ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

Is it crazy to consider the X570D4I-2T to be used for small form factor gaming? I was thinking about slapping a 3700x into a fractal node 202 and connect the 10GbE to a ivy bridge dual xeon server running unraid. The X570D4I-2T appears to be the only mini-atx board with 10GbE.

Well, firstly this thread is about the X470 variants and secondly those boards are µATX, while the Node 202 only takes Mini-ITX, which is smaller.
As for the question: It’s not “crazy” (well maybe a little bit), but it’s a waste. A lot of this board you pay for the server-ish stuff, which you wouldn’t use. You’d be better off just getting a normal board. No Mini-ITX available from what I know tho.

If you choose to go for the X570D4I-2T be a sweetheart and create a new thread and share your experiences with it.

Maybe ASRock Rack has learned from the X470D4U models’ issues and this successor works just like a charm…

3 Likes

Ah sorry, I saw some discussion of the x570 version and hopped on. Actually opting for the x470 matx now for the extra pcie slot. Corsair Carbide air240 instead perhaps. Its a fluid situation.

Thanks for the feedback, it will help in the decision process. :+1:

When I noticed in my email feed you guys talking about an X570D4I-2T I thought for sure it must be typos. But indeed it does seem to be a new X570 product, and an interesting one being mini-itx.

Probably a good thing I’m not in the market for a new server right now.

I have been working with ASRockRack tech support over the last couple days, and they sent me a beta BIOS v3.33 which includes the new AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 base code update. After installing this beta BIOS update, I can confirm that PCIe Passthrough appears to be working now for some devices.

2020-02-06%2019_28_27-Window

2 Likes

Despite the new beta BIOS version 3.33, I am still having issues with GPU passthrough. See attached for the microsoft survey script results. Any suggestions for this guys?

And I cannot share the beta BIOS - it was given to me directly from ASRockRack support with the explicit instruction that it was beta only and not for production use. And indeed - it caused me a headache to install. I had to reflash my bios like 7 times and unplug all my hardware before it worked. Scared me for a bit - thought I bricked my board. I’d highly recommend waiting until the real bios comes out.

If you want the beta bios, PM me and I’ll send you a download link directly. I’m not going to take responsibility for posting it publicly though.

4 Likes

Good to see AsRock working toward 1.0.0.4

Does anybody have experience with the feature that encrypts the memory of running VMs independently?

Should get an R9 3900 Pro soon that is capable of that (to my knowledge only the Pro SKUs and Epycs do have it enabled) and am curious if you can use this on the X470D4U.

I starting to build on this board but my memory speed and timings are not kicking in automatically.? Do I need to hard code it in. Usually I’m able to just tell the board to use the XMP profile.

Correct, X470D4U does not support XMP profiles, so you need to code it in manually. I tried entering as many of the RAM’s actual specs as I could find, but it was not stable that way (with a 1st-gen Ryzen CPU) so I ended up just setting the MHz speed and leaving the rest on Auto. That did work.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

I really really really want to like this board but it’s testing my patience.
I feel like the B team has been assigned this board since I’ve had a few Asrock boards in the past I’ve been happy with. I’m trying to get UnRaid to work on it but the OS doesn’t see the HDDs attached to my AIC controller or my Intel NVMe AIC. Funny thing is I can see and manage the the AIC disk controller in the AsRock bios.

The NVMe drive in the M.2_2 and the disks directly attached to the motherboard are detected by UnRaid.

I just don’t get it. All the hardware was a transplant from another system so I know it works. uhhh!!! - Help

##2am Update ## - I figured some out the some of it. I hadto switch the PCIe to 8x8x instead of 16x so now all my PCI-E devices are powering on. All the drives on the AIC/HBA are being detect in unRaid but still no dice on the Intel AIC PCI-E SSD which now powers up. One last hump to get over…

Hello,

I get 5 beeps after starting the system on X470D4U. What could it be?
My config: X470D4U, Ryzen 2700, 32 Gb RAM ECC.

Hello back,

First: I don’t own that board so surely you will get better expertise from someone else in this forum.

With that said, to get you started. 5 beep could point to the CPU or GPU.

Does the system boots normally otherwise? If not, what’s the postcode?

The system starts successfully, but after turning off/on everything repeats.

Ok,

If you have a discrete GPU installed, I would try to boot without.

Then I would try to reseat installed components (GPU, RAM etc) and at the same time inspect connection points on components and mobo slots, so there is no bent pins and so on. Do the processor last, because of the hassle when installed in a case.

And, if you not in a hurry. Wait for som more ideas from the forum. Maybe it’s something way simpler.

Thanks,
I don’t have dGPU. I will try to start with RAM.

I believe 5 beeps means input/output error, which is ok if you don’t have keyboard mouse and monitor attached.
I also have 5 beeps.

1 Like