Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

Really cool stuff in here since the last time I visited.

Question for everyone: Is there actually a temperature sensor on the VRM?

How would we know if it’s getting too hot?

(Maybe it’s the “MB” sensor? Otherwise, I have no idea what that is, either.)

I have completed my build! I am running truenas scale and at idle I am sitting at 67 watts. I could not find eco mode so just running completely stock power options. I’m guessing eco mode is not an option with the APU I have. I will be able to remove my HBA once the sata cables come in and hopefully that further lowers power consumption.

Ryzen 5650g Pro 6 core
Asrock X570-D4U
4x 14tb HDD
2x 2tb Samsung 860 evo SSD
2x 256gb boot SSD
2x 32GB DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMM 1.2V CL22 / Micron MTA18ASF4G72AZ-3G2R
LSI 9207-8i
Rosewill 8 bay 4U case
650w Seasonic focus gold ATX PSU

1 Like

Eco mode is hidden under Overclocking submenu. It’s kinda dumb.

I started witnessing entirely random high-pitched noise, almost whining, from the board - but I don’t believe it connected to CPU load or the usual CPU coil whine.

It can get rather loud and unpleasant and usually lasts for 2-3 seconds. Anyone had similar or has ideas what it can be? No idea what’s going on and can’t pinpoint the location with it being so brief.

Guys, take a look at the screenshot, where you can find ftp details where all of asrock firmwares are stored, by motherboard model.
In the x570d4u directory you have bios version 1.55 (which I just flashed and for now all is good. Didn’t flash anything else yet).
And more bmc updates along with other stuff which I don’t know what to do with. Just download filezilla or any other ftp client and login according the screenshot. (ftpasrockrackcom)

Many interesting stuff in there. Please do share your wisdom :slight_smile:

Well, I tried the latest 3.x one, and when the BMC rebooted, it was unreachable over the network, over both the NCSI and the dedicated port. Same for 2.x. Going back to 1.35 didn’t fix it, so I had to do this to disable bonding, and that fixed it. And after I upgraded again, this time preserving net config, it worked.

https://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?kind=BMC#collapse57

I thought they’d added SOL support, but no, the button was just there until it finished loading, then vanished!

Quick update from my end: I ordered a pair of “Kingston Branded Memory 32GB DDR4-3200MHz ECC Module KTD-PE432E/32G” and seem to work just fine as 64GB of 3200 ECC DDR4 in this board. Memtest gave it 5 passes and dmidecode shows Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC and Total Width: 72 bits / Data Width: 64 bits.

so you eventually stayed with 1.35? what are those 2.x firmwares? should i try?

Hey folks I bought the X570D4U-2L2T board around launch and have been using it as a file server just fine with the following config:

• CPU: 3700X
  • RAM: 2x KSM32ED8/32ME (DDR4 3200 32GB ECC)
  • GPU: EVGA 1650 super
  • 8x SSD drives directly to the SATA ports
  • UNRAID on a USB drive

Firmwares are the latest posted on ASRock Rack (BMC: 01.35.00 BIOS: 1.70).

Earlier this week, I took the server apart and moved it to a newer enclosure (Silverstone CS382); during the process, I also switched the CPU to a 5600X I have lying around.

Now the machine won’t boot into OS:

• BMC functions are fine
  • I can get into BIOS too, change settings etc, but was never able to boot into any OS (UNRAID, Ubuntu USB installer etc)

The boot process can get as far as this screen below:

If I press the corresponding keys fast enough, I can get into BIOS, Instant flash or the boot menu accordingly, but any attempts to boot into the OS leads to a blank screen. If I don’t press any keys and leave things be, the machine appears to be hanging (no response to key presses).

Any ideas how to debug this further?

