ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Bios 1.5? That’s really old, the latest BIOS is 3.31 for the 2T and 3.3 for the D4U.

Yes this is the pci header type 127 bug…that is fixed apparently in the latest agesa which is not available for these boards yet. Or you have to patch your kernel.

Hi all,
I’ve got myself a x470d4u a few weeks back for my unraid setup.
And everything was going well until I tried GPU passthrough today.

I’ve spend a few hours trying different combinations, it just doesn’t work, which is disappointing.
I’ve also received the pci header bug on my first try but then it turned into
“vfio: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3”

And if I enable the onboard aspeed vga in bios, which means the system is booting/posting from vga output of aspeed. Things are even worse, the system cannot do a proper acpi shutdown.
If I leave the onboard vga option in bios as auto (boots/posts from the Nvidia GPU), this problem doesn’t occur, but in either case passthrough doesn’t work.
Please ping me if/when there is a solution.

Try ESXI? Video pass through worked fine. Mostly ESXI’s fault in configuration. Passed through a quadro P2000.

I have this board and all was well for a couple of weeks. Installed a new HBA and now it won’t get past POST, hanging with error code 39. Tried resetting CMOS to no avail.

Anyone got any pointers?

Dash

and if you uninstall the hba?

Hi, I was trying to setup PCI pass-thorough according to the official proxmox guide and I realized that interrupt remapping seems to broken https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough#IOMMU_interrupt_remapping
After a little bit of investigation I found this thread at AMD’s website and it seems to be an AGESA issue which should be fixed in v1.0.0.4 Patch B https://community.amd.com/thread/241650

Anyway I opened a support ticket with AsrockRack requesting an updated BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.4 Patch B. Let’s see if this indeed helps. fingers crossed
Cheers!

2 Likes

Yes. I should have mentioned. It won’t boot with the HBA removed. I.e. same hardware config it was fine with for 2 weeks

poweroff
remove hba
unplug PSU cables
reseat cpu/ memory
remove cmos battery
press power button for 3-5 secs
reassemble and see what happens

1 Like

Thanks for the info!
But I am planning to stick with Linux environment.
However it’s a bit strange that it works with ESXI and not on Linux host.

Yes, someone else above mentioned that it’s something can be corrected with a new BIOS update. That good news! Encouraging. I hope they deliver fix with the next BIOS update. This board is perfect for a homelab/homeserver setup. It’s disappointing that GPU passthrough works on the end user grade board and not on this one.

However now I hear asrock releasing a similar new board. x570, mini-ITX. IF didn’t have this one already I’d consider this one too.

Is it crazy to consider the X570D4I-2T to be used for small form factor gaming? I was thinking about slapping a 3700x into a fractal node 202 and connect the 10GbE to a ivy bridge dual xeon server running unraid. The X570D4I-2T appears to be the only mini-atx board with 10GbE.

Well, firstly this thread is about the X470 variants and secondly those boards are µATX, while the Node 202 only takes Mini-ITX, which is smaller.
As for the question: It’s not “crazy” (well maybe a little bit), but it’s a waste. A lot of this board you pay for the server-ish stuff, which you wouldn’t use. You’d be better off just getting a normal board. No Mini-ITX available from what I know tho.

If you choose to go for the X570D4I-2T be a sweetheart and create a new thread and share your experiences with it.

Maybe ASRock Rack has learned from the X470D4U models’ issues and this successor works just like a charm…

3 Likes

Ah sorry, I saw some discussion of the x570 version and hopped on. Actually opting for the x470 matx now for the extra pcie slot. Corsair Carbide air240 instead perhaps. Its a fluid situation.

Thanks for the feedback, it will help in the decision process. :+1:

When I noticed in my email feed you guys talking about an X570D4I-2T I thought for sure it must be typos. But indeed it does seem to be a new X570 product, and an interesting one being mini-itx.

Probably a good thing I’m not in the market for a new server right now.

I have been working with ASRockRack tech support over the last couple days, and they sent me a beta BIOS v3.33 which includes the new AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 base code update. After installing this beta BIOS update, I can confirm that PCIe Passthrough appears to be working now for some devices.

2020-02-06%2019_28_27-Window

2 Likes

Despite the new beta BIOS version 3.33, I am still having issues with GPU passthrough. See attached for the microsoft survey script results. Any suggestions for this guys?

And I cannot share the beta BIOS - it was given to me directly from ASRockRack support with the explicit instruction that it was beta only and not for production use. And indeed - it caused me a headache to install. I had to reflash my bios like 7 times and unplug all my hardware before it worked. Scared me for a bit - thought I bricked my board. I’d highly recommend waiting until the real bios comes out.

If you want the beta bios, PM me and I’ll send you a download link directly. I’m not going to take responsibility for posting it publicly though.

4 Likes

Good to see AsRock working toward 1.0.0.4