ASUS ASMB11-iKVM and multiple screens?

Running a Asus Sage W790 SE with a Nvidia RTX4090.

Unfortunately, from the web UI there’s no way to select a video output. For example, I don’t see the computer POSTing on the html5 remote control client… and it’s generally a black screen (but if I spam del) it eventually enters BIOS which becomes visible. Outside of that, everything goes dark and there’s no way to see the screen after boot.

So I’m assuming that there’s multiple screens being outputted and the ikvm only shows us one particular one, without the ability to select any additional outputs that could have video on them.

Any ideas how to tackle this?

Hey IonutZ, just an FYI:

some of the troubleshooting I’m doing in this thread may be relevant to your issue.

You may have already solved your problem, but if not, I too am trying to figure out some (weird-to-me) behavior in what feels like a very similar/adjacent spot.

I’ve got the same motherboard and it behaves similarly. The issue isn’t the secondary GPU getting output before ikvm; if I have a screen connected to the Aspeed’s VGA output while also viewing the ikvm, I’ll see the VGA output be acquired by the physical monitor seconds before the ikvm catches the signal.
The problem is the software client is slow and doesn’t sync up video right away, you might have slightly better luck with the java client instead of html5 client.

As a side note, on the high end ikvms, they’ll even have a web-launched .NET applet for 4k output; the java applet will usually do okay with 4k but noticeable worse, and the html5 viewer is awful.

Oh interesting. Can you confirm something for me?

When you’re using your discrete GPU, everything works (i.e., you get UEFI BIOS messages, your GRUB bootloader screens, and your kernel loading text flashing by before being dumped to your login screen), correct?

And you can also log into your board’s iKVM via the web-ui and see the same things? (i.e., you’re able to see your UEFI BIOS during POST, your GRUB bootloader screen, and your kernel messages before being dumped to the login screen?)

I’m trying to figure out of the iKVM perfectly mirrors the discrete GPU or if it’s treated as a separate display.

And if it’s a separate display, I’m trying to understand which one takes priority prior to the OS loading.

From my experience with an Asus WRX90, POST should show simultaneously on both the iKVM/BMC VGA and the discrete PCIe; once the OS begins booting it’s only on the discrete PCIe.

The BMC VGA (ASPEED AST2600) is a separate graphics card - it WILL NOT and cannot mirror the discrete PCIe card.

Here’s what I recommend to effectively use the iKVM via HTML5 viewer prior to OS boot:

1. Disable Fast Startup in BIOS (so you get old school POST instead of OS logo)
  2. Enable the POST boot wait time in BIOS (1-10 seconds or until you press ESC) - I recommend 10 seconds.

Now, even with the lag on the H5 viewer, you’ll have plenty of time to press DEL and get into the BIOS.

Not exactly, ikvm and discreet GPU will show the same things up through POST, but then the discreet GPU takes over once the OS starts loading.

Funnily enough I actually just ran into this on the H13SAE-MF I’m adding a graphics card but have no intention of ever plugging in a display to.
I could have sworn some of the Dell servers I used in the past had a way to force the IPMI video out to be primary instead of the discreet GPU. I’m not seeing that option on Supermicro’s BIOS, and I don’t recall seeing it on ASUS’s bios either.

Edit: apparently I was having dummy plug problems

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s no way to rectify how the ASPEED AST2600 works… it pops up as a separate display so it’s a pretty useless implementation for a KVM display lol…