Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

Remote control /remote media works fine with the latest lab BMC firmware. see my prev post about how to install it.

rant
I DON’T KNOW WHAT ASROCK IS DOING! WHY HAVEN’T THEY RELEASED YET A STABLE BMC FIRMWARE? LET ALONE LATEST AMD MICROCODE IN BIOS, THAT IS A DREAM BY NOW.
I WILL NEVER BUY ASROCKRACK MOTHERBOARDS AGAIN!
/rant

Looking back, I think a regular motherboard, such as a ASUS something, with a pi-kvm project (look it up) would have been better.

Ha! I know, it was a bit of a rant, but you kinda expect some of the expense to be reflected in the quality of the product.
I did look at a pi based KVM before, but I am trying to “simplify” my machines down to the least amount possible at the moment. It is a nice little project though - Pilo: Raspberry Pi-Powered Lights-Out Remote Server Management for $60 or less
On the plus side, I went through the Intel Bootutil last night, doesn’t seem to have done a lot to address the 5 minutes plus the BIOS spends waiting around for the NIC to be detected BUT it has managed to stop it inserting itself into the boot list each time. As the server is going to be on 24/7 I can live with the boot delay once in a blue moon.
Just migrated all my storage and HBA over from my UnRAID box and got it up and running now (though will be most the day clearing the disks as I removed some of the smaller ones and replaced with a single 12TB)
Next stage is PFSense VM- which is the one I am not looking forward to…I am in two minds on if to rebuild a VM of my existing or go OpnSense instead - or I could do both, joy of VMs :smiley:

I might be off here, and it certainly depends on your use-case, but have a look at ubiquity edgemax routers. I always like having separate hardware for my network infrastructure, especially internet firewall/gw.

1 Like

I’m returning my x570d4u-2L2T board. It’s simply not worth the endless headaches and debugging. I still can’t get it stable at 1600 Mhz on the infinity fabric. It’s just spitting clouds of l3 cache errors, even on a beta bios that support sent me with with 1.2.0.0 AGESA. All the errors were recoverable, so it wasn’t crashing, but that’s just being lucky. This might be fixed in the future, but until then you’re just gambling every second that the system is powered on. If you get multiple errors at once, you’re probably cooked and done.

While I was leery of trying another Asrock board, I wound up going with a Taichi because it was the only one the local shop had had with ECC support, 2 x8 and a x4 pci slot that has x4 pcie on the second m.2, and I really want to get this project off the ground. I mean technically they had a Creator there which would also work, but paying 500 dollars for a single 10Gb lan port, and an aquantia one at that? Yeah… hard pass. I’ll just use a pcie card. I’m missing out on IPMI, but I’ll live with it.

Currently stress testing with 1900 MHZ on the infinity fabric and RAM just for the hell of it, and there are no errors yet. I have to say that the KSM32ED8/32M kits (and I’d assume the 16GB single rank version) more than exceed expectations. 1900 (3800 MT/s) on 1.2 volts is damned impressive. Admittedly I’m not mucking around with tightening the timings, but timings barely matter when you get up to quad rank, which I will be running eventually. In either case, I’d strongly recommend those sticks if you’re looking for ECC udimss. Currently it looks like the 32GB sticks are cheapest on provantage.

Anyways, back to this disaster of a board. These errors are tied to the infinity fabric clock. Anything at 1600 or higher generates errors. I tried everything I could think of and got nowhere. Manually tweaking voltages in ~10mv increments in hundreds of combinations (apparently Zen 3 is pretty picky about SOC stuff) didn’t fix it. Going in and messing with voltage settings elsewhere didn’t fix it. Loosening RAM timings to preposterous degrees didn’t fix it. Disabling PBO (which is dumb as hell) didn’t fix it.

I have no idea what the exact issue is. It could be the CPU, but it’s happily chugging away right now in another board. I don’t consider myself some master wizard overclocker by any stretch of the imagination, but this isn’t my first rodeo. I’m well accustomed to fiddling with stuff when needed. One way or another, this board is a pile of trash. It’s a real shame too. There’s a crippling shortage of boards with feature sets like this. Hell, there’s a shortage of 10GbE capable boards period. This does not fill the gap unfortunately.

TL;DR; Don’t buy this garbage. It’s not worth the time it will take you to get it running correctly.

