Asrock TRX50 VRM Fans - Are they needed?

Hi Folks,

So i’ve built a new TRX50 workstation around the threadripper 7980x and as I’ve been testing it I’ve run into questions about how important the VRM fans are and I can’t find any real answers.

For context, the build uses the following

1. Asrock TRX50 Motherboard
  2. TR 7980x
  3. Sliger CX4200i 4U Chassis w/ 3 120mm noctua fans in the front
  4. Arctic Freezer 4U-M cpu cooler

Initially when I was putting it all together I ran into the issue where the front VRM fans were obstructing the front cpu cooling fan, and made it that I couldn’t actually fit the system into the 4U space. After searching around I noticed the images for AsrockRACK’s own barebones WRX90 system features a very similar layout but without the fans.

I interpreted this as possibly meaning that with sufficient airflow provided by nearby 120mm fans, it was possible that the VRM could be sufficiently cooled without the fans mounted on top. I wasn’t able to find any info about whether this was indeed the case so I tried it and removed the fans. In the bios I found that the VRM temps were typically sub 40C. So far so good.

I completed setup and boot and would periodically check the temp of the vrm heatsinks with an IR thermometer, and found they never seemed to report higher than 50C even when running a stress test. Now I’m honestly not sure how accurate this sort of temp measurement is, but I couldn’t find any indications that something troubling was happening.

So I come to a couple questions:

1. Does anyone know if I can actually get away with removing both fans altogether? these fans are loud, enough to be disruptive so if I could take them out, it would make for a much nicer work environment
  2. Does anyone know how to find the VRM temps via lm_sensors? my system can’t seem to see them except from in the BIOS

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I would highly recommend replacing them with quieter fans instead, like Noctua 40x10s. Those come with adapters to let you splice the OEM fan harness into the Noctua’s wires.

Oh man, I had no idea the noctua 40mm fans were so quiet. Thanks for the thought!

I was also considering replacing the heatsinks with larger offset fins that would take advantage of the airflow that is already moving across the chassis. Has anyone explored this yet?

Iam not sure as i use a asus trx 50 board. But many YouTube videos and reviews made clear that the fans are overkill.
Maybe for OC ect…
Mine never run at all (7970x)