Use at your own risk, this is the latest BIOS and BMC/IPMI firmware ASrock Rack has currently cooked up:

(I only have X470D4U motherboards but am using files from the same “internal” source since ASRock Rack can’t be bothered to regularly update their public websites)

Only for the X570D4U-2L2T:

My ritual for updating the BIOS and BMC is:

1. Load UEFI defaults in the UEFI

2. Connect to the IPMI web interface and load its defaults there, reboot the IPMI

3. Via web interface: Update the BMC/IPMI firmware WITHOUT saving any old configuration

4. Via web interface: Update the BIOS WITHOUT saving any old configuration

I have two X470D4Us since 2019 and haven’t bricked any BIOS or BMC with that methodology yet (knock on wood)

Have you tried booting off another USB stick? Like a Linux live ISO?

I’m not familiar with Unraid, but I think it might have some awareness of the hardware it’s installed on and be having some sort of fit because it got moved.

Disabling Secure Boot might also be an idea.

But the installed BIOS 1.70 is outdated quite a bit and there have been many bug and security fixes in the past year.

Thanks a lot for the latest BMC and UEFI firmwares, that solved the problem :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try Ubuntu live USB stick, and that didn’t work either, so the problem was something related to going from UEFI to the OS. Now that I got it sorted out, Unraid turned out to be fine with the new CPU.

1 Like

Is anyone using the amd_pstate cpu scaling driver with this board? If so, what did you need to do in the BIOS to enable it?

My goal is to optimize power draw. I already have eco mode enabled.

My CPU is a Ryzen 3700X.

EDIT:
The latest version of the BIOS has the necessary CPPC settings in AMD CBS > NBIO Common options > SMU Common Options > CPPC set to AUTO. That’s CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

The board manual, of course, doesn’t describe what these options do, at all, or what the difference between AUTO and ON is. As not all AMD CPUs support this feature, I’m hoping AUTO just means “turn it on when I recognize a supported CPU, and otherwise leave it off,” and ON is manual control.

You will have to upgrade to kernel 6.9.0-rc1 in Linux to get preferred cores working correctly along with the kernel command line amd_prefcore=enable.

Took the devs like sixteen tries for this feature to finally get it merged.
SMU Common option CPPC needs to be set to enabled, not Auto. Same for preferred cores to enabled.

Kernel command line also to amd_pstate=active, or guided.

By any chance, do you have working credentials for ftp-asrockrack-com? Or a backup of an updated firmware files for a regular X570D4U (NOT 2L2T)?

I want to try to update BIOS to troubleshoot problem with GPU not working in Linux…

What’s wrong with just downloading the firmware directly from the Asrock Rack product page on the website?
X570D4U Product Support page

In case you’re serious and not just sarcastically trolling:

• ASRock Rack’s BIOS/Firmware update websites are outdated by years, even regarding critical security fixes.

• Example: The current AGESA version for all AM4 motherboards in general is 1.2.0.C from February 2024, the previous very important one is version 1.2.0.B from August 2023.

• It’s not that these BIOSes don’t exist, ASRock Rack just doesn’t even bother to update their websites.

Because of this I’ll never purchase anything from ASRock Rack again (didn’t expect such a shitty behavior) but at the same time I’ll always try to find updates for the products I already have (X470D4U and PAUL) via “other channels”.

Unfortunately these other channels seem to have been killed… :frowning:

If anyone sees a BIOS for an X470D4U with AGESA 1.2.0.C please leave a reply here, I only have BIOS 4.29 with AGESA 1.2.0.B.

For reference: ASRock Rack currently only lists BIOS 4.20 with AGESA 1.2.0.0 from 2021 in the regular download section and BIOS 4.27 with AGESA 1.2.0.7 from 2022 in the Beta section:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Download

This situation is unacceptable.

2 Likes

No I was being entirely serious. I have had no issues getting current firmware for my Epyc hosts from the website. EPYCD8 and ROMED8-2T boards.

They have updated the BIOS to cover the security issues of the past 6 months. They don’t provide every single AGESA version that has been released for the consumer boards that appear every few weeks it seems.

But then we are talking about Asrock Rack, the server part of the company. When I checked their products page, I found your X570D4U in the server motherboards, not consumer.

And the important security bits are provided by the firmware updates by the OS and kernel maintainers.

If you want to try and get something even more current, I suggest trying to wheedle some beta L.XXX version out of William at Asrock Rack. You may get lucky.