Asrock X570d4u, x570d4u-2L2T discussion thread

Thanks! I tried it and it works; such a simple solution.

What about the system inventory: is that also a function that doesn’t work for anyone?

yeap. I was quite angry with them, even called them, after numerous tickets. After a while I chose the sensible approach to this.

1. Bought a cheap QNAP 5Gbps pcie 1x card - QXG-5G1T-111C (I wouldn’t have been able to use that port for anything else anyway) so I don’t get bothered by the slow download speed on the embedded nics (Bug)
  2. Updated the BMC to 1.03 Lab (see my post above for details) so I will not lose settings between reboots such as fan characteristics and virtual cd count
  3. Ignored everything else and just enjoyed the server. It pretty much does what I wanted at this point so I stopped caring about BIOS settings page and system inventory page being blank… Whatever

Thanks again. I’ll try installing the BMC to 1.03 Lab.

Just bought this board, specifically the 2l2t version. It came with the bios flashed to P1.20, however I am unable to update the bios at all through IPMI. This of course means that I can’t boot with my zen 3 chip.

Is this a known issue? I’ve seen a couple of videos with people updating the BIOS, but it simply does not work at all for me. I can upload the bios. I can start the upgrade. Then it says that it has updated successfully, and reboots the BMC, at which point I relog and nothing has changed.

This function actually worked perfectly fine for me. Try downloading the bios again.
I did the bios update with the server OFF through the IPMI.
Running Ryzen 7 5800x just fine.
Be sure you’re using the bios file from here: ASRock Rack > X570D4U-2L2T

and not the one without 2L2T.

See my previous post and verify the procedure looks the same and you are not missing some steps: ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T - #1196 by Tenrag

Please note that bios version displayed in the IPMI does not update immedietely - the board needs to POST into the new bios first.
So dependig on what you mean by “nothing has changed.” it may be that everything succeded and the BMC just did not yet start displaying the new version string.

I tried downloading it again. I tried reflashing the BMC firmware. I tried flashing to 1.28 beta bios. I’ve tried it with and without the RAM and CPU installed. I’ve tried different permutations of the RAM, even though the entire point of having IPMI/BMC is that you can adjust the bios without components installed.

Nothing works. I get a D0 cpu error if I try to boot with the 5800x in. I suppose it’s possible I have a dead CPU, but that seems unlikely. DoA CPUs are exceedingly rare from my experience. I’ve requested a bootkit from AMD which will hopefully let me isolate and exclude this possibility.

Umm, no, you can monitor the status, and access the BIOS/host OS remotely, but not without POSTing. Think of BMC as another computer connected to the host - if the host doesn’t turn on then there is little BMC can do to change it.

But now that you mentioned you can’t POST it seems like BMC is not really your problem.

I guess D0 could mean cpu power problems? Did you connect the CPU EPS connector?

Other then that take out the battery and clear the CMOS (there is no neat button - you have to short 2 pads on the board described in the manual)

And check if there is anything in the IPMI event log.

I would also check the CPU socket with a flashlight to see if there aren’t any derbies in the holes and check if all the CPU pins are in place.

You are right in that you can’t adjust bios through IPMI without posting. I misspoke. I meant flashing. Well, that’s not the only use of IPMI obviously, but you get what I mean. I’m a bit frustrated at the moment.

Re the other stuff: Of course. The first thing you should do when you get a board is inspect the pins in the various sockets. I don’t even pull a board out of the foam until I’ve shined a light in everything. The pins are all visually fine. Even the pci lanes, the various pins for fan, usb, sata, etc connectors. It’s all clean. I tested the CMOS battery by pulling it and chucking it in a battery tester. Replaced it with a known good battery, etc, etc. Yes, I’ve attached all 8 extra power pins. I’ve even swapped power supplies, not that there is anything wrong with the one I intend to use.

The only thing that shows up in IPMI is several dozen instances of me logging in. There are zero errors reported anywhere at any time.

Arsock support has blamed my RAM, which I find doubly funny because its on their QVL and because I already know the sticks are fine. I swore off Asrock boards a decade ago because of constant problems with DoAs, failures after a couple of months, and nonexistent support. It seems that nothing has changed since then.

The D0 error I’m getting is the same CPU error you get if you stick an incompatible CPU in (or at least I think this is the case). It might be a bad CPU, but again, I doubt that. Bad CPUs are exceedingly rare in my experience. Meanwhile on the other side of the equation, Asrock has a well earned reputation for shipping garbage.

No problem, I got my own few frustrations with their X470D4U giving me ECC errors on a QVL kit at stock speeds. Got through a few weeks of time wasted RMA-ing just to get the board back with “nothing’s wrong” note.

Anyway:
I don’t have much more ideas for now: Did you put the memory in the A1 slot?
And you did not confirm CMOS clearing. Did you short the 2 pads for a few seconds without a battery or just tested/replaced the battery?
This helped a guy in a similar situation: ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T - #313 by Huang_wei

During my woes I specifically purchased a 2200G for testing only - the bootkit should make things clear

I shorted early on in testing. I’ll probably redo that again later with some of the alternative configurations I tested later. Beyond that, at this point I’ll wait a few days for a boot kit, and then if things don’t work from there I’ll just return the board and buy something else.

I can live without IPMI, particularly implementations that seem as half-assed as this one. The main selling point for this board was the dual 10Gb NICs combined with IPMI, but I can achieve the same by just shoving an add in card into another board with a x4 pci slot that goes through the chipset (I need the x16 or x8 + x8 for GPU and HBA cards). That also gives me the option of using SFP down the road should I elect to do so. On that note, I wish the version of the board without the dual 10Gb NICs had a x4 pci slot because I would have bought that instead.

