ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T + LSI HBA not recognized in OS (proxmox)

Hello!

Long time reader, first post on Level1Techs!

I recently got an ASRock Rack X570D4U-2L2T motherboard. Initially I had it working with a 3400G - but realized not all of the PCI slots were enabled with that CPU, so i got a 3600.

Now I have the 3600 installed, along with a NVIDIA Quadro P2200, 2x NIC in the x1 PCI slot and an LSI HBA in the x8 slot.

The GPU & NIC are recognized in the Proxmox OS, but the LSI HBA is not. It was actually recognized with the 3400G, but I also had it in the x16 slot, now the GPU is there.

I think the 3600 enabled some BIOS options I wasn’t able to access before, and now I’m not sure what the configuration should be.

When the machine boots up - it sees the HBA, and i get the Avago utility prompt before the BIOS loads. That runs and sees all of the drives attached - so I know the port is working. But then when it boots into the OS, there’s no LSI HBA.

Anyone know what I should check to get this working?

I tried setting the Avago boot support to BIOS only and disabling the OpRom in CSM support in the motherboard BIOS (as per this post i found truenas[dot]com/community/threads/lsi-hba-card-not-showing-in-freenas.82886/#post-573443) but no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

Jayson

Read the manual to see if there’s any reason that can block the 3rd PCIe slot. Reset the BIOS to load the optimised values if you’ve changed settings in the past.

Also: Manually change the bifurcation setting to x8x8 (instead of auto). Slow-initializing cards can make the board think there in nothing in the bottom slot.

the only thing is a cpu that’s not fully compatible (like the one i was using before) but in that case there’s no power to the slot, and no OpRom menu at boot.
now that i have a fully compatible cpu, i can see the OpRom menu, and the HBA does see the drives plugged into as per the boot screen.
the slot is working.

tried this, didn’t work :confused:

Just realized, you swapped places between GPU and HBA. Try the HBA back in the original slot. Proxmox is based on BSD (IIRC!) and I don’t think it can handle swapping around hardware after installation.

are you sure its an hba and not a raid controller?

debian

1 Like

100% sure. LSI SAS9211-8I flashed to IT mode. has been working for a while now with a different motherboard.

1 Like

it can handle this, but i’ll try it. the GPU does need to be in the x16 slot though, since the x8 slot below doesn’t allow for the pins to extend past the slot.

there might be a bios setting to change when you use all the pcie slots?

One more thing to try: Disable inventory managment in the BIOS (BMC/managment tab)

Ok, well i decided to double check if i was able to put the x16 NVIDIA Quadro in the x8 slot, and i was wrong, it does allow for the pins to extend past the slot. so i swapped the GPU and HBA, and… well… now it works! when all 3 (or maybe just the x16 and x8) PCI slots are used, the x16 is in x8 mode anyway.

I think I’m good to go! thanks for helping me troubleshoot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.