ASRock X370 Taichi, Ryzen and Corsair 32GB 3200 RAM issues

Due to issues with my old RAM I went ahead and purchased new RAM for my ASRock X370 Taichi outfitted with a 2700X CPU (see below). Getting my PC to boot was a hassle (to say the least) but everything seemed to work fine, until I encountered a bluescreen. As a result i performed a Memtest which stopped due to too many errors.

While this RAM is not on the QVL list, it should be compatible with Ryzen according to various posts and also nice stats. In my opinion it also seems as if ASRock has abandoned the QVL list and there is basically no fast 32GB RAM 3200MHz C16 listed.

Any suggestions?

https://www.corsair.com/de/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

Edit: On Amazon, others complained of receiving faulty modules as well. So, I went ahead and reordered it. That being said, if the second ones don’t work, I’ll probably have to find another solution. (Hopefully, one that does not involve spending 500 bucks on the G.skill Trident Z).

Are you on the latest mobo firmware?

They’ve made major strides to get the memory controllers working better lately.

1 Like

I’d recommend updating BIOS to latest to give memory the best chance it can, but dual rank DIMMs can still have issues at about 3000+ I’ve found. Try at 2800-3000 range and run memtest overnight, see if its stable at that at least.

1 Like

Also may help to bump mem voltage up in increments to 1.4v and see if it gets stable. I have same ram and had to give it 1.37 volts to help with stability at 3200mhz

1 Like

Yes I am on the latest fiemware (AMD drivers) and BIOS (,5.10).

@2bitmarksman In order to test the RAM, I set everything to auto, whuch tranlates to 2133MHz. While I wasn’t spammed with errors (as in 3200MHz) I encountered one bit-flip error in the very last test.

@sanfordvdev Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

Given the fact I still stumbled over a bit-flip this RAM could truly be faulty, even though my initial memtest at 3200MHz might have just been unstable at these settings…

If you load that XMP how high does it go? Think this info helps in future somebody else if it just happens to be the same

My brothers x470 and 2600 did do same as somebody over this forum and I concluded that the mobo is just like that and there is hope in some bios updates :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one thing I intend to find out. I’ll also post the result here, because nothing is more annoying than finding a forum thread where the OP has fixed the issue without explaining how :smiley:

Anyway, considering my RAM issues:
I discovered the Memtest error mentioned above to be happening during a so called Hammer Test. Considering this suspiciously sounds like rowhammer I did a bit of googling and discovered that this test indeed did some rowhammering. As a result, I’ll disable the Hammer Test henceforth.
Sadly, I was unable to pass Memtest with any values above and at 2666 MHz. I’ll test 2133 again and then move to 2400.

Aside from being unable to sustain 3200MHz on my system, could this RAM be faulty as well? If this RAM does not produce any errors at 2133 should it be considered working? I’m asking because there were some complains at Amazon of people receiving faulty sticks. Furthermore, I’ve already issued a RMA on Amazon and I’ll receive my new sticks on Wednesday. But should/can I even expect a different outcome?

I have not looked on Amazon, but when there are indeed as many faulty sticks beeing sent out, then chances for improvement are not zero.

1 Like

I have a Gskill 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ that worked on the X370 Taichi without issues:

I don’t believe this was on the QVL list, at least when I bought it which was early last year. Enabling XMP also set it to 3200MHZ without issues. I am definitely not on the latest BIOS update, can’t remember the actual version but it was a revision from early last year.

1 Like

Interesting that these sticks are not on G.Skill’s own QVL list:
https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2952&model=2985
(Edit: You might have a different board than I, which could explain the absence of these sticks on the site linked above)

@MasterNurmi The maximum speed I’m able to achieve without any errors (and four passes) is 2400MHz. A little low for my taste, all the more considering I’ve purchased 3200MHz sticks :wink:

As a result, I opted to get my money back from Amazon and went ahead and purchased these sticks:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-32GB-(2-x-16GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Memory-Kit---Red/p/CMK32GX4M2B3000C15R

The are on Corsairs QVL list and should be able to run at 3000MHz on AM4/Ryzen. I hope everything will run as expected; they are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. I’ll post my results here.

I am running a X470 Taichi, 2700X, G.skill Trident Z, 3200, two 16 GB sticks at 3200. I can get you the part number if you like.

Sometimes it doesn’t want to post and takes several tries before posting, not trying to steal the thread however if you have a suggestion…

1 Like

@Azulath Please keep this thread updated. I also have a X370 Taichi with a R7 2700X CPU. For the life of me, I can’t get my older set of DDR4 3400 MHz RAM stable even at 3200MHz using the same timings at 3400MHz. I used to own a i7 6700k and was able to OC the memory to 3600 MHz stable. Right now I’m at 3000MHz on my R7 2700X and it has been stable using the default timings. Droping the Cas to 14 from 16 causes it to be slightly unstable…

1 Like

Keep in mind that almost all 16 GB ram sticks are dual rank (if not all?) not single rank. According to the motherboard manual, Ryzen 2700X single rank memory overclock is anything over 2933, dual rank overclock is anything over 2400. To get to 3200 I had to push the SOC voltage and RAM voltage. It is stable once I get pass posting, it sometimes struggles posting. I may need to drop the speed when summer arrives.

1 Like

I’ll post how my new RAM works tomorrow or the day after, depending on my mood :wink:

@SonWon I think you’re mixing up dual channel and dual rank. Single channel is awful and AM4 even recommends dual channel on each and every board. Dual rank is more difficult (and arguably also faster)

2 Likes

@Azulath thank you for pointing out my error. I corrected the post so readers wouldn’t be confused. This is what happens when I post while I have a sever cold.

1 Like

In conclusion to this thread:

The sticks mentioned above were stable at 2400MHz without any issues. However, the newer ones I installed this morning (see below) are able to maintain 3GHz at the times specified. At least they were able to complete eight memtest runs (no hammering), so they are stable enough for me^^

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-32GB-(2-x-16GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C15-Memory-Kit—Red/p/CMK32GX4M2B3000C15R