AsRock X570 ITX TB3 - And audio latency on Ryzen 3rd gen in general

Hi guys, hope this is the right place, first post here!

So I just watched the video about thunderbolt 3 on ryzen. I’m on of those edge cases who uses TB3 regularly for audio production with my Universal Audio Arrow for real time VST recording/playing.

What worries me about transitioning into Ryzen is that I’ve heard it has some latency issue that might affect me.
You see, working with real time VSTs, latency is everything. Which is why I went through the hassle of going with a TB3 audio interface on a Z370 system. I’m getting about 2.5ms roundtrip.

Has anyone had any experience with using ASIO audio interfaces with real time VSTs versus using the same setup on Intel system and can confirm/debunk my latency worries?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don’t have a TB audio interface.

Is there anything I can check with a MOTU UltraLite AVB (USB/AVB Ethernet) with a 3700X/X570 Taichi/64 GB)?

https://motu.com/products/avb/ultralite-avb/specs.html

Don’t have it connected yet since I’m redoing all my computer setups (with hickups…) but could grab it.

If so, can you describe a testing methodology?

Honestly it wouldn’t be too complicated to test it. It doesn’t even require the interface to be TB3.

Simply, if you’re getting, say, 10ms roundtrip with your MOTU on an Intel setup, and you’re getting less/more latency on a ryzen 3rd gen setup, it would pretty much translate to any interface even tb3.
The systems would need to be somewhat equivalent; eg. 3700x vs 9700k.
I would suggest doing that with Guitar Rig 5 standalone, it has a built in latency readout in the settings. (I believe there’s a demo version available if you don’t own it already)

Thanks man!

I’ll give it a try with Guitar Rig when I get a chance. I currently have a Ryzen 3 TB setup using a Pre sonus Quantum interface. I don’t have any hard #'s at the moment, but from usage there is no perceived latency at all. I moved from a 6700K setup to a Ryzen 3800X. I am neck deep in recording an album , live and triggered in DAW drums, guitars, bass etc… several VST synths (UHE Zebra, and Diva) along with several N.I VI’s. I have not had to do any adjustments to the interface settings at all.

Here it is. Found the most CPU intensive preset. Can get it down to 1.1ms lowering the block size to 16.

2 Likes

Dude! Thanks a lot! I truly appreciate this.

Do you record with those settings? Are you getting any pops/cutouts?

Yes, that’s my default setting. No pops, no cut outs. Works perfectly. I am in the middle of recording an album, I have not done a full mix yet with the Rzyen, I will be starting to mix in a few weeks, I may have to increase the sample size at that point once I start to add more plugins, but zero problems so far.

hmmm as a tb user i am intrigued by this nice information shared
@Kdavies ooooooooo that audio interface

Nice to see audio guys here.
ScanAudio did a great review on Ryzen 3000’s.
I’m still very happy with my Intel rigs, but really glad to see AMD taking market share.

Will be making my decision on new builds after Ryzen 3 and Tiger Lake are out this Winter.

With Intel x86 designs the cache is really helpful with latency and Time based plug ins like Heavily coded reverbs.
AMD cache and Infinity Memory design seemed to really help out.

Exciting times for us.

Hello…I have ordered Apollo X6 and I have a Ryzen 7 2700 and motherboard Asus Prime X370 pro. My motherboard doesn’t have thunderbolt. The only solution is to buy ASrock x570 Phantom Gaming itx!!..or wait for new motherboards to come since Intels permission to Amd for thunderbolt 3 in February 2020!!But if ASrock x570 itx works solid with Apollo UAD interfaces I should get this motherboard!!Please any feedback…

If you’re using the UA to record into a DAW I doubt latency will be an issue.
If you want to perform live I’d suggest an RME and Intel.
But the next Ryzen and the 10++ Tiger Lake are going to be great for audio and low latency.
Both teams are using new cache schemes which really helps with an Intel, with AMD they will keep their large cache but it will be unified.

Keep your eyes open for the reviews coming from ScanAudio. They have new Benches not available before for 16 Core CPU’s.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2020/02/27/2020-q1-cpus-in-the-studio-overview/

If you want a live rig I can share my real time experience in building. I build my own and have for 20 years.

Here’s my 1U RackMount I currently use. Supermicro and ASRock Rack Workstation boards.

2 Likes

Hello…so I ordered an apollo x6 and I have a pc with aRyzen 7 2700 and an Asus motherboard that doesn’t support thunderbolt. So I read about Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming itx…should I buy it, is it stable or the thunderbolt 3 in Asrock isn’t stable yet.This year I know all the big companies will release motherboards with thunderbolt 3…but I need something stable, and the sooner. Please tell me your experience with this motherboard!!

I don’t use an UAD interface, But I do have a UAD Satellite (thunderbolt). I use a Presonus Quantum. I am using an Asrock X570 (Steel Legend) with a Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 card. Everything works perfectly, I would have no hesitations hooking this up to a UAD interface and expecting it to work.

Amazing, are you still able to get 1ms latency with clean audio?

I could certainly freeze my tracks in order to record live with plugins. I’m about to build a rig. This kind of latency would obviate the need for all this TB3 searching I have to do to support my lowly apollo twin TB2 device.

Recording is no issue at all with very low latency.
I’ve accidentally opened large mixes (with loads and loads of plugins) with my block size still sitting at 16, they work but you get some obvious clicks and pops.
Increasing the block size fixes that right away.