Asus Aura Sync: Erased My Dimms!

TODO: Write up about that one time Asus Aura Sync erased GSKILL dimms so computers would no longer POST.

…sometimes it doesnt erase the spd just corrupts it once the software loads also. Need to explain that and post pics, and pull in old threads from the forum about this here.

6 Likes

Yeegads I have this trash on my laptop. Am I doomed? Was this guy a completely innocent bystander, or was he he trying to flash a custom SPD onto his RAM?

Hopefully Asus isn’t dumb enough to wipe factory installed RAM, but given their recent antics I’m not counting on it.

Ive heard before that the gskill kits with this issue also had some possibility of having the spd reflashed. I dont remember nor do I think the old links to such stuff is online anymore except that the software out there still exists

http://www.softnology.biz/tips_wptest.html

And that only some motherboards hafe the flag in the bios to enable spd write or to protect it and even then its depends on the support per ram kit from the manufacturer. Its pretty sketch to begin with. Easier to RMA.

The very fact that RGB can cause the SPD to be corrupted is ridiculous. Where did the firmware engineer alarm bells not go off and say hey perhaps the SPD should be write protected when RGB settings are in thr general facility too :joy:.

Doesn’t the SPD itself pull double duty and function as an I3C hub for all configurable ICs on DDR5 though? like PMIC and naturally the manufactures just strung the RGB controller onto the existing I3C bus.

Pass a malformed command to SPD and it might write a mem address on the SPD itself rather than the RGB controller. Still in excusable though

Taiphoon burner is the rabbit hole you want to go down but yeah there are fixes

1 Like

I thought spd on all retail dimms are read only even with burner.

Did it at least light up the LEDs in some nice colors? :wink:

Sorry, that sucks! :rage:

Can’t have memory leak if there is no memory

2 Likes

Oh god, this is the last thing I need to be happening! I already have a rocky relationship with RAM, this would be the final nail in the coffin. Better backup my SPD profiles (though I gotta say that the kit I’m using is labeled as made in 2023 so I don’t think I’m gonna encounter this problem).

Yeah this is an old problem and 99% of the time spd comes locked now anyway. However I noticed that the new icue release this old issue is maybe popping back up again. Developing story.

1 Like

I just keep installing it and uninstalling it when I need to change anything on my keyboard. I really dislike having services running for headsets, AIOs, mice and RGB controllers when the only device I’m using from them is a keyboard. Thanks for the heads up! Look forward to read the piece/watch the video.

I switched to SignalRGB, and ditched iQue, Aura, G Hub, and am much happier with now being able to set a fan curve on a desktop PC + one program to control all RGB. Now the software is a bit janky, but it works far better than all the stuff from Corsair, Asus, and Logitech.

2 Likes

Is it that simple to work with and low on resources? I found out that, for some reason, after Windows updated Aura resets all the RGB values to default so I have to fight to restore everything, for example. Did you have the same experience with Signal? Also is it possible to have it not run in the background? Like set up all the RGB and that’s it? Sorry for all the questions, but you got me intrigued.

The base version is free to try out, and what is paid for is greater fan control and some skins. Most RGB function work in the free version:

I have min minamize on startup, and it just keeps ever bit of hardware they support the same color or whatever you set. The only real limit is they don’t support every device:
https://www.signalrgb.com/devices/

Next it used about 300 mb of ram on my system, no noticeable processor or network.

1 Like