Asrock TRX50 fails to recognize Micron 9300 Pro 7.68TB PCEI 3.0 U.2 drive

Good day all. I’m a Newbie to L1 Forums. My Asrock TRX50 running the latest bios will not recognize a new fully functional Micron 9300 Pro 7.58TB U.2 PCIE Gen3 drive in any of the three slots tested with three different pcie x4 cards.

Thoughts? Ideas? The drive is fully tested and runs like a champ on z790.

What cards are those? How, exactly, are you going from PCIe (slot) to SFF-8639 (U.2 connector on drive)? If cables are involved, what kind and how long?

Try forcing the relevant PCIe slot(s) in the BIOS to Gen 3 speed and x4x4x4x4 bifurcation.

I’d recommend using the built-in SlimSAS ports with one of these since those ports are designed for cabled connections to storage (and the PCIe lanes come off the CPU just like the slots)

Hi @jhf
Welcome to Level1Tech!

Check out A Neverending Story: PCIe 3.0/4.0/5.0 Bifurcation, Adapters, Switches, HBAs, Cables, NVMe Backplanes, Risers & Extensions - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly for a very long painful story about connecting drives.

In your situation I’d try to force the PCIe slot to Gen3 speeds in the UEFI/BIOS.

What is very strange is that the asrock trx50 immediately recognizes older 8T intel 4510’s but not the micron 9300’s. Where might I find documentation regarding forcing the slot of the trx50 to pcie 3.0 specs?

I just learned that the intel 4510 is PCIe 3.1 rather than 3.0, and the .1 was to enhance the PCIe standard for communication compatibility.

Must ensure that U.2 ports are enabled on your motherboard are enabled in the BIOS setting. Sometime these are disabled by default.

Thank you. But there are no u.2 slots on the MB. That is why I am using a pcie card

On my AsRock TRX50 board and ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen5 PCIE card I have to set the bifurcation settings in the Bios to the correct lanes split. In my case with my PCIE card in the PCIE5 x16 slot I set it to x4x4x4x4 to support the 4 M2 cards I have inserted. Maybe you need to do something similar. With 2 M2 cards I set it to x4x4 and placed it in the x8 PCIE slot.

I haven’t got any any experience with the U2 format so not sure if this is helpful.