ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

No ECC Reporting is supported on AM4
= official AMD statement (according to Asrock Rack)

I am glad I found this thread - I had my mind set on ordering this board for a new server I was building to replace two older servers in my homelab.

I was looking to pair this motherboard with a 3700x, 64GB of RAM and put it inside my current 24bay case. I was going to put proxmox on it, use the 8 sata ports and get a 16 port SAS card and build a lower power replacement for both my old opensolaris server and my ESXI server.

Based on what I read, I am concerned the board isnā€™t stable enough for my needs.

Also, I want to passthrough one of the ethernet adapters to a pfsense VM, and it appears you canā€™t passthrough just one adapter, is the accurate with the current firmware?

You could just get add in a nic and pass that through if you must virtualize pfsense.

I have a beginner question about the SuperMicro chassis - If i purchase a 3U case with a BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane, what else do I need to purchase to connect to the ASRock motherboard? Is it a SAS-HBA connector that I need? Iā€™m basically interested in the supermicro chassis and backplane but everything else custom and Iā€™m wondering what I need to make that workā€¦

The backplane connects with SFF-8087 connectors. Consult the manual of your backplane for the info on where to connect the SFF and power cables, and how to set the jumpers for the HBA configuration youā€™re going for. For HBAā€™s, if going for a single HBA, any of the LSI 9211-8iā€™s will perform well and should only cost around $30-40

where do I check the PCI devices in the BIOs?

I updated my MB to v3.30 and the nvme drive I have in the bottom PCIe slot is missing nowā€¦

edit 1
(FYI. i also changed the CPU out from a 2700 to a 3700x)

edit 2
trying out musical pcie devices

edit 3
there is a nvme option now in the BIOsā€¦so im guess whatever i put in the bottom slot wont work nowā€¦?

edit 4:

after poking around a whileā€¦ i found the option to change the pcie to 2x8ā€¦ i dont know why it didnt auto change to 2x8 like it says it should do in the manualā€¦

putting devices back in original places and trying againā€¦

Is anyone still having the issue with the IPMI either crashing or just dropping out? If it is fixed now, was it the new BMC and BIOS updates that solved it or was it something else that you did in the settings to get it to work 24/7 without issue?

If Iā€™m going to buy this board in the near future primarily for the IPMI, Iā€™d really like to know if it actually works 24/7 like it should.

Iā€™ll let you know in about two weeks if it happens again, just updated on Friday.

1 Like

Iā€™m been up and running for a couple months now, did nothing special other than stay current on BIOS and BMC firmwareā€™s (even on the beta site), and never once had an issue with BMC not being available.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. This was one area that was really keeping from committing to a build with this motherboard. Iā€™m still torn on a Ryzen or E-2288G build but this made me feel more reassured about going with Ryzen.

Did you change anything with DHCP on the BMC or IPv6/IPv4?

My network is strictly IPV4 (no IPV6 even enabled on my router). I am using a static IP and hostname. Sorry pics are so small, I had to zoom the window out to get it all in one shot.

One word of advice, I would set your IP, DNS, and Hostname prior to updating to the latest BMC firmware. For whatever reason, if you wait until the latest version, the hostname/dns tab getā€™s real picky and tries to force you to add things that the older version does not. I forget exactly, but just trust me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@all , seems the ftp site creds have changed. If anyone has an updated set, would be most appreciated. @wendell ?

Anyone heard any rumblings of Agesa 1.0.0.4 B release? Vfio passthrough still borked without patching the kernel
:ā€™(

If the past release ā€œcyclesā€ are any indication probably around Easter with an EOL notification :frowning:

1 Like

Having issue with ECC errors on this bord, seams more then me had that with KSM26ED8/16ME have two sticks, not sure how to proceed :confused:

IMG_20200117_154505|720x540

Thatā€™s Unraid, and the kernel level Unraid is on does not have patches to support ECC for our systems yet.

Me and another guy brought it up here: https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/68-rc1-ecc-error-with-ryzen-3700x-and-ecc-ram-r651/

1 Like

Oh thanks for that fast responseā€¦ :slight_smile:
Is it safe too run unraid and ignore those messages until its fixed?

I have been for a few months :slight_smile: no issues.

You can turn off ECC support in the BIOS in the meantime if you want as well, I did.

1 Like

Yes did so, and got system running and it seams to work nice.

But now i have another issue with my VM and after swapping gpu cards a lot and couldnā€™t get anything working I found out it seams passthrough is broken ?!?

What i could figure out that seams to be a solution is downgrade the bios, will give that a try.

Edit: Can confirm downgrade to bios 1.5 solved every issue with gpu passthrough both for my AMD and NVidia cards.

1 Like

Go into the bios and enable the RAM oc option, then set the speed to the appropriate speed for your RAM. I have 2x 16GB of those, had the same errors on Proxmox, cleared them right up after i corrected the speed to 1333MHz. Sticks were running @ 1800MTS or somethingā€¦