ASRock Rack has created the first AM4 socket server boards, X470D4U, X470D4U2-2T

No one here running Windows 10? (perhaps in dual boot like me)

In meanwhile I’ve figured out that it is not the RAM. I’ve just received most parts for my new desktop build and on my x570 mobo there is no problem reading the SPD from this RAM…

Can someone please check on their mobo? It should be a very quick check…

@Mastakilla

Yes, access to individual system memory module properties is unfortunately broken, cp. my posting from August:

ASRock Rack knows about it but I’ve never received a response when they plan to solve it :frowning:

1 Like

Now that version 3.30 is out… has anyone retested?

@aBav.Normie-Pleb
Thanks for the response!

I was working with Vitaliy (creator of Thaiphoon Burner) to try and figure this out. He send me a couple of debug versions of his tool that gather more debug info, but he wasn’t able get it fixed without Asrock Rack their help :frowning:

This was his latest answer:

It confirms that the SMBus controller of your CPU is configured and functioning properly. I have the same SMBus settings absolutely, but Thaiphoon and other software detect all SPD EEPROMs of my DRAM modules.

Well, the BIOS of your motherboard somehow reads SPD information and saves it to DMI tables. As you can see, Thaiphoon Burner reads the part number of your DIMM modules (9965745-002.A00G) from the DMI tables without issues. So, I believe ASRock implemented a non-typical way of accessing SPD on your motherboard model and it is not documented.

@nx2l
SPD reading under Windows doesn’t work on 3.31, which should be the same as 3.30 + a few bug fixes

Under Proxmox I can’t detect any i2c device neither.

root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 0
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- –
10: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
20: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
30: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
40: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
50: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
60: – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – -- – --
70: – -- – -- – -- – --
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 1
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 2
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 3
root@pve:~# i2cdetect -r -y 4

No ECC Reporting is supported on AM4
= official AMD statement (according to Asrock Rack)

I am glad I found this thread - I had my mind set on ordering this board for a new server I was building to replace two older servers in my homelab.

I was looking to pair this motherboard with a 3700x, 64GB of RAM and put it inside my current 24bay case. I was going to put proxmox on it, use the 8 sata ports and get a 16 port SAS card and build a lower power replacement for both my old opensolaris server and my ESXI server.

Based on what I read, I am concerned the board isn’t stable enough for my needs.

Also, I want to passthrough one of the ethernet adapters to a pfsense VM, and it appears you can’t passthrough just one adapter, is the accurate with the current firmware?

You could just get add in a nic and pass that through if you must virtualize pfsense.

I have a beginner question about the SuperMicro chassis - If i purchase a 3U case with a BPN-SAS2-836EL1 backplane, what else do I need to purchase to connect to the ASRock motherboard? Is it a SAS-HBA connector that I need? I’m basically interested in the supermicro chassis and backplane but everything else custom and I’m wondering what I need to make that work…

The backplane connects with SFF-8087 connectors. Consult the manual of your backplane for the info on where to connect the SFF and power cables, and how to set the jumpers for the HBA configuration you’re going for. For HBA’s, if going for a single HBA, any of the LSI 9211-8i’s will perform well and should only cost around $30-40

where do I check the PCI devices in the BIOs?

I updated my MB to v3.30 and the nvme drive I have in the bottom PCIe slot is missing now…

edit 1
(FYI. i also changed the CPU out from a 2700 to a 3700x)

edit 2
trying out musical pcie devices

edit 3
there is a nvme option now in the BIOs…so im guess whatever i put in the bottom slot wont work now…?

edit 4:

after poking around a while… i found the option to change the pcie to 2x8… i dont know why it didnt auto change to 2x8 like it says it should do in the manual…

putting devices back in original places and trying again…

Is anyone still having the issue with the IPMI either crashing or just dropping out? If it is fixed now, was it the new BMC and BIOS updates that solved it or was it something else that you did in the settings to get it to work 24/7 without issue?

If I’m going to buy this board in the near future primarily for the IPMI, I’d really like to know if it actually works 24/7 like it should.

I’ll let you know in about two weeks if it happens again, just updated on Friday.

1 Like

I’m been up and running for a couple months now, did nothing special other than stay current on BIOS and BMC firmware’s (even on the beta site), and never once had an issue with BMC not being available.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. This was one area that was really keeping from committing to a build with this motherboard. I’m still torn on a Ryzen or E-2288G build but this made me feel more reassured about going with Ryzen.

Did you change anything with DHCP on the BMC or IPv6/IPv4?

My network is strictly IPV4 (no IPV6 even enabled on my router). I am using a static IP and hostname. Sorry pics are so small, I had to zoom the window out to get it all in one shot.

One word of advice, I would set your IP, DNS, and Hostname prior to updating to the latest BMC firmware. For whatever reason, if you wait until the latest version, the hostname/dns tab get’s real picky and tries to force you to add things that the older version does not. I forget exactly, but just trust me :slight_smile:

1 Like

@all , seems the ftp site creds have changed. If anyone has an updated set, would be most appreciated. @wendell ?

Anyone heard any rumblings of Agesa 1.0.0.4 B release? Vfio passthrough still borked without patching the kernel
:’(

If the past release “cycles” are any indication probably around Easter with an EOL notification :frowning:

1 Like

Having issue with ECC errors on this bord, seams more then me had that with KSM26ED8/16ME have two sticks, not sure how to proceed :confused:

IMG_20200117_154505|720x540