Asus Crosshair VII Hero WiFi VS Asrock X470 Taichi

I also looked at those two boards to maybe upgrade (and the taichi ultimate). What you guys think about that 10gbit ethernet card? I absolutely dont need it (right now), but since im gonna recycle my current pcs mainboard, cpu and ram as a home server now, I dont see any reason I would not do the same with this new board some years down the road when 10gbit becomes more mainstream. And then I’d actually have a 10gbit port without buying anything extra. Just not sure if that actually makes any sence or not, since I could also buy a 10gbit nic in that very same future.

Its also entierly possible that I wont actually do that anyways and just have had a useless 10gbit port for quite some time…

I am using it and it works great. It’s also not a card.
If you don’t want to use it, it is probably a waste of money.

There’s your answer. But I suppose it also depends on the price difference between the Ultimate and non-Ultimate in your area, and also how much you use your network.

eg. I use a wireless AP with 100Mbps ports connected to the router via ethernet over powerline… no way I will use 10Gbps. On the other hand if you’re into NAS-ty stuff…

Speaking of cards, do you know how to access cards/modules in the I/O area i.e. how to remove that shroud?

4x8GB sticks at 3466mhz was probablly the issue.
3466Mhz on 2 sticks should be able to work fine.
But 4 sticks at 3466mhz will probablly cause too much stress on the imc.
It might be doable, but then you need to spend some time to fine tune the timings and such.

@sceps

I’m using a Fractal s36 AIO. Swapped the 3 fractal fans on the radiator with Corsair ML120 Pros, replaced the stock TIM with Noctua NT-H1. Chassis is a Define R6 (alternative layout) AIO is mounted in front. I have 3 ML140-Pros in the roof as exhaust and another ML140 Pro as rear exhaust. The ambient temp is 23C give or take depending on the AC cooling cycle (Central air set at 72F).

I have the s36 configured for PWM control and the pump speed is set @ 2000 RPM nominal with the fans at @ 600 rpm - with a curve that will start ramping things up once the CPU hits 60c. The top and rear exhaust fans are set at 700 RPM and will ramp up based on VRM temp when it exceeds 62c (so basically they never really move …) The system stays almost silent during normal use and even when running Prime etc. it is not overbearing but definitely noticeable. I am using Fan Expert 4 to control fans (AI Suite 3).

Yes, I choose poorly indeed. I am willing to pick up another kit to get a little more speed and I’ve been Looking at Corsair, CMD32GX4M2B3466C16 or CMR32GX4M2F3600C18 or just going all out crazy and trying G.Skill F4-3733C17D-32GTZKK but at @ 500$ a pop I could easily go broke experimenting. I already have one in the bucket :slight_smile:

I am still concerned about the Dual rank dimms 2x16 GB. Would they also stress the IMC potentially? I guess I don’t understand how the load is spread.

On the Taichi? You mean the plastic cover? That is screwed in from the back, 4 tiny screws and that thing is coming right off. This is how it looks without:

@Delta9K Thanks for the details. I guess your out of box performance makes sense since you’re watercooling. AMD optimization at work. And nice setup. Looked familiar too; I’m using the Define C.

You’re lucky. I had to pony up $600 for the F4-3200C14D-32GTZ. But hey someone’s gotta do the groundwork on dual rank dimms right??

Oh nice, that’s easy. Hope it’s the same for other boards too. I haven’t seen any removal instructions, and maybe that’s why. I wasn’t about to try it now, but good to know.

Only thing to look out for is the cable for the LED but that is a proper connector so no big deal either.
And for memory prices, I totally lucked out on my kit. F4-4133C19D-16GTZSWC - 179,- Euros. xD

1 Like

@sceps

Yes, I originally had 4 sticks 3466, G.SKILL (F4-3466C16D-16GTZSK) but it wasn’t stable using all four dimms. Using just two , no worries. So I swapped those G.Skill dimms out and installed 2x16GB Corsair 3200 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16) and it’s working great. But I’d really like to get just a little more juice if I can so, looking potentially at 2x16 GB kit of something to at least get 3466. I know it’s not much of a difference in the grand scheme but…

The Define C is nice! I’ve wanted to build in one but haven’t yet. You should post some pics if you get a chance in “Build a PC”.

Part of the reason, aside from cost, why I got “only” 3200 is that my eventual goal is 4X16GB and it’s probably difficult to get much faster with that config.

I really like the Define C overall, but I am super picky. Eg. I found one of the threaded holes for the side panel screws wasn’t drilled perfectly perpendicularly to the surface, and I’m reminded of this every time I have to access something. Bugs me.

Also the Fractal Design GP-12 fans (btw why did they ship a 120mm intake fan when it takes 140mm… grrr) make regular ticking sounds that my ears pick up from close especially at low RPMs. Did yours do that? FD will probably replace them, but I’ve already ordered Silent Wings 3 PWM replacements. I really want silence.

