ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T

I’m really interested in using this motherboard and a 3700X but for live performance, and using my collection of 1U server cases.

I’m confident there’s plenty of IPC and acceptable latency, but hope to get opinions on heat, build quality and stability.
Won’t be using GFX Card, but the ASPEED chip for meager 2D monitoring.

Love reading posts from folks here. Way above my pay grade, plus I get to learn.

Thanks for any advice.

3700X and a 1U, you might want to look at the Dynatron L3. I bought a couple directly from Dynatron via there website, and got the AM4 brackets to go with it.

I use nothing but Dynatron since P4’s.
Great solutions for tight space.
Plus those Supermicro Barrel fans x 3 blow right through the DIMM’s and take air out the back.

Are these ASRock Rack AMD boards stable?
I’m using a C236, Z97 and H97.
100% but never tried AMD.

I am using mine for an unraid server in a 2U SM chassis. I haven’t had really any issues with it. I am using a LSI HBA in the top slot and a riser card for U.2 in the bottom slot, and have that hooked up to an Intel P4500.

My ECC RAM is OC’d from 2400 to 2666, no issues.

From the platform side, I haven’t really had a single issue with my setup. Linux Kernel is coming along well for AMD too, expecting good things in the 5.x space. HW pass through seems to give users a space to vent at, but I take some of that with a grain of salt as in the unraid forums HWPT can be a mixed bag from all vendors and platforms and cards.

1 Like

I can only speak about the non-10 GbE X470D4U variant but if it is actually booted up and running then it runs solid, using 4 x 32 GB Samsung ECC UDIMMs, DDR4-2666@3200.

The onboard 2D ASpeed GPU dilvers something like a 15 fps signal, if that’s enough for you then you might give it a try.

1 Like

Thanks gents.
Trying to read up on the X570 version in itx.
I’ll definitely stick with ASRock Rack though.
Exciting times.

hey

i am using all 6 SATA slots and pcie4 and pcie6.
can i use both m.2 or do i lose something if i use the m.2 slots?
i am running out of space and would like to add 1 or 2 m.2 ssds

It’s described in the manual, which I don’t have here. But typically when using a SATA M.2 you’ll loose a SATA header on the board and when using a PCIe M.2 you’ll loose 4 lanes elsewhere. There’s only a finite amount of PCIe lanes in total and SATA uses them too.

There are 3 parts in the manual, but i dont understand them.

Based on the text i can use the M2_1 without losing anything but when i use the M2_2, i lose some Sata ports or?

Thinking about getting the 1 GB version and using it with the 1600AF. No issues there, correct? Gonna be playing with Unraid.

Mastakilla what do you think a best way to test ECC functioning would be on non-server boards?

You can’t buy the Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T board in Europe anymore, and the vendors don’t have any ideas when it will be available. It’s been selling like crazy since that Steve’s building a ZFS unraid server video with Wendell…

I have a huge problem now…which MB to choose for a 3700x unraid or freenas build, primary for file sharing (also running 2 VMs (so far), and some dockers). x570’s lineup is still uncharted territory, x470 boards work, but the bios their V3 upgrade complicates the GPU passthrough…or does it still? Asrock has all sorts of boards, from pro4, to taichi to now the creator… seems like anyone should find something for themselves…but what if you plan to use them as a server build?

Any Ideas what board to pick for 24/7 operation for freenas or unraid server in April 2020 if I want to go with ryzen 3rd gen and the Asrock’s x470D4U2 isn’t available? Only the creator model has a 10Gb onboard network connection on x570 and only the taichi ultimate with the x470…

I know…even a B450 MB and R2600 should work for my use-case, but their price isn’t that much lower as is performance compared to 3rd gen…and it is presumably shorter lasting MB compared even to x470 taichi, let alone to this Asrock’s “server” MB.
Maybe I should just quit the idea of Ryzen and buy a used Intel server MB and some xeons and registered ECC in it… The life expectancy of those are probably much longer anyways…
The problem is I really like the zen2 efficiency though…and acoustic/thermal and power consequences that it brings…

What’s your primary use case for your build? This would make it easier to know if this is a good match for you.

Also, the AsRock Rack X570D4I-2T is slated to be released sometime this year, if you can hold off on the project

Primary role:
a file server for a small office with 15 users and a nextcloud server for 6 of them.

Secondary role: 3 VM machines with windows and GPU pass-through - one for older win versions (old expensive equipment), 1 for w10. If I could additionally pull a hackintosh on one VM for my media projects (video and photo editing would be awesome, but I really doubt it’s possible) All VMs with start on demand use, not all the time. One for CCTV security system (constant use)
Besides the docker for nextcloud and limesurvey, 4 other minor dockers (for now).