I was going to go for the UDM Pro - however it doesn’t do dual WAN aggregation which was annoying, although it does do failover. I have a bunch of Unifi gear already so was in my sights as a potential replacement for my current router box. I hadn’t looked at the Edge range TBH. Though I did end up buying a new 24 port Unifi switch as I have ran out of ports now with this new Asus board needing so many.
I currently run fanless PC with a 2nd gen i5 mobile CPU onboard for router duties - it is more than up for the task even with some of the bigger PFSense packages and OpenVPN switched on, just it’s pretty old gear (albeit it’s an industrial PC build from a ship telematics system - it’s even IPXX rated :smiley: ) and got the upgrade bug.
I may just end up creating a replica in VM should the worst happen then I can switch it on if needed as a project.

Anybody got 128GB of ECC (preferably) Ram running on this board?

I notice that the board manual states (Section 2.5 p 22)

For a Matisse or Renoir CPU the max frequency for all 4 slots should be 2933 for Single Rank and 2666 for Dual Rank.

From the QVL that would give either
DDR4 2933 ECC 32GB Samsung M391A4G43AB1-CVFQ K4A8G085WABCWF Sec

or

DDR4 2666 ECC 32GB Hynix HMAA4GU7AJR8N H5ANAG8NAJR VKC Hynix

I can’t find details of whether these are SR or DR and even then I can’t find any supplier in the UK that can supply them.

Anybody got any stable alternatives please, want to run it with a 3950x.

Got 128 GB of DDR4 3200 Mhz RAM (NON-ECC) plug and play on this board. HyperX something. If you need specifics I have to look it up. No issues.
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x

FYI a new beta bios (1.33) has been posted for the 2L2T board.

2 Likes

It looks like it is a new beta BIOS due to the AGESA update note, so it must just be mislabelled as a “Lab BMC” instead of “Lab BIOS”.

The recent beta BIOS (1.12 - it says BMC…) for the D4U solved a massive problem for me. I had just built a new machine running proxmox with truenas and was seeing AWFUL performance transferring files over SMB. I tried troubleshooting by completely nuking the proxmox part and doing baremetal truenas - same behavior. I eventually installed Windows Server 2019 just to sanity check and had perfect performance.

That line about “Fix issue of low network speed in Ubuntu” seems to have wider implications than “just” Ubuntu.

Here also. Bios 1.12 solved the network speed issue in Proxmox.

Yeah, it should have said “fixed network speed in any OS other than Windows”.
Too late for me, already using a QNAP 5Gbe PCI-e 1x card for network.

It’s probably one of those things where they only support and test Ubuntu officially and everything else you’re kinda on your own. Not exactly uncommon.

Yeah, it would have been if the problem would have had anything to do with the OS. The problem was in firmware though, and they deny it. They said that it was supposed to be addressed by AMD, but this is the ONLY MOTHERBOARD in existence with this problem. So no, it was just a firmware problem that, my hunch tells me has something to do with the way they shared the network port between BMC and the CPU.
The fact that it worked in Windows tells us that they only tested their probably very custom solution for that sharing only in Windows. They must have missed something, and I’m guessing very low level stuff.

Anyway, I’m glad they figured that out. A 2020 motherboard with less than 1Gbps real network speed is just atrocious.

Just a head’s up. BIOS beta 1.13 is now available for X570D4U, which brings the AGESA version to 1.2.0.2 (USB fix?)

1 Like

The X570D4U-2L2T also has a new beta BIOS update ver. 1.34, which includes the AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2 update.

Anyone had any luck getting CPUs to turbo on this board? Current configuration is the X570D4U-2L2T with a RYZEN 5900X. OS is Hyper-V server.

Putting the CPU at 100% with CPU-Z stressing does not make it turbo above the base speed

OS is in performance mode, though I am unsure if it makes a difference on Hyper-V server

BIOS on the board is at L1.30b release. Thermals are in check so I dont think the lack of boost is thermal related.

Turbos fine on my system running Unraid a 3700x. Checked it using the following command:

grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo

Had you tweaked any BIOS settings at all?

I have changed the following, boot order and nothing else:

Advanced → power policy → Energy efficiency mode
Advanced → AMD Fan Policy → Water Cooling
Advanced → AMD Overclocking → ECO Mode → ECO Mode → Eco-Mode (45W)