ASRock X399 Taichi's G.SKILL memory QVL

I’m slowly (but surely) planning a Threadripper build with grand plans for virtualised Windows gpu pass-through. This is not really relevant, but as this is my first post I thought I’d at least provide some brief context!

ASRock’s X399 Taichi is my intended motherboard for a number of reasons, but I’ve been wrestling with memory options. Sticking closely to the QVL and concentrating on G.SKILL’s Trident Z quad kits, I’ve taken certain module model numbers and searched for them extensively for UK reseller availability with poor results. The two parts I’ve focused on are F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB and F4-3733C18Q-32GTZSW … I wondered if it would be worth looking for other colour options in the Trident Z range, and this brings me to the point of my post. The last letters on G.SKILL’s model numbers seem to signify an aesthetic theme only (i.e. SW = Grey/White) so within the scope of the modules I’m interested in, these aesthetic code differences mean there are a number of different options for each:

F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB (grey/red) - on the QVL
F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW (black/white)
F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKY (black/yellow)
F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKO (black/orange)
F4-3200C16Q-32GTZSW (grey/white)
F4-3200C16Q-32GTZSK (grey/black)
All of the above

F4-3733C18Q-32GTZSW (grey/white) - on the QVL
F4-3733C18Q-32GTZKW (black/white)
F4-3733C18Q-32GTZ (grey/red)
All of the above

CAS timings, frequencies and voltages are identical across each of these sets, so is it likely that if F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB is on the QVL, the other five colour variants would be compatible? It seems to me that they definitely would be, but I’ve struggled to find any information to support this theory, especially when most reviewers only pick the more expensive RGB variants of the Trident Z range. Thoughts?

For G Skill RAM all color subvariants within a model use the exact same ICs and whatnot. They use the exact same PCBs and everything, the only difference is the color of the heatsink.

2 Likes

Maybe a bit late to the table but that they are on the QVL doesn’t mean they are guaranteed to work as such on a Ryzen/Threadripper. I would simply suggest to get the Flare X since they are guaranteed by G.Skill to work under the settings given also they are on all Ryzen/Threadripper boards on the QVL as working as such.

Also you are better off looking for 3200 Cas 14 memory than 16 or 18.

Also 3200 Cas 16 can be either Samsung B-die or Hynix. and Hynix will not always work well and with the memory controller being the weakest part of threadripper and really liking fast memory I would go for F4-3200C14Q-32GTX

Thanks for the reply @Hakker this is certainly useful information, though I perhaps didn’t make clear that I’ve been working from the motherboard QVL, not G.SKILL’s QVL, so I’m very much hoping this is still relevant as the board only supports Threadripper? Unfortunately what I’ve actually chosen goes against everything you’ve just said! Oh dear…

I’m finally at the point today of being ready to build my system; the memory I’d ordered finally came into stock this week and has now been delivered. Based on the previous reply, that was good enough for me to opt for a Trident Z 3200 C16 quad kit (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKO) which was surprisingly well priced. I’ll do a “component test” build on Saturday and see what happens - if this memory is actually no good then it’ll have to go back. If that happens then I will look at the Flare X kits.

The C14 kits are all very much more expensive, and from everything I’ve read, the clock speed being fast is more useful than lower latency on a quad channel set-up? 3200 was as fast I could find from any manufacturer whilst sticking to the QVL and a sensible price point.

I’ll post another update here with how I get on with this kit!

Paul from Paul’s Hardware actually had initial trouble with the Taichi because of the strict QVL requirements. I think he tried some Trident Z RGB that was able to run at 3200 in his entry Threadripper build.

UPDATE

I’m pleased to report that the quad channel kit that I ended up ordering - F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKO - seems to work just fine on the Taichi, with its XMP profile of 3200 MHz / C16 / 1.35V applied. The system booted first time with all 4 modules installed on the board with its factory set BIOS on version 1.50 … everything still looked good after I installed BIOS update version 2.00 and applied the default XMP profile.

I did a quick installation of Fedora 27 and ran a couple of hardware util apps with results as expected, all except for dmidecode reporting a voltage of 1.2V which I think is plain wrong as the BIOS reports 1.352V … output below, for completeness:

sudo dmidecode --type 17

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0010
Error Information Handle: 0x0027
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 8192 MB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM 1
Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL D
Type: DDR4
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 3200 MT/s
Manufacturer: Unknown
Serial Number: 00000000
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: F4-3200C16-8GTZKO
Configured Clock Speed: 1600 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

sudo lshw -short -C memory

H/W path            Device  Class       Description
===================================================
/0/0                        memory      64KiB BIOS
/0/10                       memory      32GiB System Memory
/0/10/0                     memory      [empty]
/0/10/1                     memory      8GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 3200 MHz (0.3 ns)
/0/10/2                     memory      [empty]
/0/10/3                     memory      8GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 3200 MHz (0.3 ns)
/0/10/4                     memory      [empty]
/0/10/5                     memory      8GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 3200 MHz (0.3 ns)
/0/10/6                     memory      [empty]
/0/10/7                     memory      8GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 3200 MHz (0.3 ns)
/0/12                       memory      1536KiB L1 cache
/0/13                       memory      8MiB L2 cache
/0/14                       memory      32MiB L3 cache