ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T

I’ve thought of that…but 2 builds are out of my financial reach currently… it would be wiser security-wise and both could backup of each other…true.
I’ve found the amazon warehouse deal for the x570 taichi with a damadged packaging for 245€ and i’ll put in a used mellanox sfp+ card that i bought localy for 35€. If it doesnt work i can still return it and follow mastakilla’s lead. Thanks man for that.

If you can find one, most of Asus’ X370 boards have working ECC.

I’m running a Strix X370-F Gaming and a R5-1600 with 32GB Crucial DDR4-2666 ECC. The X370-F is a “Gamers board”, but it’s quite suitable for a homebrew server - decent VRM, lots of fan headers, RGB that can be totally turned off, and has an Intel i211 NIC (which is the consumer version on the venerable i210-AT).

I’ve also run this board with a R7-2700X, but I downgraded to the R5-1600 again, for power savings. I’m shaving 50W off peak power consumption by using the 1600 compared to the 2700X.

I’m running FreeNAS.

Edit: As for AsRock, I’ve had stinking luck with their boards. I’ve had three AsRock Rack boards, all three were either DOA or died within a month. They were all Socket 115x workstation boards. One arrived factory sealed with the socket pins totally mashed, one was just plain dead, and the third flamed out after a month (with actual green flames!). Thankfully Amazon took them back and refunded - I’m still waiting on a reply from AsRock. It’s only been 2 years…

Alrighty. If you need an Ethernet based 10g NIC, you could get one of these for about $36-40 USD

I’ve been pondering a similar question whilst waiting for the X570D4I, so had been looking into embedded Epyc [Snowy Owl] options:

Not sure about availability in Europe, but these have onboard video, IPMI, dual 10 Gbe [or quad 1GbE], and support ECC via 4, standard size, DIMM slots.
They are also low power too… in the 30-50W range depending on CPU.

4 core w/ Dual 10 GbE:
# ASRock Rack EPYC3101D4I-2T EPYC 31010 4-Core Mini-ITX
$600 USD at Prowess Computing

8 core w Quad 1 GbE:
# Supermicro M11SDV-8CT-LN4F EPYC 3201 8-Core Mini-ITX
$580 USD at Prowess Computing

8 core w/ Dual 10 GbE:
# AsRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T Mini-ITX Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 3251 SoC 8 Cores Dual 10 GLAN
$880 USD @ NewEgg.

If you were going with at least and 8 core Ryzen, 10 Gbe and ECC RAM, it may not be much more expensive to go with this board…

Features:

• Mini-ITX 6.7" x 6.7"
  • Support AMD EPYC 3251 Processor, SoC
  • Support 4 x DIMM slots, DDR4 ECC / UDIMM, RDIMM up to 2667 MT/s; 2DPC
  • Support 1 x PCIe 3.0 x 16
  • Support up to 1 x OCulinks (PCIe 3.0 x4 or 4 x SATA III 6Gb/s) + 2 x SATA III 6.0Gb/s
  • Support 1 x M.2 (PCIe3.0 x4 and SATA3 shared with SATA_4 port) up to 22110 form factor
  • Support 2 x 10GLAN RJ45 by Intel X550-AT2 + 1 x Dedicated LAN IPMI
  • Supports 12V DC or ATX Power Source

Hello guys
Im insterested to buy this board to double use - gaming and virtualisation. I would want to use it remotely with IPMI. And when im at home i would rather use it with external GPU and monitor for gaming. As far as i know IPMI screen doesn not work when you have external GPU working. Ive read that partial solution for that is …

You have to have the built in video enabled in the BIOS and also enable dual video support in the BIOS. 

… and connect monitor only when you want use external GPU. Without monitor the default display will be IPMI one.

FYI: Im not interested in gpu-passthrough. On current PC i switch between Proxmox and Windows disks on Boot Menu (F11 key)

Can someone confirm that? Its really important for me.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but the board is still very interesting. I’m concerned if onboard AMD SATA controller is actually HBA (IT mode) or it is RAID controller?

