ASRock Rack introduces the PAUL! An IPMI PCIe card

Problem (old):
did anyone with a non asrock board get video output before OS ?

As it looks like my gigabyte UEFI doesn’t come with buildin AS2500 support nor is any OpROM loaded.

Solution (new) (for now):

With this i can move on and test the same with my MSI board in Prod-Staging :confused:

1.09.04 is now out, William finally responded to my 2nd submitted support ticket. The 1.09.04 firmware has the same exact issue as 1.09.03 - it works initially but after a power cycle the card will no longer appear on my network and thus I need to stick with 1.09.02 or lower. Besides, in the fleeting moment where I was able to remote into the 1.09.04 firmware, I still could not get KVM video to work pre-OS. Does anybody have 1.08.00 that they can upload?

I’m ready to ask for my money back - directly from AsrockRack, this whole experience has been terrible and the support is unforgivably unacceptable.

“…ACHOO!”

PAUL_L1.08.00.ima.zip (25.1 MB)

If you can sort out your issues or anything changes please keep us informed.

I’m still severely annoyed that PAUL seems to be only solution of this kind (= has basic dGPU functionality) that can at least theoretically work with any motherboard model, as we know the ASUS IPMI PCIe AIC is locked to certain ASUS motherboards :frowning:

I wish hardware manufacturers where the software development side is incompetent (something like fundamental issues not being fixed after 6 months) would be forced to open-source their development tools for others to be able to take over to avoid electronics waste.

1 Like

Thanks for the upload - I still can’t get KVM pre-OS and at a loss on anything else to try other than RMA. I have tried multiple jumper configurations; SPI enabled, passthrough, disabled, and likewise VBIOS enabled/disabled. No dice.

The triage to get any kind of technical support with ASRockRack has been objectively TERRIBLE. How do big-buck customers get support on bulk server purchases? Do they still need to submit tickets through the same ASRockRack support portal and hope to get a response from “William” in under a week?

Im wondering if anyone else with the asrock paul is having issues with cold boot. For some reason my server will continuously reset with the power switch cable connected, I can get it to boot with the cable removed and then it can be plugged in.

After lurking in this thread for over 3 years, I finally took the plunge and ordered one from NewEgg.

Came with BMC Firmware 1.08.00 (which I’ve left untouched).
Testing with an ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX motherboard (before moving to an X570 Taichi).

So far all the basic functionality I wanted seems to be working…

• Web IPMI interface is decent
  • Can view/control BIOS/startup and choose boot drive / edit BIOS settings
  • Video out via VGA is fine… desktop is usable.
  • Remote KVM working correctly (with an internal USB header cable connected to USB 3_4 on the motherboard) - mouse/keyboard and desktop gfx fine.
  • Power On/Off working correctly (jumper wires to motherboard header pins)

@Thomas_Kittelberger I haven’t seen any cold boot issues in terms of not booting, or stuck during boot process. Conversely, when I first turn on the PSU, the system “automatically” boots… i.e. the PAUL card starts the PC… which is not what I expected.

Qs:
On Ubuntu (24.04) desktop, Network Manager tries to connect to USB networking… is there something via the USB header that’s trying to pas through networking / confuse it?
Do I have the USB cable plugged into the incorrect motherboard header?

The “AUX_PANEL1” header on the PAUL has a significantly smaller pin pitch and pin 'diameter" than normal 2.54 pitch on motherboard headers… and it only works by jamming two normal pins side by side (a single pin just falls off).
The small pitch also precludes using the reset pins (if the power pins are already used).
Did anyone find jumper wires with the correct connector size, or am I missing something obvious?

1 Like

The “AUX_PANEL1” header on the PAUL has a significantly smaller pin pitch and pin 'diameter" than normal 2.54 pitch on motherboard headers…

Correct, they’re 2.0mm pitch. For anyone else struggling with this, I bought 2 2x10P 2.0mm to 2.54mm adapter PCBs, 2 2x10P 2.0mm female headers and some regular 2-wide 2.54mm male strip headers. This solution does require soldering, but afterwards you can use any old DuPont cable to connect to any pin of the two AUX headers. Beware that it might be a bit of a tight fit, depending on other components in your setup / on your motherboard.

https:<//>www<.>aliexpress<.>com/item/1005002759317421.html

https:<//>www<.>aliexpress<.>com/item/4000516591663.html

An alternative is of course direct DuPont adapter cables like mentioned here: https:<//>dannyda<.>com/2022/02/14/how-to-use-connect-asrock-rack-paul-asrockrack-asrock-paul-card-how-to-add-intelligent-platform-management-interface-ipmi-feature-to-our-computer-pc-workstation-etc/#comment-904.

(I’m not allowed to include actual links?)

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out.
I’ll probably get the cables from Amazon…

Yes, you should be able to post links:
e.g. This is what you tried to link

New accounts are not allowed to include links until they build reputation. You’ll get that privilege if you stay active on the forum.

Ah, fair, I figured it would be something like that. Thanks for explaining!

I am seeing the same when it comes to the system auto booting accept, when i have the power+reset pins hooked up to the motherboard the system will hard reset in a loop until i unplug the power + reset. then it works fine and will be able to boot and restart no problem, but the shutdown wont work due to it just turning itself back on.

have you tried switching power+/power- and reset+/reset- coming from PAUL?`

As far as i can tell, these AUX Pins are not a potential-free contact but just share common ground. While one is always ground, the other one goes “down” by software (power off or restart). So it looks like a button is pressed.

But if the wrong one goes back to the MB it might do nothing or unexpected things, depending on how the MB recognizes a “button press”.

It might be necessary to include the front IO buttons in this consideration.

(My systems also automatically start if PAUL gets power, didn’t find a solution and just accepted it as hardware “Always Start on Power Return”)

in regards to the pitch, i can recommend:
Jumper Wires - 2.54mm zu 2.0mm 200mm Länge
https://www.komputer.de/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31&products_id=208
(Don’t know if they ship outside EU)

I can also recommend this one
https://aliexpress.com/item/1005002695195401.html
(Female to Female)
Just connect the yellow wire to purple from your psu (5Vsb).
(Only connect yellow to purple, use ground from usb header!! Or you might fry a cpu…)

I tried swapping the pins and running it without the grounds as shown in the quickstart guide with the proper jumper wires but it acts like as if the hardware gets the power on signal then shorts out and tries again. I RMAd my first paul which didnt have this issue but had another software related one. I am just not sure ;-; any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I will try the 5vsb to psu asap

Tried the 5VSB still having the same issue where it wont cold boot
its almost like its holding the power button too long