 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:12   Missed beacon:0

I am currently running the C7H with a 2700X bios 601 with Windows and have not run it with Linux yet.
I have noticed a few glitches such as the fans ramping up but then I sorted it out by adjusting curves or rather almost flat lining the curve and have been OK since. I also lost my network settings in windows aka the LAN adapter disappeared completely but, it was after a round of post Windows install updates. I reinstalled the driver and have been good wired since, and for the last week I’ve been running off the wireless connection only and have had no issues connecting or with speed. I am tinkering with RAM but my issue is I bought 32GB 4x8 G.Skill 3466 and though on the QVL - only for 2x8GB, and I believe that to be the source of my issues. It will boot and can apply the DOCP 3466 profile but not stable, unless I drop to 16Gb (2x8). I swapped that kit out for a Corsair kit I had 2x16GB at 3200 and have been rock solid so I don’t really blame the board - I choose wrong RAM kit. (we’ll see I am not done tinkering that G.SKill kit)
Overall the system is bangin and performs well. I have two 8 hour plus runs on prime95 no errors or thermal issues. I’m only using PBC=Auto, PE=Auto for now and I get 4.175 all cores and often 4.34 on 4 or more cores and peaks to 4.35 depending on workloads applied. This is my first Ryzen build and I would not have chosen any other board. X470 is a new chip-set so is Ryzen+, and even though Ryzen+ appears to have come a long way I still expect some adjustments will be needed with BIOS releases to sort things out between Ryzen+ and X470.

TLDR
I would stick with the board you have now unless it truly comes down to something that you are after related to your OS of choice that can not be fulfilled with the C7H.

I noticed this too, specifically when the curve was very steep it would jump to 100% too soon. It’s working better after making it a bit more gradual.

That’s amazing. What kind of cooling and ambient temps? If that’s on air cooling, I must be doing something wrong…