I’m looking forward to build zfs cluster on this, but would like to avoid buying and connecting dedicated IT HBA like LSI3008 or similar.

Thanks.

RAID is an option in the BIOS. As with any other Mainboard-RAID, when turned off it is just an everyday SATA controller.

Also interesting on Asrocks’ product page:

• On Linux system doesn’t support Raid mode

anyone see the x70 matx version instock anywhere yet?

so I have this board and I’m putting together a system but it’s not posting. I don’t know how to find the ipmi ip to login and make changes. when I hit the power button the top right green led comes on and the bottom left green led comes on also the network leds show activity but no beeps or debug numbers or any video out at all.
is there a default ip address for the ipmi?

Fairly certain that is in the manual.
I had a different Asrock IPMI but that one was 192.168.1.1 or something. Otherwise just check your router’s menu, probably has a list of devices.

1 Like

The default is DHCP - so just connect it into your DHCP server (most likely your home router). After that you should be able to find it in the router settings/info - It should have a page about connected devices after you log into it.

Static IP is possible but it isn’t the default

1 Like

thanks, i got it in the router. don’t know why i didn’t think of that first. Facepalm

Does anyone know how control the fan speed when using BIOS 3.40 and BMC 01.80.00?

The FAQ says the following on this:
https://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?id=38
But both the my BIOS and the IPMI don’t have these options…

The instructions using ipmitool seem a bit weird as I don’t see which fan you’re actually setting and also I’m not sure if these settings are reboot-proof

Hello, I am experiencing same issue. BIOS 3.30 shows fan speed settings correctly in H/W Monitor in BIOS, but after update to 3.40, these settings are missing. I believe BMC doesn’t have these settings at all with this motherboard…

1 Like

Bug Asrock Rack Tech Support for at least a beta BIOS to put the Fan Control back into the BIOS.

Had to do that to get fan control for my stock EPYCD8 motherboard BIOS.

Using L2.42 BIOS, the stock 2.40 BIOS had no fan control anywhere.

1 Like

hello, im trying to build an unraid server using these parts

mobo: x470D4U2-2T
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
psu: evga 850 gold
ram: 64 gb samsung 2R ddr4 pc4-2133p-rao

once i booted for the first time it did not post nor did it show any error codes
on the actual motherboard it shows bmc p1.70.00 and bios at p.3.30

i logged into ipmi dashboard and i can’t see that info only the bmc firmware info
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.45.28 PM

1 Like

You won’t get the IPMI Dashboard to fully populate until you have successfully POST’ed.

Need to determine why you are unable to POST first.

1 Like

Has anyone had any throughput issues with the onboard 10Gbe nics on this board? I’m unable to iperf test faster than 7.36Gb/s one direction and 6.5Gb/s the other. I’ve eliminated all other variables and have narrowed it down to the onboard nic’s on this board being the only thing left as the cause. I’ve tested under both debian 11 and popos 22.04 to eliminate any OS configuration issue being the cause, there is no switch during testing direct cat6 cable between devices. Other devices being used for the test sustain full 10Gb/s both directions with ease.

Is there some bios setting i’m missing or is somehow pcie bandwidth being cut down to these onboard ports in some way?

X550 is directly wired via CPU lanes (the good stuff). So no. Although I’m a guy from the X570D4U-2L2T thread, I got the same Intel X550 NICs and all is running fine and well, iperf shows ~10Gbit and I can get my TrueNAS to show 1GB/s traffic on the NIC.
Cat6 should be more than plenty.

Are we talking full-duplex here or did you test two times and changing the iperf server after the first run?

Thanks for the reply! Sorry for the confusion, I meant separate runs, one with the iperf3 -R option. It’s very confusing because I’m pretty confident I’ve eliminated every non-motherboard related variable in my testing and it’s not like 10Gb/s is difficult to achieve these days on anything this modern.