Of course that would be contingent on the board actually working…

X470D4U is the board - x16 and x4 slots are wired to the CPU, as a trade-off both M.2s go though the chipset. (but the issues will be pretty much the same if not worse then x570…)

I was puzzled why they changed it for x570 - the prvious version was much more flexible.

But I guess that’s what we pay for in a very niche product. There aren’t really any alternatives with IPMI

• normal EPYC is much more expensive and there are no low power options
  • epyc embedded does not have any boards with this much PCIe slots
  • intel xeon - super mature with lots of options and rock solid but will be expensive when compared to Ryzen at power/price/performance
1 Like

The problem with x470 is that the chipset link is pcie 3. That means you run into bandwidth issues with nvme drives. I don’t absolutely need gen 4 speeds for a single drive, but I will be mirroring a pair of nvmes, so I do need/want the grunt throughput of gen 4 on the chipset link so I have some overhead for other stuff.

In a “standard” x570 configuration with a pci x4 slot going through the chipset and the m.2 slots split across the chipset and CPU lanes this isn’t as much of a problem. Yeah, you can run into some throughput issues with a gen 4 nvme drive running through the chipset, but gen 3 nvme is more than adequate for me. That would leave plenty of overhead for things like 10Gb NICs, some random USB junk, a few sata connections, or whatever else.

Running both m.2 slots through the chipset will cause bandwidth capacity issues no matter what if you intend on using two non garbage nvme drives.

1 Like

I’m able to post now. I replaced the 2x32GB with a single 8GB stick of random junk RAM in the A1 slot. This let me post the system. Then I shut it down and swapped back to the 2xKSM32ED8/32ME kit.

The fact that the debug code indicated a CPU problem combined with the fact that that memory is specifically on their QVL is quite confusing. I can honestly say that I have never had anything quite like this happen before with any system build I’ve done in the past.

Their memory training isn’t the greatest (I already mentioned my own RAM problems) but I wouldn’t have guessed D0 means this.

So the support wasn’t that useless after all…

Support initially blamed the failure to flash the bios on not having ram installed despite me initially stating that the flash did not appear to be working whether or not the RAM was installed, and the fact that it’s not necessary to do the initial flashing. Obviously you can’t POST without RAM, but there was no indication that the flash was successful at all initially. So, perhaps they were in the right area, but if that’s what they were originally going for, it was rather poorly stated. The RAM is on their QVL as well.

Right now the system seems hard locked at 2666 MT/s, which is not what I want either. I bought 3200 sticks specifically to use them at 3200, possibly higher, and any attempt to fiddle with the memory speeds is resulting in a d1 error. That error code says there’s a northbridge problem, but given the error codes so far, who knows what that means.

I’m honestly about to just return this board and go with a standard ATX/mATX board that supports ECC, because this is turning into far more hassle than the upsides of onboard 10Gb lan and IPMI are worth. Especially since half the IPMI features aren’t functional in the first place.

I think I figured it out. The memory speeds reported in the bios and the overclocking interface are not consistent.

For those that are unaware, DDR means double data rate. In laymans terms that means that the memory can do two operations per clock cycle, or is twice as fast as it says it is. Most systems these days report the doubled value, but if you look at your ram speed with CPUZ or something of that sort, you’ll get the actual clock speed, which will be half. So if you buy a 3200 MHz kit, the actual clock is 1600 MHz, and the data rate is 3200 MT/s.

This board reports the doubled value on the first page of the bios. However the overclocking section (which I’m forced to use since it apparently will not recognize the memory on the QVL at the correct speed), appears to use the actual clock speed.

This means that when I was fiddling around trying to manually enter the clock speed for the RAM, I was shoving double the value in, which would explain why it wouldn’t boot. Even when I thought I was underclocking it as a sanity check, I was actually overclocking it to 4800. I’ve seen boards that report the “actual” clock speed before. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a board that displays one value in one section, and the other in another though. That’s a new one.

Currently chilling at 3600 MT/s with memtest chewing on it. I think I’ll let that bake overnight and we’ll see where we’re at in the morning.

Yeah, I already don’t remember how many times I pointed this out to people, those boards all behave differently when compared to consumer boards.

Asrock should know better and at the very least be consistent but I guess it is expected - those boards are a good introduction of server-side-of-things to people used to consumer stuff. Annoying but in the long run those people are set to learn a valuable lesson.
And home-server niche could become a bigger market with better offerings!

Just a few posts I found in 1 minute search:

The confusion on my end came from the fact that it lists both combined with the insanely high speed options in the bios. I do not believe I’ve ever seen a board do that before. Not even the server boards I’ve done stuff with on the past. There have been plenty of consumer boards that listed stuff in actual clock rates, but it’s always been one or the other.

The real WTF though is why on earth does it have memory clocks that go up that high? Isn’t the world record with liquid nitrogen just over 7k MT/s?, aka 3500 MHZ? There is no conceivable reality in which half of the options on that menu are obtainable. If the board had capped the OC settings at 2000, or even 2400, it might have been a clue to put 2 and 2 together.

1 Like

I think they just didn’t bother - the BIOS back-end code was probably initially copied from their AM4 consumer boards and the OC menu was hardly validated/worked-on.

AM4 can not be called a mature server platform at this point. The best we can hope for is for the menu not to be removed entirely.
For example RAM voltage setting was removed at some point on the X470D4U - don’t know if X570 boards still have it.

Kida chicken and the egg - no support because AM4 is not popular server platform, not popular because support and board selection sucks.