As for looks, not much to see except the Noctua NH-D15 that takes up most of the space. I also didn’t connect the power switch LED. At idle, family members couldn’t tell it was on, and it looks so “boring” they seemed unimpressed with my new machine. Just the way I like it. :slight_smile: And they didn’t even see the Noctua colors inside. :grin:

Na i wouldnt really call your choice that bad really.
I mean if you would dial them back in speed a littlebit,
they might just work fine.

But yeah just using 2 sticks instead of 4 will cause less stress on the imc.
The less modules you populate, the higher the clock and tighter the timings could be basiclly.
But its not like you are going to gain a whole lot really.
I mean 3200mhz is basiclly allready fine.

But yeah as of now the Crosshair 7 Hero, is one of the best boards,
But still it also depends on other factors of how high you could go on memory clocks.
Not only the board but also the cpu itself and also the memory modules differ allot.
Wenn it comes to overclocking, basiclly nothing is really guaranteed,
because every system is different.
But beyond a certain number you will get dimminishing returns anyways.

I would personally rather tighten the timings up a littlebit and take less clock speeds.
Then running the absolute max clocks with crap timings.
Because the tighter timings on less memory clock speed,
could perform beter overall.

1 Like

I don’t know. I always replace the fans included with any chassis. I like the Corsair ML Pro’s. The Mag-Lev’s are quiet (at least the magnet-levitation bearing), have decent pressure and airflow, work well on rads and as case fans. A decent all purpose fan, and they have enough variety in color options to match themes easily. Those Silent wings fans have a great look to match their performance and will definitely treat you NICE! I think you will like the look of them in your chassis as much as appreciate their “silence”.

I hear ya on that, I do like the minimalist look of Fractal case’s.
I get it since you like “Stealth” in your theme, (Dude, disconnecting the power LED, Awesome…) Since that cooler is “Taking up most of the space”, why not show-case it, on the sly? You could use the Noctua Chromax fans on the D15. I think those in black would look killer with that cooler. The black of the fans contrasting with the metal of the Heat-sink… For sure would look sweet and stealthy in your Define C, blending into the shadows and complimenting your silent wings… Let them be unimpressed, while you know whats really under the hood! I do hope you post some pics when you’re ready.

Thanks for the input Mystery! You inspired recollection from one of the vids on the L1 channel, I think it was stated that @ 3200/3400 was pretty much the edge of gains before diminishing returns. I don’t think I want to mess with that four stick kit any longer. I will look for a modest 2 stick 32GB capacity kit that uses B-die and at a reasonable speed 3200/3400 and tweak on whatever that gets me. Though, the Corsair LPX 32GB 2 stick kit (SK Hynix) I got now at 3200 is actually doing OK. Not like I am building a machine for workloads that earn money or serious competition. I just like to tweak on the gear.

It’s decided. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYb6I98DHh4

I’m RMAing though and hoping the replacement does better.

Thanks everyone for the input.

P.S. The wifi module is accessible but it looks like Asus doesn’t want people messing with it. 3 screws to get the plastic shroud off, then some slightly tricky clips to get the IO shield off, then 2 screws that fix onto the motherboard a vertical metal box with the wifi module in it, then one screw on the metal box, and a sticker that would likely be torn if the box is opened. Inside that lies the wifi module with the antenna connections, but I couldn’t see if it’s screwed or glued in place. It was braced with one of those black rubber bases like the ones for the M.2 slots.

The Corsair ML Pro sounds interesting so I looked into it… but reports of it ticking at low RPM are a deal breaker for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6ax5ud0Pw This is exactly my complaint with the GP-12! Apparently this a known issue with some fans. Maybe at least one of my GP-12s isn’t defective… I guess we’ll see when the replacements from FD arrive. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re really into the aesthetics! You do have a nicely coordinated look going.

I didn’t mention before: I got the windowless case. :wink:

@sceps
That was a killer Jam!

1 Like

I can say that personally I have used MSI boards in all my PC’s in the last years without issues.
They have a decent balance of features and support for a great price.
I am running a B350 Tomahawk Arctic right now and actually plan to upgrade to the board you are currently considering.
In the past I have always had issues with ASUS boards with memory in some form. Either brands, speed, timings, etc

My oldest MSI system is now 4 years old running strong without issues :slight_smile:

IMHO the quality of the software on the side of MSI is a mega win here as ASUS software has always been nothing short of horrible.

@Jimster480 I already have the C7H and was between these two models due to other requirements, but thanks for your input. How are linux compatibility and sensor readouts with MSI?

Asus certainly has some irritants, but I won’t be running any of their software. Everything in BIOS… which hasn’t been great for me on my first C7H. Now for round two.