Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

Thanks for the response tmp, you are correct that the IPMI does not update until the first successful boot. Everything is working properly now that I put RAM in the machine.

1 Like

Looks like they also came out with a B550 motherboard as well. Itā€™s nice that itā€™s ATX but I wish the 4x 1Gb NICā€™s were 2x 10Gb. Hopefully, one day theyā€™ll make a X570 ATX workstation model.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B550D4-4L#Specifications

well fu*k, here I was, hoping for an ATX version board with more sane PCIe slot layout than x470D4u/x570D4U that would allow me to use for example 3 more x1 cards.

What even is this? Wellā€¦ maybe at least the price will be much lower on this compared to x470D4u/x570D4U.

Board got relisted on Provantage and apparently thereā€™s 105 in stock. Now Iā€™m trying to cancel my unshipped order on B&Hā€¦

Their PAUL IPMI card might be the answer if it doesnā€™t cost too much. Grab a used ASRock X570 Taichi and throw in that card and youā€™d have a nice AM4 workstation with IPMI.

1 Like

that is still vaporware with no actual price or details available as of now, but yeah, it could be an option in the future (if it doesnā€™t cost as much as a second mobo)

New beta bios out, not really sure what has changed as the changelog appears to be the same as the 1.25 bios but it loaded and seems to work fine so far in my setup.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info, running the 1.28 bios now as well.
For some reason I did loose my UEFI boot entry during the update and had to reinstall grub.
(I upgraded via IPMI and not via Instant Flash)

This is completely normal. UEFI boot has essentially 2 ways to find appropriate boot entries:

1. During the OS installation they are registered in the UEFI itself. That was your case. The entry was wiped from the UEFI after bios re-flashing. (calling grub-install again is pretty much all you need to reinstall it). Or you can add entires manually with efibootmgr
  2. The mobo searches in predefined by the vendor locations (on the EFI partitions). For example ā€œ{efi partition}/EFI/bootx64.efiā€ is common (i think windows uses this). grub uses ā€œ{efi partition}/EFI/grub/grubx64.efiā€ by default here.
    So instead of reinstalling grub just copying/moving it to the bootx64.efi location should also get you back up and running. Although it may cause future issues during updates (if the update process is re-installing grub to the old location)
    The + side is that reflashing wonā€™t cause losing an entry anymore
1 Like

Anyone running windows server of any nature on this board? If you are what power plan are you using? I am running hyper-v server and with the balanced plan the performance is laughableā€¦ all cores on a 5800x run at 2.1ghz and only ā€œboostā€ to 3.7 but the temps and core voltages are good. Switching it to high performance and the performance is very good but the core voltages at idle are 1.4 and at boost 1.3 which obviously is driving temps through the roof.

That sounds normal for the 5800X, unfortunately it got a low-quality-but-working 8-core chiplet that is not good enough to be used in 5950Xs or the upcoming Threadripper 5000/Epyc 3 SKUs.

God Idk why its always mATX or itx only for asrock rack main stream boards

Did they even release the non 10G board (X570D4U) ? I havenā€™t seen it listed anywhere. Newegg says it might not come into stock at all. Did anyone manage to buy it? If yes from where?

Hereā€™s an open box one that is at a decent price: https://www.provantage.com/asrock-x570d4u~7ASRI0E7.htm

Ha, thatā€™s probably my former board. I managed to get one through Provantage in October, with the intention of building a NAS with two GPUs for remote gaming and some machine learning work.

Couldnā€™t get it to POST with a placeholder 1060 3GB; hard power off at 0x33 PEI_CPU_CACHE_INIT and wouldnā€™t respond to the reset or power button. However, it would boot fine with an older PSU, or with new PSU and GPU in the x8 slot (even with an LSI HBA in the x16). It also booted fine with my desktopā€™s 2080, so thereā€™s that.

Weirdest problem Iā€™ve ever seen in building computers. AsRock Rack tech suggested trying the beta BIOS, which helped it hit POST 70% of the time, so this is likely a BIOS firmware problem, not a hardware one. I returned it because I didnā€™t want to play compatibility roulette when it was time to buy the real GPUs.

May whoever gets the board next has better luck than me. One other thing to look out for: the I/O shield is hard to position perfectly, and if the UIC button doesnā€™t move freely it can interfere with the BMC causing all sorts of fun problems. It might take a few tries to shove the shield in fully.

Can anyone comment on the power supply requirements for this board? Or for those with the board, what PSU are you using? Iā€™m reading that it requires 40A on the 12V rail so my current 450W wonā€™t do it. Thereā€™s a fanless Seasonic 500 /550 (i forget) that offers 41A on the 12V rail. Is that good enough? Are there any other gotchas to know about other than making sure to use memory off their QVL? Iā€™m going to be upgrading a FreeNAS build to this from an Intel Atom C3950 setup, and I just want to make sure I understand all the requirements before I start pulling the trigger on parts. THanks!

I havenā€™t seen anything in the documentation that says that you need 40A from the 12V rail. Where did you see that?

Now Iā€™m worried about my power supply as itā€™s an EVGA 400W that only does 30A on the 12V ā€“ Where are you seeing that you need a 40A rail???

I found out where he got this info. He saw it on Newegg review for the X570D4I-2T, which has the weird motherboard power connector. This motherboard has a standard 24 pin connector so I doubt it will have the same issue.

Iā€™ll check tomorrow with my 450W PSU that I use for testing.

Awesome ā€¦ Thank you!!!