Would be cool but not necessary: plex server

I’d probably divide this up between 24/7 and non 24/7 use machines. I’d probably get a Synology for the File server, plex, surveillance station (CCTV) and next cloud (here’s how to install Nextcloud on a Synology). You can then make a dedicated box for your other VMs

My best experience for testing ECC has been with overclocking combined with undervolting. (more precise details on how, you can find in my previous postings…)

Others have had success with:

• find a broken DIMM somewhere
  • use a heatgun on a working DIMM
  • something with needles or siringes (sorry don’t have more details on this one)
  • Inject ECC errors with Memtest86 Pro or in Linux (but this may not be possible on most motherboards)

Also not sure if I’m the best person to ask, as I have never my life been able to find proof that I have ever gotten a single corrected ECC error. Probably because ECC reporting doesn’t work, but maybe I’m just doing it wrong :wink:

Can’t tell you which mobo to get instead, but if 10gbit is important to you, I also suggest looking at 2nd hand Intel PCIe cards (like x540 or x550) instead getting a crappy expensive onboard 10gbit… If you combine that with a decent x450 mobo, it probably is also cheaper…

I’ve thought of that…but 2 builds are out of my financial reach currently… it would be wiser security-wise and both could backup of each other…true.
I’ve found the amazon warehouse deal for the x570 taichi with a damadged packaging for 245€ and i’ll put in a used mellanox sfp+ card that i bought localy for 35€. If it doesnt work i can still return it and follow mastakilla’s lead. Thanks man for that.

If you can find one, most of Asus’ X370 boards have working ECC.

I’m running a Strix X370-F Gaming and a R5-1600 with 32GB Crucial DDR4-2666 ECC. The X370-F is a “Gamers board”, but it’s quite suitable for a homebrew server - decent VRM, lots of fan headers, RGB that can be totally turned off, and has an Intel i211 NIC (which is the consumer version on the venerable i210-AT).

I’ve also run this board with a R7-2700X, but I downgraded to the R5-1600 again, for power savings. I’m shaving 50W off peak power consumption by using the 1600 compared to the 2700X.

I’m running FreeNAS.

Edit: As for AsRock, I’ve had stinking luck with their boards. I’ve had three AsRock Rack boards, all three were either DOA or died within a month. They were all Socket 115x workstation boards. One arrived factory sealed with the socket pins totally mashed, one was just plain dead, and the third flamed out after a month (with actual green flames!). Thankfully Amazon took them back and refunded - I’m still waiting on a reply from AsRock. It’s only been 2 years…

Alrighty. If you need an Ethernet based 10g NIC, you could get one of these for about $36-40 USD

I’ve been pondering a similar question whilst waiting for the X570D4I, so had been looking into embedded Epyc [Snowy Owl] options:

Not sure about availability in Europe, but these have onboard video, IPMI, dual 10 Gbe [or quad 1GbE], and support ECC via 4, standard size, DIMM slots.
They are also low power too… in the 30-50W range depending on CPU.

4 core w/ Dual 10 GbE:
# ASRock Rack EPYC3101D4I-2T EPYC 31010 4-Core Mini-ITX
$600 USD at Prowess Computing

8 core w Quad 1 GbE:
# Supermicro M11SDV-8CT-LN4F EPYC 3201 8-Core Mini-ITX
$580 USD at Prowess Computing

8 core w/ Dual 10 GbE:
# AsRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T Mini-ITX Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 3251 SoC 8 Cores Dual 10 GLAN
$880 USD @ NewEgg.

If you were going with at least and 8 core Ryzen, 10 Gbe and ECC RAM, it may not be much more expensive to go with this board…

Features:

• Mini-ITX 6.7" x 6.7"
  • Support AMD EPYC 3251 Processor, SoC
  • Support 4 x DIMM slots, DDR4 ECC / UDIMM, RDIMM up to 2667 MT/s; 2DPC
  • Support 1 x PCIe 3.0 x 16
  • Support up to 1 x OCulinks (PCIe 3.0 x4 or 4 x SATA III 6Gb/s) + 2 x SATA III 6.0Gb/s
  • Support 1 x M.2 (PCIe3.0 x4 and SATA3 shared with SATA_4 port) up to 22110 form factor
  • Support 2 x 10GLAN RJ45 by Intel X550-AT2 + 1 x Dedicated LAN IPMI
  • Supports 12V DC or ATX Power Source

Hello guys
Im insterested to buy this board to double use - gaming and virtualisation. I would want to use it remotely with IPMI. And when im at home i would rather use it with external GPU and monitor for gaming. As far as i know IPMI screen doesn not work when you have external GPU working. Ive read that partial solution for that is …

You have to have the built in video enabled in the BIOS and also enable dual video support in the BIOS. 

… and connect monitor only when you want use external GPU. Without monitor the default display will be IPMI one.

FYI: Im not interested in gpu-passthrough. On current PC i switch between Proxmox and Windows disks on Boot Menu (F11 key)

Can someone confirm that? Its really important for me.